Home Insurance Discussion

Comments

• Isabelle
    Isabelle Posts: 49 Forumite
    Home renewal Insurance

I decided to look into this as I am fed up giving my hard-earned cash away!
    I was paying £334.56/year for buildings insurance from HSBC (as I got a mortgage throught them years ago, not for the last 3 years though!), and £201.42 for contents through Norwich Union.

I got a quote from Tesco last night for £164.85 for both !!!!!!!
    A grand saving of £371.13!!!!!!!!

And yes, I went for similar excesses, cover, etc...

Isabelle (well chuffed with myself!)
    DFW Nerd No955 'Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts'

Nerds rule! :cool:
  • :confused: Hi Everyone. Very new to this but hopefully I'm in the right place. I've just received my home (buildings and contents) renewal from my current provider (the Halifax) which seems to me to be expensive. They total over £700. The only problem I have is that my house is underpinned and the Halifax are aware of this although we do not live in a high risk area. The way I see it, my house is a lot less likely to fall down than the neighbours!! Anyhow, does anyone know of insurers that are willing to insure underpinned properties and that give reasonable renewals quotes on properties that are underpinned. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks!
  • pingu79
    pingu79 Posts: 66 Forumite
    Hi,

further to the last post, just had my mining report back on a propety I'm purchasing and it has had a claim 20years ago for subsidenece. It has been repaired and no ongoing movement. Any ideas where to go for reasonable insurance.

Just feel like some Co's are taking the pee.:mad:

Thanks
  • technolog
    technolog Posts: 6 Forumite
    Hi,

My best mate moved in last July after having to give up his house due to bankruptcy. I rang my insurers (Norwich Union) at the time to inform them and they said it wouldn't make any difference to the cost of my insurance.

Last year my insurance was about £250, this year Norwich Union quoted £305.07 (the usual loyal [STRIKE]customer[/STRIKE] sucker increase) for renewal so I thought I'd better shop around.

I was gutted to have missed Tesco's offer by a couple of days but used the MSE suggested sites and got a quote of £158 from (I think) MasterQuote. When I clicked through to their site to confirm the quote and answered all their questions - which included asking about lodgers and if anyone living at the property had ever been made banrupt - and the quote increases to £299.

So does anyone know of any companies that take a more reasonable view of bankrupt lodgers or preferably don't ask such awkward questions. Any other ideas for shaving a few pounds off would be welcome.
    If brains were dynamite, he wouldn't have enough to blow his hat off!
  • sarerb18
    sarerb18 Posts: 1,979 Forumite
    Sorry probably the wrong place but I am about to renew contents insurance and wondered if I really need the legal fees? Not my building.

Any thoughts on this please.

:confused:

Sarer
    http://www.raceforlifesponsorme.org/sarerdavis
  • losinj
    losinj Posts: 10 Forumite
    Hi

Just queried my buildings & contents renewal quote from Churchill. They wanted almost £40 more (£141 first year). I phoned them and said if they could not significantly improve on it I would shop around. (No particular loyalty to Churchill, but last year on price they beat the pants off anyone else I tried.)

Initially they wanted to know if I'd got cheaper quotes elsewhere, but when I said not and pushed them for a better figure there and then they knocked off over £30. So for less than a tenner and no shopping around I was happy to stick with them as I felt I still had a good deal (on price, anyway). And for a flat, too.
  • Please can someone help. I have spent ages trying to get cheaper building insurance. Currently paying over £900 for buildings and contents on a 4 bed semi with no claims for over 5 years!!!
    BUT as the house was underpinned over 25 years ago cannot seem to get cheaper insurance. In area where I live most houses had problems in late 70's early 80's. How does every one else get round this.
    Please can someone help?
  • I would like to make a claim on my accidental damage contents policy for my computer. However I have been informed by the Post Office (my insurers) Pc's are covered however lap tops are not. Has anyone else came up against this problem. As alot of people now have lap tops how can we insure them.
  • expat_mike
    expat_mike Posts: 50 Forumite
    Two years ago I was suckered into changing from my existing Insurance company I'd been with for more than 15 years to a subsidiary of Norwich Union called Intasure. They sell primarily by tele-sales and on the face of it its sounds a good deal compared to others in the market. BUT, come my first claim in a life time nearly two years later after 2 months arguing, I was denied my claim for storm damage to building and contents on various spurious reasons over the two months. First it was claimed I didn't have accidental damage cover as storm damage was an accident and not an act of god for some undefinable reason. Then the weather wasn't bad enough but the loss adjuster failed to inspect the damage close up. Finally Norwich Union pulled out a new secret clause stating that the wind hadn't reached a certain critical speed they use internally for claims. In essence there were more caveats than swiss cheese has holes and their whole approach was to find any excuse not to pay out. Beware also the 'excess' game they play whereby they quote you an excess of say £100, but fail to say up front it applies on eight different elements you are covered for. One incident can then cost you £800 excess if the all eight elements are affected by the claim. I was not alone in my anger as my new insurance broker made the point that they had dumped Intasure because of all the complaints they had received. Low cost is not always the best policy unless you get a lawyer to check out the policy & schedule first.
  • Justine_M
    Justine_M Posts: 9 Forumite
    Hi,
    Just wanted to share my home insurance renewal adventure.

Last year I used Martins advice and cut my Buildin and Contents from about £400 to £104, its a 3 bed semi, 1950s. The quote was from Master Quote through one of the robots that Matin suggested (can't remember which one).:money:

This years renewal has just arrived and, being a much savvier consumer now, I ran the robots again, but the cheapest was £141 (my renewal is £104.24). So I checked through my renewal and realised that it says I have a burgular alarm - which I haven't. :confused: Dilemma about whether or not to come clean, as I was sure it would push my renewal up to the price of the recent quotes. So, my conscience got the better of me and I rang them and surrpisingly my renewal came down to £103.71 - maybe it was because I'd already told them I was checking competitor prices on the web?

So, now I feel virtuous :A because I have admitted I don't have an alarm, I have checked that I am getting the best price, and I have paid it in full on my cash back credit card - quids in!
    :money:
    What would we do without this site?!:money:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family