PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What are you making for dinner?

Comments

• Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,501 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 28 October 2018 at 11:21AM
    KERRI - in winter to buy, slice and freeze celery for stock, you can often find it reduced

Today's offering will be Toad in the Hole, fat butchers sausages wrapped in bacon with sliced red onion, light fluffy batter and onion gravy, mashed swede and peas to accompany it - LO cheesecake for pud

Also making seeded Swedish crackers, squash and ginger soup and smoked mackerel pate with lots of horseradish - yum ;)
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • We're out for a Sunday lunch in a local tea room today and supper this evening will be Aloo Tikki from a charity shop Indian Recipe Book and it's potato and bread cakes fried crisp and golden with a red kidney bean curry topping, sounds and looks delicious.
  • C_J
    C_J Posts: 3,034 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Roast chicken dinner for us tonight, but a busy day of cooking as I will also be making a sweet-potato-topped shepherdess pie and a saag paneer for later in the week, a tray of oat, fruit and protein breakfast bars, a pan of leek and potato soup for my work lunches, and a vanilla sponge traybake topped with stewed apples for puddings this week. I am just in the mood for a nice cooking day, I really enjoy it if I have the time.
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Islandmaid wrote: »
    KERRI - in winter to buy, slice and freeze celery for stock, you can often find it reduced

Today's offering will be Toad in the Hole, fat butchers sausages wrapped in bacon with sliced red onion, light fluffy batter and onion gravy, mashed swede and peas to accompany it - LO cheesecake for pud

Also making seeded Swedish crackers, squash and ginger soup and smoked mackerel pate with lots of horseradish - yum ;)

Good idea, I will keep an eye out. Was also thinking about substituting for celeriac, which oddly I quite like mashed....so could keep a bit back for the stock pot.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,501 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 28 October 2018 at 3:52PM
    KERRI- I would say yes, I love Celariac too, that and cauliflower are pretty much kitchen staples here as I try and low carb where possible, no that you'd know it with today's menu LOL fennel is another possible replacement.
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • Another celeriac fan here! Kerry, I love it mashed too.

Dinner tonight is roast pork, apple sauce, roast potatoes and lovely fresh veggies, only me and OH here today, so there will be plenty left for my lunch at work tomorrow and I will dice the remaining pork and use in a biryani , that's Monday's dinner sorted too.
    Well Behaved women seldom make history

Early retirement goal... 2026

Reduce, reuse, recycle .
  • kerri_gt wrote: »
    ...............I need some help from you lovely lot. Twice I've made HM chicken stock from carcasses. I used two as that's the most I can fit in my pan, with 2ltr of water as the recipe states, along with other usual veg etc. Bring to the boil and simmer for 3hrs. Apparelnty it should make 1ltr of stock but I've taken mine off the stove after 2-2 1/2 hrs, and ended up with less than half what it says I should which happened before................

I like to use either the Pressure Cooker or the Slow Cooker for making chicken stock - depending on how speedy it needs to be ;).
  • After a little 'whoopsie hunt' in Mr T's this afternoon, we've now sat down to Stir-Fry for tonight's meal. OH has got a huge Bassa Fillet sitting on top of his - I've got Finest Jumbo Prawns. A mixture of Sweet Chilli Sauce and GF Soy Sauce drizzled into the SF :drool:.
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    I like to use either the Pressure Cooker or the Slow Cooker for making chicken stock - depending on how speedy it needs to be ;).

Unfortunately I possess neither, I do mull over the idea of a slow cooker but also think it will end up being something else to keep the ice cream maker company in the cupboard.

Tonight's gastro cookathon has been pate on toast. I would blame on being out of sorts with this cold and the clocks changing but actually it's just what I fancied and I cba cooking.
    Will prep some carrots and swede for mash tomorrow though this evening so it only be needs cooking.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• kerri gt - I L:heart2:VE pate on toast - especially when it's the 'chunky/coarse' type :drool:!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback