Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Flybe ONLY

Options

Comments

• johnoflynn
    johnoflynn Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    "As a result Flybe would be pleased to offer you a voucher to the value of £300.00 / 350.00Euros (per person) for redemption against a future Flybe flight", so its quite a good offer if you want to travel with them again
  • 111KAB
    111KAB Posts: 3,645 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
  • NoviceAngel
    NoviceAngel Posts: 2,271 Forumite
    Options
    Edit :- 111KAB is turbo charged this evening !!

Please be aware that Flybe will process this cash refund in Euros and you may therefore incur handling charges via your bank for the transaction.

You DO NOT have to accept payment in Euros again this was dealt with by DJ Jenkinson in Liverpool.

Cheers,

NoviceAngel
    After reading PtL Vaubans Guide , please don't desert us, hang around and help others!

Hi, we’ve had to remove part of your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • johnoflynn
    johnoflynn Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think its only fair to ask for cash in GBP at a FX rate at the time of the incident. If they hadnt delayed and delayed Id have got almost £200 back in July and now only £183. Rates are available on line by searching historical exchange rate (I'm not allowed to post link as a new user)
    However if the vouchers are transferrable someone might pay £225 or £250 for a £300 voucher :-)
  • NoviceAngel
    NoviceAngel Posts: 2,271 Forumite
    Options
    johnoflynn wrote: »
    I think its only fair to ask for cash in GBP at a FX rate at the time of the incident. If they hadnt delayed and delayed Id have got almost £200 back in July and now only £183. Rates are available on line by searching historical exchange rate (I'm not allowed to post link as a new user)
    However if the vouchers are transferrable someone might pay £225 or £250 for a £300 voucher :-)

The consensus of opinion was always that the Euro amount should be converted to GBP on the date of the delay.

There was no legal case that we knew of that stated how and when the conversion process to GBP should take place.

As 111KAB has pointed out there has now been a Court ruling although not binding it is persuasive.

Good luck if your going for a more advantageous conversation rate.

Cheers,

NoviceAngel
    After reading PtL Vaubans Guide , please don't desert us, hang around and help others!

Hi, we’ve had to remove part of your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • EdCar25
    EdCar25 Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    Just got offered €350/£300 in vouchers per passenger for a 5h delay due to "technical difficulties" with flight BE241 on Friday 4th July 2014. Am replying to reject this and ask for cash (Sterling) using the following wording:

"I note your acceptance below of my entitlement to compensation under my claim, Incident: xxxxxx-xxxxxx

I reject your offer of vouchers in lieu of the prescribed rate of monetary compensation due under EU 261/2004.

Please respond as soon as possible with your proposal for settlement of my claim by way of payment at the defined rate of €250 per passenger, payable in Pounds Sterling at the currency conversion rate applicable at the date of the flight (04-Jul-2014). I note that similar such claims at that time, as reported in public forums, have been offered a rate of £200 per passenger."

To be fair to Flybe, notwithstanding their dogged reluctance to pay, they did email at each stage to assure that the claim was still being processed whilst court proceedings were ongoing.

With thanks to all that have posted on the subject - it made things a lot easier.
  • Fifefamily
    Fifefamily Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    If you do not wish to accept the vouchers give the Flybe Customer Service line a phone on 03717005000. they will happily take bank card details to arrange payment into bank account. Spoke to them yesterday and all very straightforward. However, as I expected, instead of paying the additional amount offered in the voucher 350Euro, as I was requesting cash payment then I would receive my statutory entitlement, 250Euro as per reg 261/2004. Only downside was they are paying in Euros! I did explain about the Easyjet case as highlighted post 1457 on Easyjet thread but they wouldn't move. I was happy just to leave it at that but I did advise that I would forward the relevant info to them. The girl advised that 4500 emails had been issued on Monday!!
  • EdCar25
    EdCar25 Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    OK, Flybe have now offered cash, but as expected it is in Euros and would be processed at today's exchange rate (see below). I'm not happy to accept this (for 2 passengers this is over £30 less plus FX charges). I'd appreciate a steer to the Court ruling (NoviceAngel mentions above) that directly talks to this point so that I can reference it in my next reply.

"We note your preference not to receive vouchers as compensation. As a result Flybe would be pleased to offer you a payment of €250 per passenger in line with the values set out in EU 261/2004.
    In order that this may be processed we would ask that you contact us on 0371 522 6177 or +44(0)1392 683151 if calling from abroad with your card number and expiry date. This will enable us to process the payment directly onto your chosen card; we are unable to issue cheques. We are able to complete a bank transfer however this may take up to 10 working days.
    Please be aware that Flybe will process this cash refund in Euros and you may therefore incur handling charges via your bank for the transaction.
    This offer is made in full and final settlement of all claims, demands, actions and proceedings arising out of the flight described within your letter of claim. "
  • greentrader
    greentrader Posts: 41 Forumite
    Options
    Flybe being the stubborn arrogant bunch they are have decided to defend the case. It was a faulty door and as usual they are claiming "extraordinary circumstances"

I do not want this going to mediation as that will get me nowhere apart from an hour on the telephone and then being told it will go to court.

Does any kind soul have a text I can use as a supplement to my case against them. I need to quote legal cases to the DJ, ones that set or take precedence over others. Flybe seemed to be relying on the KLM case but I know both the English and Supreme courts have already ruled without waiting for the Dutch case.

Any ideas on how best to construct my defence would be most welcome
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport