Strange situation

Options
007stuey
007stuey Posts: 22 Forumite
edited 25 September 2018 at 8:38PM in Consumer rights
Hi all .. so this is my story in a nutshell ..
I bought some goods from a furniture shop retailer ..£500 ish and the goods turned out to be not suitable
and not what I told the shop owner specifically what I wanted... so I went back several times for a refund / resalution. .. and there was always a reason why I couldn’t have a refund.
So I got the credit card company involved and I got my money back in full.
Great !!
So now I’ve been trying to get the retailer to collect the items and they are not answering emails..phone calls etc . So it’s been nearly 3 months now and the item is still in my garage in the way .. so my question is where do I stand legally in terms of goods that I don’t own ... but they won’t Collect..
It’s been about 80days since I got my money back
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.. as you can imagine I’m fed up with this company and it’s hard to deal with a retailer that doesn’t communicate...

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Was it a chargeback or section 75?
  • 007stuey
    Options
    It was a chargeback
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Which means that it's still possible for the retailer to attempt to reverse the chargeback.

Was it a credit or debit card you used? (I assume debit card since you used chargeback, but you never know).
  • 007stuey
    Options
    Hi doam yes it was a debit card ... and I did also think this as well so I asked my bank if they had been in touch with them regarding a charge back reversal and they said no.. and I believe that the time limit for them to do so is 60 days ..and we’re at 80 days now
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Is it a large amount of furniture? Is it local? Might be worth a man and his van to dump it on their doorstep, with your back covered by photographic and written notice.
  • 007stuey
    Options
    Hi lady Dee.. yes I am considering that
  • greyteam1959
    Options
    But then you are incurring more cost !!
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'd rather be shot of the problem for the sake of the cost a man and a van, than carry on storing unwanted furniture, worrying and stressing. There does come a time when cutting losses can be more important - in my opinion.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    OP whether or not you have a duty to return rejected goods, you have a duty to take reasonable care of them - so don't be tempted to dump the goods on their doorstep.

I'd double check with your bank though - usually chargeback requires you to send the goods back and if you dont, the merchant can reverse the chargeback.

If they definitely don't want you to return the goods then follow the procedure for abandoned/uncollected goods - that is to send two written notices with your name, address etc and giving a reasonable deadline for the goods to be collected, informing them if they remain uncollected at the end of the period you will dispose of them.

You can also sell them - however any money from the sale (minus any reasonable expenses incurred in selling it) would belong to the retailer.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • ChrisK....._3
    Options
    I would sell the stuff on Schpock and send the retailer the check
    If I ruled the world.......
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business