Weight loss/healthy eating help

Comments

• UKTigerlily
    UKTigerlily Posts: 4,702 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 28 August 2018 at 4:23AM
    I used to do Slimming World, in fact i've done it four times! It isn't healthy, sadly. When I did it, I 100% believed it to be a really healthy way to eat. Now, bear with me. This isn't for everyone, and you need to be open minded, but there is something we all should know about food, and everyone is free to do their own research into this (I used to think this was extreme/crazy, but please at least read and look into it)

This will be long, sorry, but it's important

Three months ago, I went *Vegan*! Until then, I am ashamed to admit I was someone who said things like Vegans are extreme, and rabbit food is for rabbits.

There're three reasons people go Vegan: 1) Ethics/the animals 2) Our health & 3) The planet/environment (or a mix of those)

Many are Vegetarian as they are against cruelty, so let's look at milk. (No judgement, as I was eating animal products my entire life until 3 months ago as we aren't ever told this)

To produce milk, just like us a cow must be pregnant. Farmers don't have time to wait around for this to happen naturally (time is money), so cows are artifically inseminated, which takes around 15 minutes & means they are restrained in a rack.

Once their baby is born, it is removed at or just after birth (as that milk is for us, not the calf . . yet we are designed to drink our Mother's milk, until weaning, so why are we breastfeeding from another species as adults?)

If a boy, the calf is killed as he's useless, unless he becomes veal. If a girl, she has the same fate as her Mother. Cows cry out for days, sometimes weeks for their calves as like us they are very maternal. In fact, in subsequent pregnancies they hide/stand over their calves. They are then milked 2-3x a day as they are manipulated to produce more milk, way more milk, than they would naturally, and they develop mastitis.

Once they are 5/6yrs old & a 'downer' (useless), bearing in mind they'd naturally be 25ish, they are sent to slaughter.

Cow's milk is designed to grow a baby calf into a huge 700Ib+ cow very quickly, it contains 35 hormones, including oestrogen & IGF 1, a cancer growth hormone. People are told they need dairy for calcium, so they have strong bones & don't get Osteoporosis . . . why then is it the countries with the highest rates of Osteoporosis consume the most dairy, and the blue zones/countries with the lowest rates have the lowest dairy consumption?

It is because cow's milk is too acidic, so we release phosphous to neutralise this, which binds to calcium and leaches it from the bones. As for IFG 1? Our bodies produce this when we need to grow, as a baby and during puberty, then switch it off as an adult, only we consume it, which leads to cells constantly growing.

Cow's milk contains pus (there is a legal limit as to how much), faeces (their udders are covered in it) & blood. We don't need it, or meat or eggs.

Since going Vegan I have eaten anything I like, with no counting/pointing, junk food etc all but one week, and haven't gained even a pound, for the past 20yrs i'd've gained at least 1.5st.

We have starving babies in Africa, yet right now we have food for 10 billion people, yet a population of 7 billion, why? We have 60 billion livestock to fatten up for slaughter. Parts of the world have no clean water., yet a cow drinks 50 gallons a day, let alone the methane gases it gives off.

Animal agriculture is causing so many issues: rainforest/habitat deforestation (a football sized pitch every mninute or two), ocean deadzones (fishless oceans by 2048), greenhouse gases, so many things.

Animal products contain cholesterol, yet our bodies make all they need, we don't need any more . . hospitals are full of people with cancer, heart disease & diabetes and they aren't Vegans. A Vegans blood is 8x more protective against cancer, and plantbased foods have zero cholesterol. Meat, including chicken, is a class 1 carcinogen like asbestos & smoking.

Yes, bacon & chicken taste amazing, but is 5 minutes of taste worth their entire lives? Why do we say cats & dogs are friends, and love them, yet pigs, cows & chickens are food? We are inherantly animal lovers, yet so disconnected from what we eat.

If you were eating a wholefoods, plantbased diet . . you could eat as much as you liked and would drop weight easily. Salad/fruit/vegetables/seeds/nuts/potatoes & sweet potatoes/rice/pasta if no egg in it, quinoa/lentils/beans & chickpeas. It's the healthiest diet on the planet, can reverse heart disease and is the cheapest too

If a junk food Vegan like me, while not healthy it is still better/healthier than the animal based equivalent, and contains zero cholesterol. I have everything, pizza/burgers/chips/crisps/ Ben & Jerry's etc & lose easily

Also, eggs, no! Please please think about if you'd consider trying scrambled tofu or an egg replacer? Eggs are a chickens period, pretty much. If you eat eggs (almost all saturated fat & cholesterol and no fibre), male chicks will be thrown live and fully conscious into a grinder at a day old as they never lay eggs. Meat chickens are killed at 6 weeks old, when they are fattened up to the size of a 25st 2yr old child and have broken legs as they can't take the weight.

Some say we need meat to survive, we don't. We USED to, but not now, not when we have alternatives in Tesco etc. We don't need it for protein, only plants can turn nitrogen into amino acids and all protein comes from plants, if you eat meat you recycle it thru an animal rather than go direct to the source.

David Haye is Vegan, as is Germany's strongest man and the williams sisters. If you worry plants feel pain, they don't. They have no central nervous systems or brains, and none of us are upset at a carrot being cut (& to eat meat uses more plants than to eat plants only anyway).

EVERY Vegan once said they could never be a Vegan, and we all now wish we'd done it sooner. I have an illness that has caused immense pain for 20yrs, in just 3 months without dairy/meat (another thing Dr's don't tell you), it's clearing up and I won't need surgery.

You have nothing to lose, and everything to gain. PLS try, please. Have a look at What the Health (Netflix), Forks over Knives (Netflix) both are health related, Cowspiracy (Environment) none are gory.

Check out Earthlings (brutal but the truth) or Land of Hope & Glory (UK standard practice including 'free range/rspca approved etc) . . hard going but if we can't see it, why do we pay for it when we don't need to?

Try www.steven22.com for a free 22 day challenge to try it out, mentors and dieticians available, fun way to see what it's about with zero pressure. Oh, and Oatly Barista milk is meant to be ace in hot drinks?

Thanks if anyone read it and sorry to disrupt, but it's all that has worked for me and is so so important

One last thing, try This is your wake up call by James Aspey on You Tube, no gore, just a dude talkingabout how he was a Personal Trainer who ate meat 3x a day and thought it it didn't contain meat it wasn't a meal, and didn't even really like dogs, and now is the bigerst Aussie activist, or one of the two biggest. Funny guy and really interesting watch even if people decide it isnt for them x
  • clairec79
    clairec79 Posts: 2,512 Forumite
    I found that using the myfitnesspal app helped - by recording what I was eating it did make me think more about what I was eating
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,664 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    If everyone went vegan then in order to produce enough food there would still be the issues around intensive farming and degradation of the environment, just in a different way. Mass produced soy crops are not environmentally friendly. But that's a debate for discussion time and not her.

Anyone doing a big change in their diet needs to understand the changes and be fully on board or they will fail. Smaller sustainable changes are going to keep the weight off in the long run.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • NineDeuce
    NineDeuce Posts: 997 Forumite
    maman wrote: »
    I don't know if you've ever tried it but Slimming World is the only 'diet' I've ever tried and it's certainly worked for me.

My weight gradually crept up over about 10 years due to a variety of changes like a more sedentary job, grabbing unhealthy food on the run and general change in lifestyle.

Almost exactly 8 years ago I joined Slimming World at just light of the same weight as madlyn. Within a year I'd lost just over 3.5 stone and I've kept it off ever since.

Slimming World isn't really a diet at all. It's a healthy way of eating. Nothing is banned. The plan gives a structure so that it's easy to work out how much of each food group and how many 'treats' will maintain a healthy weight.

IMO the best way to do SW is to cook from scratch but they have recently brought out some ready meals as they recognise that some people are in a hurry.

It's not a scam or even rocket science. I think we all know that we should be having more fruit, veg and lean protein than carbs and fats. Also we know that things like sweets and crisps and cakes and pastry and booze should be kept as a treat rather than everyday food. It really is that simple.

gettingtheresometime is right that groups do go out of their way to be friendly but once you have a set of books and a basic explanation of how it works it's not difficult to go it alone, especially if you join an online group. The first session including the books costs just under £10. Often (such as the beginning of term) there are vouchers in magazines that save £5.

I've got no vested interest in SW. I just know it's worked for me and others. Those that 'keep going back' know it works but like any healthy option whether it's food or booze or exercise it's easier to give up. Sadly, SW don't sell willpower.:(

So you are an exception to the rule, but statistics prove that the majority of people who go on diets or to such plans put the weight back on within 3 years.

Plus, everything that you have said above, e.g.....

" we should be having more fruit, veg and lean protein than carbs and fats. Also we know that things like sweets and crisps and cakes and pastry and booze should be kept as a treat rather than everyday food. It really is that simple"

Why do you need to pay SW to tell you that?
  • Always keep some raw carrot sticks, dried fruits, fresh fruit and wholemeal crackers with you. You can eat plenty of that stuff. Sing up to a fun sport activity such as dancing as I found it more engaging and effective than the gym. Allow yourself to eat what you crave for once a week!
  • Can I just ask, why do fear being hungry?

I think getting to the root of that would help your relationship with food, which in turn would help you to lose weight.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • madlyn
    madlyn Posts: 1,023 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    I didn't say I fear feeling hungry, I said I cant bare feeling hungry. And when I do feel hungry I reach for the wrong king of food/snack.
    So I either need to eat more food that fills me up at breakfast and other meal times or reach for the healthy king of snack.
    SPC 037
  • I went down from 13.5 stone to about 11.5 stone over a few years, after I realised that I was getting podgy. I'm afraid you will have to get used to the feeling of being hungry if you want to lose weight. It helps to constantly have in mind the end goal, so when you are tempted think about what that extra food will do to you. It also helped me to imagine eating the food, and realising that it would only provide a temporary fix. It's rather like a drug, albeit a necessary one in moderation.

My approach is to eat plenty of filling food. Porridge for breakfast is good because it leaves you full. I make it with unsweetened soya milk which is good and healthy. Honey nut cornflakes are not so good, lots of sugar. Potatoes are fine as long as they are not cooked in fat i.e. boiled or baked. They are low fat and filling. Veggies are excellent. I don't eat meat but I eat fish, which helps as fish is high in healthy fats and low in calories. So a veggie risotto would be a typical meal, with lots of carrot, onion, beetroot, french beans etc. Stir fries are another good one, only a small amount of fat is needed. And boiled rice is good. Pasta is good too. I eat 80 g of dried rice/pasta per meal. The only puddings I eat are porridge and a not too unhealthy lowish sugar cereal with soya milk. I do eat some homemade medlar or blackcurrant jam from time to time.

Snacking on fruit and nuts in the day might not be a good idea, fruit is high in sugar, and nuts are high in fat. It might be that you are bored, a problem many of us have at work!!!!
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,566 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    NineDeuce wrote: »
    So you are an exception to the rule, but statistics prove that the majority of people who go on diets or to such plans put the weight back on within 3 years.

Those that 'keep going back' know it works but like any healthy option whether it's food or booze or exercise it's easier to give up. Sadly, SW don't sell willpower.:(

I may be an exception but I don't think it's anything to do with Slimming World why people lapse from the healthy 'diet' and put the weight back on. I don't know why I'd never thought of it before but when I joined SW I started to meet people who had a very poor relationship with food. It's not just the obvious reasons like being lazy/lacking willpower and grabbing fast food, ready meals and take aways. There are people who are stressed by life for various reasons and eat to reward themselves/cheer themselves up after getting through a day. There are lonely people who get bored and cheer themselves up with chocolate. It's quite complex. In many respects it can mirror the reasons people have too much alcohol.
    NineDeuce wrote: »
    Plus, everything that you have said above, e.g.....

" we should be having more fruit, veg and lean protein than carbs and fats. Also we know that things like sweets and crisps and cakes and pastry and booze should be kept as a treat rather than everyday food. It really is that simple"

Why do you need to pay SW to tell you that?

You don't, but why does anyone join a club to go running or a gym for exercise? It helps to have a structure and the commitment and accountability and plenty of advice.

Eating healthily takes commitment and some people welcome some help.
  • Anoneemoose
    Anoneemoose Posts: 2,258 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 30 August 2018 at 5:02PM
    I may be an exception but I don't think it's anything to do with Slimming World why people lapse from the healthy 'diet' and put the weight back on. I don't know why I'd never thought of it before but when I joined SW I started to meet people who had a very poor relationship with food. It's not just the obvious reasons like being lazy/lacking willpower and grabbing fast food, ready meals and take aways. There are people who are stressed by life for various reasons and eat to reward themselves/cheer themselves up after getting through a day. There are lonely people who get bored and cheer themselves up with chocolate. It's quite complex. In many respects it can mirror the reasons people have too much alcohol.

You don't, but why does anyone join a club to go running or a gym for exercise? It helps to have a structure and the commitment and accountability and plenty of advice.

Eating healthily takes commitment and some people welcome some help.

Not JUST SW but ANY and ALL diets that have weight loss as their goal.

As I posted earlier in the thread, this video shows why our bodies and brains are hardwired to protect us from dieting (or starvation).

https://youtu.be/jn0Ygp7pMbA
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport