PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Comments

• my dad was the son of a farmer and my maternal line from 1350 were all farmers then in 1820 became horticulturists on one side and were bakers on the other, definitely in my genes. I am glad to see the crop rotations being put into action here and to smell the manure being spread. Pretty high standards of farming around where I live

Now back to MK, my red coat, the one I dithered about months ago. I wore it yesterday and never once felt very comfortable. Coat bulk for starters and too warm when the sun came out. It didn`t allow me to adapt to the weather so it is going, today
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    We're losing our topsoil very rapidly. When you lose your topsoil, it's game over. This is how civilisations fail. People who spend time fretting about nuclear armageddon (people in general, not aiming at folks here) ought to be very frightened about topsoil, it's loss and the general degradation of the environment.
    Charis wrote: »
    My friend, who used to keep livestock, is very familiar with the farming environment and predicted the floods well before they happened. She has a number of farming friends and she has warned me before about the loss of nutrients in the ground. Farmers put back some nutrients artificially, but nowhere near all those that are taken out. Wheat has been engineered to produce more than one (nutrient deficient) crop a year and she told me time is running out. She thought maybe three decades were all we had left. A couple of months ago she was shocked by the news that a local arable farmer gave her. He reckons there is only ten years left in his land, after that it will be too nutrient deficient to farm. There is nothing left for the microbes and insects that are part and parcel of healthy soil :(.
    Agree absolutely about the state of the topsoil ... I didn't know the crisis point was so close, though, or that it was openly talked of amongst farmers. KMing our homes and gardens might be important in another way than we think - so that we can nurture our soil and grow more of our own food as GQ is describing.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Siebrie I'm curious about the pillowcases, mattress protector etc being thrown out at work? Pens and pencils I can understand ... do you have people sleeping on the job? That's not going to work with open-plan offices .... :rotfl:
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • shanks77
    shanks77 Posts: 1,182
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Have been motivated by you lovely lot and have 2 charity bags full of clothes and books and 4 banana boxes of crockery and glasses to take to charity shop. It is all loaded in my car and will be taken on Saturday morning when I finish work
  • Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,887
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Siebrie I'm curious about the pillowcases, mattress protector etc being thrown out at work? Pens and pencils I can understand ... do you have people sleeping on the job? That's not going to work with open-plan offices .... :rotfl:

:rotfl: I work at a head office in the hospitality industry and these were leftovers from testing/deals with suppliers.

Rescued today: villeroy&boch drinks glasses, 3 hairdryers, small space heater and a handful of change (the decadence of my workplace never ceases to amaze me...).
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • Been chipping away over the last few weeks and today finally got the big bookcase out of my bedroom (and out of my home). A few more things to go through and either store elsewhere or send on their way. Also need to put all the books together over the weekend and do a proper Kondo on them.

Also been slowly deleting old emails, from 2017 mainly although there are some from further back. There are a lot from January this year too so it'll be good to get on top of them all again so I can actually see what needs dealing with.

At last the office is looking better. There are still some piles of paper but they are much smaller now. It seems to have taken such a long time to get to this point but the continuous chipping away is starting to bear fruit.
    Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • Big red coat has gone and also a big bag of pretty metal boxes. I am seeing dd1 today and am taking her a good electric thermostatic heater, I have a spare. She and her family are temporarily renting a cottage while waiting to find a new house, it has air source heating and having seen it in action, something I would never have
  • daisy_1571
    daisy_1571 Posts: 1,163
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    kittie wrote: »
    Big red coat has gone

Glad you got your solution to the coat kittie, you have been uhming and ahing about that one a while so nice that you were able to decide one way or other.

I feel like getting rid of stuff today - beautiful spring day here, sunny but freezing cold. Off to prowl the house......

Daisy xx
    2022: 3🏅 4⭐ 2023: 5🎖🏅🏅 🎖🏅6 ⭐⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion. Take hold of every moment - anon I'm a clutterbug butterfly 🦋 The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today Well organised clutter is still clutter - Joshua Becker If you aren't already using something in your home, you won't start using it more by shoving it in a cupboard- AJMoney
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,912
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Kittie, that's an interesting comment re air source heating, can you elaborate more on the issues please?
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    If air source heating is similar to blown air it leaves a current of cold air about 18 inches off the floor so your feet are permanently cold!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure