Average Electricity Costs Poll

Comments

• BlueMoo
    BlueMoo Posts: 424 Forumite
    Yeah, interested to know what the current average would be. I currently pay 4.83p per kwh. Does this seem reasonable to others?
    M3 Dec2015 #160 Target £150,000 (BU £155000)
  • How do so many of you keep it under £30?! I have a small family (me, hubby and kid), we keep our heating off unless it's gets absolutely freezing (it's not switched on yet this year - no need) and we use the tumble dryer and stuff overnight when it's cheaper, and we still pay £35-£40 a month for our 2-bed, single-storey flat! And that's having just swapped to a cheaper tarrif :S
  • DragonQ
    DragonQ Posts: 2,193 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Magic_Man wrote: »
    Assuming that brand new condensing boiler is trouble free... ;)

We have an old, inefficient back boiler that the service check guys always try to get us to change. It may be inefficient but it's built like a tank and still going strong after 20 years :D

What's the average life expectancy for modern domestic boilers...?
    Trouble-free so far, plus I rent so it wouldn't cost me anything to fix it if it broke. Gas ended up costing £1.50pm over the summer.
    How do so many of you keep it under £30?! I have a small family (me, hubby and kid), we keep our heating off unless it's gets absolutely freezing (it's not switched on yet this year - no need) and we use the tumble dryer and stuff overnight when it's cheaper, and we still pay £35-£40 a month for our 2-bed, single-storey flat! And that's having just swapped to a cheaper tarrif :S

Mine is £25pm but that is going up to £30pm once my fix expires. I live by myself and have a lot of power-hungry AV equipment. Tumble driers use a lot of electricity so I would avoid using it unless necessary. Also, it's only cheaper overnight if you're on an Economy 7 tariff, which is usually only the case for those with electric heating (rather than gas).
  • sse have just told me they are upping my payments to ...................................are you ready for this ..................................£244.00 per month for a tiny 2 bed bungalow!!!!!!!
  • I have meters (I inherited them from a previous occupancy and have been told it will cost me 80 quid each to have them taken out). I put 25 - 30 per WEEK in the electric and now the gas is taking about 15 quid per week and that is before the rise due. 3 bed semi. I am constantly complaining to them but to no avail.
  • Nada666
    Nada666 Posts: 5,004 Forumite
    I am constantly complaining to them but to no avail.
    To whom are you complaining? Your children? Partners?
  • to SSSE, lol. I am convinced my meter is wrong, but they won't come out and check it unless I pay which I can't afford to do and they won't change it to paying by direct debit without me paying to have the meters taken out.
  • Less than £25
  • Nada666
    Nada666 Posts: 5,004 Forumite
    to SSSE, lol. I am convinced my meter is wrong, but they won't come out and check it unless I pay which I can't afford to do and they won't change it to paying by direct debit without me paying to have the meters taken out.
    If you can afford to pay £170 per month then you can afford to pay £60 to switch to a credit meter where you would only pay £140. A £30 per month saving. The payback period is less than one winter. Plus, of course, it would be spread out over the year so you won't even be paying £140.
  • AzimScot
    AzimScot Posts: 265 Forumite
    We use an average of 70 Kwh per day of gas according to my last bill. Our home is a 4 bedroom home. Is that normal? We recently had a small gas leak fixed does that figure suggest a minor or major gas leak?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure