PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

caronc
caronc Posts: 8,059
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
Forumite
edited 13 January 2018 at 8:51AM in Old style MoneySaving
Welcome to Cooking one (Mark Three), time to get a shiny new thread up and running. The link to "Cooking for one (Mark Two)" can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73708876&posted=1#post73708876

Cooking For One
13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?

Comments

• Typical, I just posted on the old thread.:rotfl: I will post my post again here, lol.

I can't stand this time of year, I just want the daylight back! I usually perk up in April.

I just had a toasted bagel with marg and Marmite and half the mini veggie pizza I made for dinner yesterday.

I think lunch with be HM soup as I have spuds, carrots, onions and broccoli in the veg drawer in the fridge.

I think I will make pizza again tonight as I have 2 mini pizza bases left.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,059
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Morning Wednesday, same here roll on March when I perk up as a start my seeds off which always perks me.

I had a lovely time with my sister last evening, we are very close but for various reasons it's been a wee while since just the two of us got together to have a meal and a glass of wine. Thought I might be a bit "muzzy headed" this morning but think my sister must have had the lions share so I'm feeling fine apart from the lingering stuffed up feeling from the lurgy. She really enjoyed the meal I had made and says she will be replicating it which was a nice compliment.

I'm not sure what my food plans are for today yet.
  • Morning All,

I've just had cheesey toast for breakfast, a bit naughty but very satisfying and I can go easy on the fat and carbs with a prawn salad for lunch.

I'm doing a small gammon joint in the slow cooker for tonight which I'll have with fresh pineapple, peas and chips.

I can't stand this time of year, I just want the daylight back! I usually perk up in April.

That was one of the reasons I started my walking challenge because everything I was doing was either inside or under cover of some kind. I do feel more energetic and motivated these days even though I suffered face ache walking around in minus 2c :D.

I usually start to perk up when I see the swath of snowdrops and crocus' in the parks and gardens and the bobbing daffs always bring a smile to my face. I saw the Council gardeners tidying up the bedding plots the other day in the park and thought spring is just around the corner perhaps I should get out there and do the same.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    It must be the weather, grey day after grey day, does nothing for the mood or sleep. I slept fitfully and woke at 4.30 so had a small amount of spelt flakes and a cup of chamomile then slept again but downstairs on my nice chair that tilts me back.

spelt and a few nuts first, later re-heated leek quiche and fresh coffee

Lunch, rollmops to use, so rollmops it is, with roasted parsnips, caulie and cabbage

I have sweet potatoes and a red pepper, they will probably turn into soup with a piece of hm bread. I have 1/3 of a jar of flageolet, will use them in the soup

Berries have to exit the freezer right now, to make a soymilk smoothie later. I have berry crumble to use, dark chocolate to nibble

I must get my arris is gear or it will end up as a CBA day, exactly what the weather dictates
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,116
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Morning all on this shiny new thread

Grey here today.
    Woke early but stayed under the duvet listening to local oldie radio, 1950s hits
    Then up and jumbo oats porridge nuked for breakfast. The bowl has been sitting in the fridge two days now waiting for the CBA wave to pass, this morning was the day. Eaten with Greek yoghurt & honey

Decided to stay in, 1/ no need to go out and 2/ in case I am a flu ridden germy bast4rd :D

Lunch is looking like some of Lild's Black Forest ham, on offer this week, with salady bits in a sandwich

Dinner I think may be rinse & repeat of yesterday's baked spud, beans & grated cheese. I did enjoy it, and tried new, to me, way of baking the spud. I heard tales of wiping in olive oil, wrapping in tin foil and unwrap 30 mins before end. Worked for me, a nice brown & crisp jacket. Mark two tonight
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • I'm about to put my soup on. I love the smell of a nice soup bubbling away on the hob.:A

That was one of the reasons I started my walking challenge because everything I was doing was either inside or under cover of some kind. I do feel more energetic and motivated these days even though I suffered face ache walking around in minus 2c :D.

Yes, that is a good idea to make sure you get out every day in the fresh air.:) I think it's because the dull days make me feel sluggish and so I go out less and it gets into a vicious circle.
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Afternoon everyone

I'm still having problems with this site and posting :(.

I had porridge with stewed apples and cinnamon again this morning, I'm certainly into that at the moment. I should really have my porridge with berries, there are still a lot in the freezer from last summer.

For lunch I've had the same as Farway, a cheese salad sandwich. I had salad bits needing using up.

Dinner will be a chicken stew. I went out to the supermarket this morning and got some fresh veg. I've got three portions in the slow cooker so that I can freeze two. I want to build up the store of HM ready meals again. The bought ones were ok, but I think it works out cheaper to have my own HM ones.
  • Had a sauna this morning - which was nice after not having had one for quite some time. Helped to warm me from inside out:D. Note to self = must do more often.

Quick lunch later of just toast with soft goats cheese and little leftover stirfry and an apple and just done my supermarket run for the week. Wanted to make sure I got on with it just-in-case (ie with all this flu going round).

Will give some thought to dinner shortly.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,116
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I had porridge with stewed apples and cinnamon again this morning, I'm certainly into that at the moment. I should really have my porridge with berries, there are still a lot in the freezer from last summer.

I have just stewed a pot of last year's scrumped apples. I added cloves as usual. Now I have seen this posting I think I will try some cinnamon stirred in

Oiled spud baking in the oven, LO beans removed from fridge, all set for dinner
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972
    Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    Thanks for the new thread.
    I had somewhat of a luxurious brunch, oatcakes and Danish toast with a jar of lumpfish caviar that didn't get eaten at Christmas, and most of a mini Camembert that was in Heron this week.
    I came across a range of Indian ready meals called "Gits" on the Spices of India website, the name amused me, so I bought one with my order. The heat is rated as 'medium', I hope their definition of 'medium' matches mine. I'm in big trouble if it doesn't, from previous experience.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback