Everyone got a payrise except me

DandelionBlue
DandelionBlue Posts: 10 Forumite
edited 13 July 2018 at 10:25PM in Employment, jobseeking & training
I'm feeling really upset right and was hoping for other people's opinion on this.

In my field of work you study five years and then get a job as an assistant. You then study part time while you work. Once you graduate you are promoted by default and get a pay-rise.

I qualified in November and my office dragged it's feet on the promotion. They finally did so a month ago and put me on the same wage my colleagues got when they graduated two years ago

Well today the office handed out letters given everyone a payrise of 3% except me. I feel really upset about this. Since technically if you consider inflation I am now getting less then people got when they graduated two years ago.

Unfortunately I am tied in for another year before I can leave. Otherwise I need to pay back 3000£ training fee.

They also delayed my training by not putting me on the type of project I needed for my case study. Yet the men who came in as assistants at the same time as me had no such issues. I've been asking for a project for 6 years!

And I found out three years ago they were paying me less than everyone else in the same position as me. A female college who was higher ranking than me, thought my corner.

My annual reviews have nothing but praise for me.

Also I work as a blogger and social media influencer on weekends. My work recently started on Instagram and found out I have a lot of followers. They now want my help to build up the office account. This is not part of my role. I already get paid less than others on the same level as me. And I invested my own time and money in courses to learn social media. I think this is really cheeky of them.

Am I right to feel upset about this?

Comments

• marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Firstly this isn!!!8217;t a wedding forum so you!!!8217;re on the right place (unless you posted elsewhere initially and it!!!8217;s been moved)

Secondly, it sounds like your colleagues have been qualified longer so are more experienced?
  • Yes. I posted this elsewhere before. And did a silly copy and paste.

And no. People that are less qualified than me also got a pay-rise.
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,609 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker

It's not a question of right or wrong; it's how you deal with it. Instead of moaning on a public forum (what could anyone say that would make you feel better? Nothing), talk to your employer.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • marliepanda
    Is there anyone who qualified to your level in November getting a pay rise.

I!!!8217;m assuming those less qualified than you get less money than you.
  • As the older people were hugging and kissing me goodbye, I realised and was mindful of a whole department who didn't want to lose their jobs were also going today. They were allowed to leave earlier then me as not their choice to go.

Get up quick by all means but pick battles wisely.
  • Marcon wrote: »
    It's not a question of right or wrong; it's how you deal with it. Instead of moaning on a public forum (what could anyone say that would make you feel better? Nothing), talk to your employer.

Any suggestions on how to approach this with my employer. Should I simply ask them why they left me out of the general payrise to match inflation
  • Is there anyone who qualified to your level in November getting a pay rise.

I!!!8217;m assuming those less qualified than you get less money than you.

Yes they get paid less. But everyone got a payrise to match inflation. I didn't. So technical that's a pay-cut
  • As the older people were hugging and kissing me goodbye, I realised and was mindful of a whole department who didn't want to lose their jobs were also going today. They were allowed to leave earlier then me as not their choice to go.

Get up quick by all means but pick battles wisely.

Are you suggesting the best I can do is leave in a year. And that I should not raise this with my employers
  • Timpu
    Timpu Posts: 310 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I'm feeling really upset right and was hoping for other people's opinion on this.

I am an architect. The way it works in our field is that you study five years and then get a job as an architectural assistant. You then study part time while you work and graduate as an Architect. At which point you are promoted by default and get a payrise.

I qualified in November and my office dragged it's feet on the promotion. They finally did so a month ago and put me on the same wage my colleagues got when they graduated two years ago

Well today the office handed out letters given everyone a payrise of 3% except me. I feel really upset about this. Since technically if you consider inflation I am now getting less then people got two years ago.

unfortunately I am tied in for another year before I can leave. Otherwise I need to pay back 3000£ training fee.

But I am out of there as soon as I hit that deadline. If I hadn't already made that decision, I certainly would have today.

They also delayed my training as a full architect by not putting me on the type of project I needed for my case study. Yet the men who came in as architectural assistants at the same as me had no such issues. I've been asking for 6 years!

And I found out three years ago they were paying me less than everyone else in the same position as me. A female collegeue who was higher ranking than me, thought my corner. And when I got a PAY Rise back then they public stated they had put everyone in the same level.
    Yet my annual reviews have nothing but praise for me.

Also I work as a blogger and social media influencer on weekends. My work recently started on Instagram and found out I have a lot of followers. They now want my help to build up the office account. This is not part of my role. I already get paid less than others on the same level as me. And I invested my own time and money in courses to learn social media. I think this is really cheeky of them.

You have a few options:
    a) Do nothing
    b) Raise with your line manager
    c) Leave the firm

a) I assume you are not interested in, given how upset you are

b) Can you go to your line manager to argue your case? I don't mean demand but ask the difficult, direct questions. Ask why you're not receiving a pay rise given your appraisals have been positive? Why are you not getting a 3% pay rise? Why are you being treated differently to others qualified to the same level? Thinking about it, has there been an oversight? Seems odd they've handed out letters in front of everyone and excluded you.

c) What salary are you likely to get elsewhere? Would there be an increase to what you get now and would it likely be more than £3k? If more, then get that CV out there so you have more options.

With the blogging and social media request, I would see this as an opportunity. It'll look fab on your CV. They have asked you for a reason, presumably as you have skills that others don't (well, in house anyway)? It's a skill they value so use it to negotiate a pay rise to the same level as your colleagues.

I'd be interested to know how this goes OP, please do update us in time.
  • marliepanda
    Yes they get paid less. But everyone got a payrise to match inflation. I didn't. So technical that's a pay-cut

You can try speaking to them. It may be a simple oversight as you had a recent ruse. Simply ask why you didn’t get one and if they mention your recent one say that one actually was one due 8 months ago.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure