PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

OS ways and Poor Health

Comments

• pollyanna_26
    pollyanna_26 Posts: 4,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    An addition to my post on the The pain management plan book .
    I forgot to mention there is a Relaxation CD in the back cover . there are 10 tracks . Track 2 and 3 allow you to choose a female of male voice for in a chair or on a bed exercises .
    Three other Books

50 things you can do today to manage Fibromyalgia .Wendy Green .
    Small easy read mine is 2012 edition.
    Hints and tips etc .
    Useful for Arthritic and other pain and mobility restricting conditions .

Living with Fibromyalgia Christine Craggs-Hinton .

A lot of information and self help . Mine now is the last edition 2014 .
    I first came across her books in about 2000 . Like many she had a number of different conditions . She has written a fair number of books on Arthritis ( the first I bought ) CFS , Pain and other subjects .
    Many of her books were amended and brought up to date in the last few years . I'd found them very useful but there was a point where she was setting targets too extreme for the average reader . Which left you either pushing too hard or feeling a failure for not pushing.
    The amending and revising has removed a lot of things like that .
    So I would say look at some of the new editions and see what you think . I've seen them on the shelves in wh smith and other shops so you can skim through . On the big A site you can generally browse through .
    If LL doesn't own them already there is a more holistic theme in them .

Finally Fibromyalgia and Myofascial Pain Syndrome . Dr Chris Jenner .My edition 2014.
    You don't need to have Myofascial pain although many of us do .
    It's a leading pain consultant at a LOndon Hospital and he knows his subject .
    He's written books on other conditions too .
    It's straightforward and helpful and a good guide whether new or not to pain and limitation as are the other books which are self help guides on arthritis etc .

Typos are starting . Back later off to check if the leak under the sink repair has worked .
    polly
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 30 August 2017 at 10:53PM
    Hi Polly....thanks for the book recommendations. I don't actually have any fibro books. I have got books about cholesterol, adrenal glands, and thyroid glands, diabetes etc.

When I saw the nutritionist she gave me reams of notes as well as diet advice and information about vitamins and supplements etc. So I've never bought a book.

I also found this website ......https://www.healthiculture.com which you might find helpful. I get a daily email newsletter from them with interesting articles and self help tips.

One of my symptoms is costochondritis (chest pains) caused by inflammation of the cartiledge that links the ribs to the breast bone. It is one of those chicken and egg things, which came first. Did the fibro cause costochindritis or vice versa. No one knows. I did have quite a bad car crash last year so that hasn't helped. Because both fibro and costochondrititis are made worse by or sometimes triggered by trauma it can be hard to tell. I am still struggling with the whiplash effect even though the crash was over a year ago now.

Today the pain has been severe so I have been forced to rest. Went for my massage and she concentrated on my upper back to try and loosen the muscles......she said they were like ropes of knots....:rotfl:

The pain can vary from mild to excruciating - as if you were having a heart attack. I used to find it quite scary till I got used to it but now I know it's "only stress" and I'm not having a cardiac arrest so I don't get alarmed.

Not quite heart attack level today but still terribly painful. Even breathing too deeply hurts. Lol.
  • pollyanna_26
    That's really interesting LL . Both my daughter and I have the same cartiledge inflammation . Both diagnosed with Fibro . Myself some years prior to her diagnosis . I've never been in a car crash but have suffered whiplash three times over the years . The last incident was the last time I drove . Small toddler alone running into the road from nowhere I couldn't stop in time although I was well below speed in a built up area . Only thing was to swerve left and hit a lamp post . Little boy was fine . A police officer got in the car with me after someone took me in for a hot drink . He begged me to drive forward a few yards , the car was pretty battered but I couldn't do it . Too shocked as I'd just dropped my two older children of at their grandparents and started wondering how things would have been if it had happened with them in the car .
    I used to get pain and that heart attack feeling and never figured out the cause . I know I was exhausted by the mid seventies but stuff was happening in real life and pushing me to the limits . That could have been fibro although I didn't get that diagnosis until 2000 . I think many of us will never know the true path of these things .
    Like yourself I had a long period of caring and supporting my late husband , then the toxic second husband pushed me beyond my limits . Youngest having complex needs . Who knows ?
    I think all any of us can do is try to help ourselves in ways that seem to help . Seek decent medical advise and keep on keeping on .
    I hope you will sleep well tonight . I spent too much time on my knees with my head in the sink cupboard and am like you feeling the need for rest . the massage will hopefully ease those knots .
    Bed for me
    pollyx

• Thanks for the book recommendations.xx

I felt so much better after stretching and doing exercise on Tuesday so yesterday I made the mistake of thinking I feel almost back to normal (!) so I went for a 30 minute walk in the park when it was drizzling. I started feeling achy and fluey when I got back and had such a bad night and woke up feeling like death today.:( I had to take another Lyrica tablet this morning as well as ibuprofen.

I think it is the change of weather as well as it feels like it is going to get colder. I feel a bit better now though as the meds have kicked in. I think I will go back to gentle stretching again today and avoid walking for that length of time.:o
    One of my symptoms is costochondritis (chest pains) caused by inflammation of the cartiledge that links the ribs to the breast bone. It is one of those chicken and egg things, which came first. Did the fibro cause costochindritis or vice versa. No one knows. I did have quite a bad car crash last year so that hasn't helped. Because both fibro and costochondrititis are made worse by or sometimes triggered by trauma it can be hard to tell. I am still struggling with the whiplash effect even though the crash was over a year ago now.

I have the same thing and I went to see the nurse at my doctor and she said my blood pressure was really high and I was sent for an ECG. It was fine as I think now it was just costochindritis. It sometimes feels like I'm struggling to breathe when I wake up as if my chest is being pressed inwards.

I haven't had it for a few months now, but it comes and goes.
  • I really find it amazing how similar our symptoms are on here. It's making me feel a lot better knowing that there are people who know how I feel.:A When I explain it to a GP or even to my husband it feels like they don't really know what I mean or how bad the pains are as I look perfectly normal and healthy!

Thinking back I think I've had a lot of these symptoms for years now since my teens or even as a kid. I think it might have flared up again when I had mumps in my twenties as I kept getting viral infections and vertigo after that.
  • pollyanna_26
    Hi Wednesday. I hope you feel better as the day goes on . One of the reasons I started the thread was because invisible illness was often overlooked .
    We are a mixture here I have both both visible and invisible . The psoriatic and osteo arthritis are obvious by joint damage . AOT is probably the same . In my family many can't grasp the concept of foggy thinking and utter exhaustion from the fibro I was much younger before the fibro flared and they were used to the arthritis . In a lot of ways the fibro is harder to deal with as it can just flatten at times in an instant.
    The three small books I mentioned yesterday cover a fair bit of ground .
    The 50 ways is just a quick and simple read though but covers quite a bit . Including housework , exercise , sleep . Stuff to get through the days .
    The living with Fibro has much more detail .
    Finally the one by Chris Jenner is a must . He goes thing everything medical and also Impact on attitude , relationships , the workplace etc .Stress management , Sleep management brain fog ibs , Lifestyle changes etc,etc .
    Exercise is covered , diet and many other subjects .
    Any consultant who writes a book with " finding a doctor who understands " and " communicating with your doctor " is a winner .
    It is useful as a management guide for any chronic pain and exhaustion disorder although he has written both Arthritis and Back and Neck Pain Books too
    I'm spotting typos :D Time for soup !
    I'm trying to find my arthritis gloves . Can't remember where I put them down earlier . Probably in the fridge :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    Hope everyone is ok . See you later .
    pollyx

• lessonlearned
    edited 31 August 2017 at 12:08PM
    I have to say I'm glad I found this thread. As you say a lot of people just don't "get it" including half the medical profession. We know it's not all in our heads but a lot of people seem to think we are a bunch of hypochondriacs. :rotfl:

Especially when it comes to being careful what to eat, so often I just eat whats available but realistically I am going to have to stop doing this. I am going to be more selective about eating out because it's just not worth risking a flare up.

Today my chest feels better but oh my back, arms and legs.....:rotfl: that's what is my real bugbear, how the pain is variable and how it jumps about. It's just so unpredictable. Although I do know this time my diet has been a contributory factor. And it will be a few days back on pure paleo before things calm down again.

Yes I started with stomach problems when I was just a toddler. end up with a duodenal ulcer at 17 because my parents had no patience with me, saying I was just a silly fussy eater.

Nice day here, not too hot, so going to get out in the sun.
  • lessonlearned
    OK. Here are some changes I have made to try and make life a bit easier for myself.

I have recently just given my big all singing/all dancing kenwood to my son. I have just bought myself a smaller, lighter food processor to help with veg prep. It arrived today. Thank goodness for online shopping. :D

Now that my son has moved out I found I was really struggling to keep on top of the cleaning and housework. He used to be a big help, especially with the heavy jobs. I decided to use some of the housekeeping money I am saving now that I no longer feed him (6ft 3in with hollow legs" :rotfl:) to engage a cleaner. Just 2 hours a week.

Well she came today for the second time....what can I say I should have done this years ago. She's a whizz. We changed the beds together, I really struggled with the buttons on the duvet today. :o. So I think that food processor is going to be a big help. She put up the new curtains and centre light shade for me. I tried to do the lampshade myself this morning but my stupid fingers wouldn't do as they were told. :rotfl:

I have also been steadily decluttering and getting to grips with decent storage. I have to say less clutter certainly makes life a lot easier. Still got some sorting out to do but getting there.

I need to tackle the garden next, going to make that easier to manage. I need some help with that though...a job for DS after his holiday.

Right just had some brunch, going to rest in the garden with a book. Then clean the fridge ready for food shop tomorrow. A little walk and then cook a simple dinner. Maybe tackle another cupboard later, maybe not..... it's not urgent. I can do indoor jobs like cupboards in the winter.

And to be honest I'm getting pretty tired now.
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    LameWolf wrote: »
    I'd hate to be without my bath; it's one of the things I really, really miss if we go away, as most hotels only have shower facilities. I purchased a bath-lift to get in and out with minimal assistance (can't have Mr LW doing his back in lifting me ;) ). It makes such a difference being able to soak the painful joints in warm water.

Just as an aside, does anyone else find they can't tolerate hot water any more? I used to have my bath water really hot, but these days I can't cope with anything much over tepid; and it just seems a weird development. :o

Ye gods and little fishes, YES!! I cannot cope with humans in RL, they scare me to death, so this is a really good place to be; thank you for starting the thread, Polly.

Thankfully it's a bit cooler today - I even had to put my coat on to take Cookie for her walk! :D I've been teaching her to play "Fetch" properly, and she's coming on really well. Her owners told me to feel free to continue with her training while she's on holiday with me, so I've taken them at their word. ;)
    A fetching staffy is a rare thing indeed 😀😁Bonnie fetches, but is the first one i've had that does.A lot of them fetch, but refuse to drop :rotfl:
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    candygirl wrote: »
    A fetching staffy is a rare thing indeed 😀😁Bonnie fetches, but is the first one i've had that does.A lot of them fetch, but refuse to drop :rotfl:
    She's doing surprisingly well; I even managed to get her to sit while I threw her toy for her today! :T

She did so well on her walk today, too - we were trundling along, and suddenly we were accosted by a young Newfoundland - no sign of an owner at that point. I was concerned that it had got out from somewhere (I don't usually call a dog "it" but I literally couldn't tell if it was male or female under all that fur).

Anyways, it was wearing a harness, so I concluded there must be an owner somewhere; so I just got Mr LW to hold onto Cookie's harness (didn't want the lead tangled up and me hauled off the mobility buggy) and finally the owner came haring round the bend in the path, as fast as her fairly portly frame could move. :D She was most apologetic; still, no harm was done, and I think Cookie would have liked to have played with the Newfie! :D

Cookie was a bit nonplussed about having her bottom sniffed, but she didn't snap or growl or anything; she really is the sweetest natured dog you could wish for. :o
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure