Manual wash or Dishwasher? Here's a money saving tip to use less water manually.

Comments

• tim_p
    tim_p Posts: 689 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Life’s too short to faff around like that. I’ll keep on using the dishwasher thanks. Ours is 10 years old so when it eventually dies we’ll get a newer, more economical one.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,738 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 26 November 2019 at 7:53PM
    My son used to do the dishes for us. Guess what he bought me for Xmas one year, it certainly stopped him being nagged at. If I had realised how great it was to have I would have bought myself one years earlier!
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Well!

Dishwashers still are too cool to kill germs if thats your plan. Needs to be much hotter. Why do you think an occasional (even empty) 90 degree wash in the washing machine is needed?

Other than that there are only two of us, it's easier to wash by hand.

As for glasses, many dulled glasses in holiday villas with dish washers says hand cleanign is better.

Is one better or cheaper than the other? Well is all depends on the frequency of washing and the amount.

To be honest I find (for out usage) that filling and emptying a dishwasher is far more time wasting than doing it by hand (and I do leave it till the last minute often!).
  • RelievedSheff
    RelievedSheff Posts: 11,297 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    The majority of the time we wash our pots by hand. Twice a day, once in the morning after breakfast and once in the evening after dinner.

We only bought a dishwasher as when we moved house there was a space provided for one.

We use it once a week after a Sunday dinner has made a lot of pots to wash. Other then that it gets used when we have people stay over and more pots are made. We could just as easily manage without it really.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    OP, do you not work or have any type of life?

Family of 3 adults here with a slimline dishwasher which goes on every 2 or 3 days

even when there were just the two of us and didn't have space for a plumbed in dishwasher we had a counter top one which went on rvrty other day or so

As for you assertion that you can't fill a kettle before the tap runs hot, you are obviously only looking at Gas boilers, try living with oil or solid fuel and you are looking at filling a bath before the water runs hot

Washing up by hand in this house costs a fortune compared to the cost of using the dishwasher
  • GaleSF63
    GaleSF63 Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    What a kerfuffle!

I think the idea that dishwashers don't generally do a good job is a bit outdated.

My dishwasher has done a superb job for 16 years.

But like most things, some are better than others.
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 8 December 2019 at 12:10PM
    Carrot007 wrote: »
    Well!

Dishwashers still are too cool to kill germs if thats your plan. Needs to be much hotter. Why do you think an occasional (even empty) 90 degree wash in the washing machine is needed?)

I am not sure which dishwashers you have used, the temperature in our Bosch dishwasher is far hotter than any hand wash is possible it is nearly scalding, when the cycle finishes it is not possible to empty it till the items have cooled enough to touch especially metal such as cutlery and that means at least three quarters of an hour before it is cool enough and even then they are still hot.
  • easy
    easy Posts: 2,516 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 12 December 2019 at 9:30PM
    The majority of the time we wash our pots by hand. Twice a day, once in the morning after breakfast and once in the evening after dinner.

We only bought a dishwasher as when we moved house there was a space provided for one.

We use it once a week after a Sunday dinner has made a lot of pots to wash. Other then that it gets used when we have people stay over and more pots are made. We could just as easily manage without it really.

I don't understand why you would do that at all. Why not put the morning pots in the dishwasher, put the evening pots in the dishwasher, then put it on once a day?
    That is what we do, empty it and put the dishes away in the morning, as we use mugs, plates etc through the course of the day put them in the dishwasher, pans & utensils used to cook the evening meal go in, along with the crockery used, and then dishwasher on ready for tomorrow. It's generally nearly full, and there are only 2 of us.

Choosing to stand in front of the sink washing up while a dishwasher stands there unused is madness. You could be reading, walking the dog, visiting (or just chatting on the phone with) a lonely person .... doing something more rewarding/mentally stimulating than washing dishes.
    I try not to get too stressed out on the forum. I won't argue, i'll just leave a thread if you don't like what I say. :)
  • RelievedSheff
    RelievedSheff Posts: 11,297 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    The breakfast dishes usually consist of a couple of mugs, a couple of plates and a couple of knives.

Hardly taxing to wash up. I wash them while the OH is out with the dog.

The evening meal dishes vary admittedly but we still find it easier to wash them up as we use them.

We really wouldn't have bothered with a dishwasher were it not for the hole in the kitchen of the new house where one fits.

Same as we don't find a microwave a necessity. We dont have one as we never used the last one and it took up work space.
  • easy
    easy Posts: 2,516 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The breakfast dishes usually consist of a couple of mugs, a couple of plates and a couple of knives.

Hardly taxing to wash up. I wash them while the OH is out with the dog.

The evening meal dishes vary admittedly but we still find it easier to wash them up as we use them.

We really wouldn't have bothered with a dishwasher were it not for the hole in the kitchen of the new house where one fits.

Same as we don't find a microwave a necessity. We dont have one as we never used the last one and it took up work space.

Hey, it's your life ... But I'm afraid I'd be pretty sad to think that I couldn't find anything more rewarding to do than stand and wash dishes, given that there IS a dishwasher there !! But then I work full time, and mourn the fact that I don't have the time to read all the books I want, or take on interesting hobbies.
    I'm guessing you are retired .
    I try not to get too stressed out on the forum. I won't argue, i'll just leave a thread if you don't like what I say. :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback