PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Issue with antisocial behaviour - people weeing in our bushes

Just moved into a new house (renting) and have discovered that there's an issue with people choosing the bush surrounding our garden to relieve themselves.
It's a quiet side street off a busy main road with many pubs and bars further up, and they seem to pick our house as there is a recess where our front door and gate is that is 'private'.

Chased off a few but it leaves the area stinking of !!!!, which is not what you want of a back garden, particularly with the lack of rain recently!

Does anyone have any ideas to discourage this? When we are in and catch them we plan to chuck water over the gate but also want to discourage when we're not in.

We have thought of putting a plant pot in the way of the stop outside our gate, though they might then !!!! in it instead.
Perhaps a fake cctv camera, or even a real one?

Comments

• ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    If you throw water on various people who are drunk, what do you think they are going to do? My money is on they are either going to kick off there and then or come back a few days later with a brick aimed at your window.

No idea what the answer is, maybe a security light?
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    1886 Posts: 499 Forumite
    Is it possible to have a latch or bolt really low down on your side of the gate with a padlock on?
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,592 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Bright lights on movement sensors.

Give notice, move elsewhere.. You could, if this presumably has happened for years, have a case against landlord not informing you of this...

Unless you are simply going through the motions, flushed with success.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    Nettles, or hollies.
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    ACG wrote: »
    If you throw water on various people who are drunk, what do you think they are going to do? My money is on they are either going to kick off there and then or come back a few days later with a brick aimed at your window.

That’s what I was thinking. Really daft idea. As if people are going to think “oh well, serves me right, I’ll be on my way in a quiet and orderly fashion”.
  • HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,476 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Put a sensor there & rig up a sprinkler/hose to the sensor. They start they get wet. Need only be temporary until they get the message

Obviously you need to remember to switch this off at other times of the day.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    PIR floodlight, directed down of course. Lets face it, you don't want them peeing on their shoes.
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,316 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Nettles, or hollies.

Or low voltage electric fence? :D
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    If it's night-time and they're drunk, you could try spraying some Liquid !!! in the area before you go to bed at night... hoping the smell will persuade them to move along a bit and make it somebody else's problem.

Aside from that - a PIR spotlight when anybody passes might persuade them to move on ... although it might give them the light they need to see what they're doing.

If it's pubs, it won't be the same person twice... each time it'll be a different person ... so you can't "teach them by example" as such ... you have that one shot.
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,669 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ^ Liquid what, PN?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business