Any way I can force TomTom to update my address?

Mishomeister
Mishomeister Posts: 1,051 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
edited 13 July 2018 at 12:09PM in Consumer rights
Council has renamed out property address in October 2016.

Although with some companies taking more than the others to get our address updated on their systems all the companies got thee within a maximum of a year or so.

All but not the laughing stock called TomTom.

Me and my wife are really fed up having to come out on the main road to help all the delivery drivers from Amazon ETC using TomTom and being unable to find us.

My wife has almost missed on a life supporting medicine delivery as she was unable to come out to the main road as she was unwell and with two kids.

I have already complained to TomTom about half a year ago or so and provided them with the correct address details, but it seams they just don't give a ...

Is there a way for me to force them to update their maps to reflect our new address change?

A possible threat by court action?

Comments

• bigisi
    bigisi Posts: 925 Forumite
    A possible threat by court action?

Under what law?
  • TonyMMM
    TonyMMM Posts: 3,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 13 July 2018 at 12:04PM
    It may have been updated onto their current maps, but it is a slow process (my son's new build house that he moved into 2 years ago still isn't recognised on most sat-navs or google maps) but it doesn't matter anyway if if the drivers haven't updated their own systems, which many never do.

I have an old TomTom that I occasionally use which hasn't had a map update in about 7 years (and can't because the current maps are not compatible with it). Still works fine for 99% of addresses though.

My other car has a built in system, and that hasn't been updated in 3 years, and probably won't be before I trade it in.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,965 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Whilst it's frustrating, I can't see how TomTom have any obligation to update their systems to reflect a change to the wording of your address. Even when they do update their systems, how do you ensure that every satnav owner installs the software update that will follow? I have a TomTom satnav that I occasionally update (maybe once a year?) and a built-in Toyota one that I've never updated and never will, so any changes to either of those databases would pass me by.

As for court action, on what basis?

For deliveries of things you've ordered, can't you continue to use the old address for the delivery of those transactions?
  • Mishomeister
    Whilst it's frustrating, I can't see how TomTom have any obligation to update their systems to reflect a change to the wording of your address. Even when they do update their systems, how do you ensure that every satnav owner installs the software update that will follow? I have a TomTom satnav that I occasionally update (maybe once a year?) and a built-in Toyota one that I've never updated and never will, so any changes to either of those databases would pass me by.

As for court action, on what basis?

For deliveries of things you've ordered, can't you continue to use the old address for the delivery of those transactions?

I update my own TomTom whenever every update comes out, around every 3 months and there is still no address on it.

Google maps have updated it almost immediately.
  • Mishomeister
    edited 13 July 2018 at 12:32PM

There isn't the old address anywhere left. All the road signings have changed to new a long time ago.
    All the retailers websites only can find our new, current address.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    I update my own TomTom whenever every update comes out, around every 3 months and there is still no address on it.
    Yes, but you can't compel everyone else to do the same so even if TomTom update their database, it's of no use to you if, say, half of all TomTom owners don't install updates.
  • I doubt that my sat nav, now retired over three years will have you house on it, but the replacement that was updated last week will?

I don't think TomTom are to blame.

As for my life dependent heart pills, I collect from my local pharmacy and continue to do so. This way, when I have the flu I can get the prescription pretty quick, rather than being at deaths door and waiting for some delivery!

Tell me when your court action starts, so I can book time off to be in the public gallery!
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    There isn't the old address anywhere left. All the road signings have changed to new a long time ago.
    All the retailers websites only can find our new, current address.
    Don't most websites allow you to manually enter an address? Amazon does for a start. There is a gap in house numbers in my street and if I select my postcode, I can still enter the number of a house that doesn't exist on the list. I can also enter whatever the road name is, too.

If I were you, I would enter something like "123 Smith Street, formerly 123 Jones Street" in the first line of the address field. Any satnav users not seeing the new address would perhaps try entering the old one and get to you.

To answer your original question: No, there's nothing you can do to force TomTom to recognise your changed address. They are a private company, not the state's address database.
  • Mishomeister
    Why would I deliberately input the wrong delivery address just under the assumption the delivery driver will be using a TomTom.

Even if I did so the driver would still struggle to find us as the signs show a different street name and our house number is different.

The issue is not the drivers no updating the maps frequently enough it's TomTom who do no update their databases for year however pretend they release new maps every 3 months
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    TomTom do not make their own maps, they are provided by TeleAtlas, a sister company. Have you tried reporting it to them?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport