Two abscesses in six months and now another toothache!

OK so in June I had an absess upper first molar which was root canalled. Then in December I had another absess occur on my lower first molar same side which I am having a root canal treatment for tomorrow.

But now for the past week I have had pain in my lower molar on the opposite side and I fear this will be yet another root canal... And another 500 or so quid!

I am having bad anxiety over this. These teeth had fillings done about 15 and 20 years ago and I have not had problems since then and have always visited the dentist 6 monthly!

I don't understand why all of a sudden I'm having such severe tooth problems and this is making my anxiety sky rocket this week!

Comments

• kayeb
    kayeb Posts: 46 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I'm sure someone more qualified will be along in a while to give a more professional opinion.

I had the same problem about 13 years ago. 3 RTC in a year, & one had to be crowned. I put it down to working half days, finishing my lunch with an apple, then immediately brushing my teeth to go to work. I thought I was doing the right thing, but apparently fruit softens the enamel so to immediately brush damages already softened enamel, so I reverted to cleaning them just morning & night after all those RTCs.

However I am also a chocolate grazer, & over the last few years I would graze on chocolate st my desk during the afternoon rather than eating it at one go. I thought this would help control my weight, wrong again! Apparently this results in a constant sugar attack, not giving the teeth chance to recover. Hence in the last year I have needed more treatment, & my dentist wasn't able to root canal a heavily filled tooth, so it's got to come out. This has put the fear of god up me & I realised the chocolate has got to go.

So, I've switched to not eating between meals, given up chocolate, if I have anything sweet (very rarely now), it's eaten at mealtimes, & I'm using those interdental brushes as well as brushing. I have got used to not eating between meals, & cutting right down on sweet stuff; it got easier after about 2 weeks.

I'm sure all my old fillings will give up eventually, but the above is an attempt to keep my teeth as long as possible.

Good luck!
  • Hmmm I guess I am a bit of a grazer!

The thing that is strange though is there's no visible cavities or damage to the teeth from the outside, the tooth has died or dying and then an infection has started within the tooth.
    So I'm thinking of the grazing was the cause then the damage would be on the outside of the teeth but I could be wrong.
    It's annoying because I floss daily and brush twice a day and most people I know don't even floss and have no issues with their teeth 😭
  • kayeb
    kayeb Posts: 46 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I really sympathise! My husband brushes for just about a minute & never flosses & rarely needs treatment.

My dentist treats us both, & says some people are more prone to infections. I'm not convinced by this, I think us serial root canallers are definitely doing something wrong. My former dentist, now retired, used to talk about old fillings "leaking".

I'm sure the dentists in the forum will be able to make constructive suggestions.
  • How is your general health? Infections like this can often stem from other causes. I will never understand why dentistry is so low on the government's priorities because dental problems have a massive effect on general health and vice versa. We have very few NH denists in Devon and when I bit the bullet and went privately I was astonished at how much better my general health was afterwards. My teeth are not strong either and have just had a bridge fitted so good idea to look after yours now. Good luck.
  • puppypants
    puppypants Posts: 1,033 Forumite
    A few years ago I was plagued with dental abscesses which went on for months. I was found to be diabetic....suggest you get yourself checked! xx
  • brook2jack
    brook2jack Posts: 4,563 Forumite
    Although other types of infection in the mouth can be related to ill health , tooth abscesses are not.

An abscess on a tooth starts because the nerve has died off and the contents of the tooth become dead and infected.

The things that cause the nerve to die off are

Decay in the tooth

Large fillings or crowns

Acid damage to the tooth

Trauma ie a bang to the tooth days/months/years before or clenching or grinding or abrasion

A tooth splitting or cracking

Gum disease that is so severe it causes the nerve to die off

In other words for most people it is that they have had extensive damage to a tooth eg decay that has either caused a tooth to die off immediately or the necessary repair to the tooth has caused the tooth to die off and that could be years to have an effect .

To prevent tooth abcessses avoid the damage to the tooth in the first place by sensible diet choices , good cleaning , wearing a bite appliance (if necessary) and following your dentists advice for good oral health.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure