Planning for retirement

concernedpharmacist
concernedpharmacist Posts: 37 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
Hi,
I just wanted advice on whether my plan to reduce tax burden around retirement is robust.

I am currently 58 years old, planning to retire at about 61 or 62 years old. My mortgage has already been paid off.

I currently earn £50,000. I now have a defined contribution pension, In 2 years time (at age 60) my NHS defined benefit pension will kick in adding £20,000 p.a with a lump sum of £60,000. I want maximise my benefits over the next 4 years.

If I do nothing this would take me into the 40% tax bracket - therefore the extra £20K p.a. would only be worth £12K after tax.

My plan is to increase my DC pension contributions by £20k p.a. reducing nett pay to £30k. Drawing down my DC pension only after I retire.
Thus at 61-62y after retirement each extra £20k in the DC pension could be drawn down as £5k tax free with just 20% tax on the remaining £15k - overall worth of £17k after tax.

Once I reach 60 my income will revert to about £50k as the sum of my pay and nhs pension.

Of course, if I increase my pension now, I will need to survive over the next two years with less income. I could perhaps manage this through heavy use of a 24m+ 0% credit card (credit limit £10k) plus perhaps a loan of £25k at 2.75%. I would be able to pay these off at age 60 with my nhs pension lump sum.
The cost of this ( under £1k interest on loan) would be likely to be far less that saved by avoiding tax.

Have I missed anything here? Is my plan robust?

Any advice welcomed.

thanks

Simon

Comments

• Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 21,993 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    In general looks like a good plan but a couple of points not mentioned in respect of the DC plan.
    How large is it now ? If it is already quite large ( hundreds of thousands ) then you have to be careful not run into lifetime allowance problem.
    On the other hand if it is currently quite small , then your additional contributions will be subject to short term investment risk ( depending on how they are invested )
  • GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Why not just leave things as they are now, until you hit 60 and NHS pension, then for 2 yrs put £40k gross into your DC scheme? leaves you with more than £30k a year for 2 yrs after tax relief..even in your example £20k into your DC won't cost you £20k...
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • Thanks

My DC pot is small at present less than £100k. Even valuing my DB pot at £400K (20 x 20K) and another DB pension (not mentioned above) of £8kp.a. at age 65 (valued at £160K), I don't think lifetime allowance is an issue.

I guess it is best to choose lower risk investments given the short term
  • thanks GunJack, that was one of my options. One small issue I have is that I am only allowed to change my pension contributions in October. So I might have to manage for at least a few months between increasing to 40K pension contribution and collecting the NHS pension. Again thinking of bridging with a zero interest credit card.
  • Albermarle
    One small issue I have is that I am only allowed to change my pension contributions in October.
    You could open a separate DC pension yourself and contribute to that when you want .
    It depends on how your current contributions are made. If it is by salary sacrifice then it probably would be best to stick with the employer pension.
  • GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    One thing...don't forget that the DB(s) have lump sums, so you're already up to £560k+£60k NHS LS(+ other DB lump sum), so £650k-iish PLUS your DC+growth+future contributions, so still worth keeping an eye on..
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • no lump sum with other DB, and not too many years left to invest in DC but thanks I will keep an eye on regardless.
  • my current pension is salary sacrifice. thanks
  • It seems odd contemplating taking a loan in order to maximise contributions to my pension scheme (and thereby reduce tax), but if I have done the maths right there are considerable savings to be made by doing this.

The reason I can contemplate this is because I will be able to pay off any short-term borrowing with part of my lump sum from the DB pension in 2 years time.

Of course even more saving with 0% credit card use (is this considered to be a form of "stoozing"?
  • Albermarle
    It seems odd contemplating taking a loan in order to maximise contributions to my pension scheme (and thereby reduce tax),
    I know what you mean , I guess ( like me ) you are not the type to normally be leveraging investments.
    However the tax advantage for a 40% tax payer in employment and 20% in retirement is very generous, and so tends to skew ones normal thinking.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure