earliest switch without exit fees

Options
mr_accountant
mr_accountant Posts: 798 Forumite
Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
edited 28 January 2020 at 4:07PM in Energy
i would like to find out when is the earliest switch without incurring exit fees.

currently with Ebico ends 10/4/20, so 49 days before is approx 22/2/20

if i switch to Avro (website states 3 weeks to switch) which would be around 18/2/20, does that mean exit charges are cancelled or can i only switch after the 20/2/20 to avoid the fees

TIA

Comments

• Benight
    Benight Posts: 418 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    i would like to find out when is the earliest switch without incurring exit fees.

currently with Ebico ends 10/4/20, so 49 days before is approx 22/2/20

if i switch to Avro (website states 3 weeks to switch) which would be around 18/2/20, does that mean exit charges are cancelled or can i only switch after the 20/2/20 to avoid the fees

TIA

Ofgem rules are that exit fees cannot be charged if the actual switch takes place within 49 days of the fixed contract end date.

But you cannot be certain when a switch will actually occur. So usually best not to switch until the window opens. :)

Also check your terms of the existimng contract carefully; some suppliers seem to be extending the exit fee free window :)
  • Streaky_Bacon
    Options
    Good advice from Benight.

Most, if not all, suppliers seem not to perform the switch until the 14 day cooling off window has ended, so it would almost certainly be OK to start 63 days before your contract ends (so approx Feb 8th).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure