PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Brambling wrote: »

I had my first mortgage at 23 at 16%+.... we were broke

This is why I didn't have a mortgage at 23... you did a switch there... from "I" to "we". If I had been a we I'd have got a mortgage at 23 :) But I've never been a "we".
  • PasturesNew
    It's cold, it's dark, I've nothing here that I fancy....

As it's cold and it's dark, I also don't fancy going out in the car to drive round and look for takeaway food. It'd help if I had somewhere in mind, or even a type of food to look for.... but I've no idea what I want.

I'm hungry. I did have a pouch of rice earlier and half a dozen sweeties, but I need something else.

:(

I'm guessing .... in a bit I'll just give up and go out :)
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,124 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Farway wrote: »
    Great minds;), making my own was just what I thought, in fact I was looking for YS strawbs, but as is often the case, loads when not wanted. I don't think my BM can make jam, but I've no problem with jam making, especially with a dishwasher

I did briefly wonder how you made jam in the dishwasher :eek: :D I had to ask in W8itrose for the split peas as they weren't in a logical place :cool:

I've harden my heart and ignored the kitten sitting on my kitchen window ledge crying whilst I fed his lordship, his lordship was looking far too smug :rotfl: I knew they were in so assumed they shut the window so he was waiting for them to open the door :cool: Caronc has your visiting cat got over the new arrival?

I spoke to my colleague in Shanghai this morning and wished her a happy new year as they're off now for a week, she said her family wouldn't be going out to celebrate as they were worried about the virus, had I heard about it? I know she is still on chemo so I imagine they are even more worried due to her immune system. My Chinese colleague who lives in London is considering whether she wants to go home at the moment as planned. So hopefully your LL won't change her mind PN

Lunch was the last wrap with chicken and salad followed by fresh pineapple and mango. I'm not sure about dinner as I currently cba, it could be bacon and egg or jacket potato with something but as lunch wasn't until 2.45pm I'm not that hungry yet
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,087 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Good evening everyone,
    Hope you enjoy your lunch tomorrow greenappleandmilk, let us know how it works out.:)
    Cauli, leeks or onions in cheese sauce to go with your ham perhaps Farway? I really enjoyed the leeks in cheese sauce I had with mine this week.:)
    Sounds as though your either going to have to brave the cold or the kitchen PN ;)
    The alcohol was maybe keeping your cold at bay Wednesday, not that I'm suggesting that you go out on the razz again to get rid of it:rotfl::rotfl:
    My son is through the initial sift for his promotion so all his sweating over the application was worth it :D, it will up to him now at interview so fingers crossed.
    The bright and clear morning morphed into a grey and drizzly afternoon.
    The red onions have done their "thing" in SC all afternoon and are looking and smelling lush:D, I just need to turn them into gravy now. My son should arrive in an hour or so, he'll text me when he's about 45 mins away. Apart from the gravy the rest of the prep is done and just needs reheating or popping in the oven. I do need to clean the hob though, somehow I manage to splatter swede water all over it while lifting the basket from the pressure cooker. :o I've given it a good squirt of "Elbow Grease" so it should wipe up fairly easily.
    I've renewed my "bus pass" online which involved rather a lot of scanning of documents but it's sent now. I'm not sure why I'm bothering as I've not actually managed to travel by public transport since 2016 but I like to think I might manage it in the future:). Next week I'll need to do the same for my "Blue Badge" but will need to find or get a passport photo first as it doesn't seem to have the option to use the photo they already hold again. This I have used a lot so well worth the £20 it costs and it makes a huge difference to my getting out and about.:)
    I'll probably not be about much between now and Sunday so hope everyone has a good weekend when it comes.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,087 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Brambling wrote: »
    Caronc has your visiting cat got over the new arrival?
    He seems completely unperturbed though I'm not sure the pup feels quite the same - she's terrified of him even though size-wise they are much the same just now and she will get much bigger. Apparently he's been very good with her, only one hiss when she tried to chase his tail but apart from that he has ignored her and just done his own thing as usual.
    Your colleague in Shanghai must be feeling very anxious Brambling, not a good situation for anyone but especially for her with such a vulnerable immune system.
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,124 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    In most situations It's usually cat 1 puppies 0 usually learn quickly that cats have claws :rotfl:

Enjoy you weekend with your son :)
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • PasturesNew
    I found the oomph necessary ..... to try the local chippy.

Decent enough.

Small/£1.50, Regular/£2.25 ... and there was a large, which I didn't note the price of.

The warmer cabinets above the fryers were empty, so I just had the black plastic board with white stick on lettering to choose from. Wasn't overly enamoured of anything there. Bizarrely this chippy doesn't have its walls pinned thick with adverts for an assortment of products, lunch deals, deals, or anything similar. Just a plain board listing their products.

I did notice Chicken & Mushroom pie on their list, £3.95! I'll say that slowly with an air of disbelief ... THREE pounds NINETY FIVE pence for a chippy pie. Outrageous.

I chose Regular chips, with vinegar.... opened it in the car, ate 3 chips and thought "might as well go back to my room and eat these as I can't see in the dark here".... so drove home, hopped into bed and scoffed them with the little wooden fork :)

Certainly worth getting again, portion was fair, but not brilliant.
  • We got a mortgage when I was 27. I thought things like groceries seemed cheaper back then as we felt like we were doing okay with having enough disposable income.

Back in the old days of the early Noughties.:rotfl:

I had to put a portion of the leek and tattie soup and a portion of the lentil bolognese in the freezer as I realised I wouldn't be able to eat them in time. It will be good for easy ready meals.

I am having a cup of tea and will have houmous on toast for breakfast. I might put avocado on there too, or cucumber.:)
  • PasturesNew
    edited 24 January 2020 at 9:31AM
    I thought things like groceries seemed cheaper back then as we felt like we were doing okay with having enough disposable income.
    I think most individual foods were more expensive, but there weren't endless aisles of temptations to be purchased. You'd go in and buy what you went in for, maybe spot something new but leave it for now and get it next time.

Now supermarket trolleys are the size of buses and many people just pile things on ... and on.

Treats became the norm. Multipacks became the norm.

Back then you might've treated yourself to a packet of crisps, which was pricier per item.... whereas these days the temptation is to simply grab two bags of six "two for £2" without giving it a second thought.

My sibling would prefer to shop at a local corner shop as she says "you pay a lot more for what you're getting, but you only come out with what you went in for", so it worked out she spent less.
  • Saying that, I probably still bought my lunch each day and we got takeaways so maybe that explains why I thought the grocery bills were low back then!:p

OMG, I was hungry again so I had Mexican beans and rice with salsa and the sliced avocado I didn't have on the toast this morning.

I think I'm hungry because I was ill with a cold for quite a few days.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback