Benefits and mortgage interest confusion.

hi,

I am on income support and have recently started to have mortgage interest paid on the new loan scheme.

I had a letter today saying the income support I would receive would now drop each week to account for the mortgage interest payment.

Since I will eventually have to pay back the mortgage interest with interest on top too (unless I have got this wrong...) I will actually be paying back money (and interest on it) on money I could have had without having to pay it back....?

Have I got this right?

anonmum

Comments

• NYM
    NYM Posts: 4,066 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Seems odd, maybe you could call them to double check?

Is there any possibility you were receiving SMI directly with your IS and as that has now stopped, they've removed it from your payments?

Sorry I can't be any help :(
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    This is what gov.uk says

https://www.gov.uk/support-for-mortgage-interest/repaying-your-loan

From that I'm surprised by what you say. Could you take your letter into CAB or similar for them to have a look

As a CAB adviser seeing the actual documentation often helps with giving the correct advice.
  • anonmum
    anonmum Posts: 67 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 29 May 2018 at 6:12PM
    Sorted now hopefully (rang them), I was late applying for the loan so it had not been added to my incoming money to them be taken off the outgoings (as it says on my letter) But will be added next week...Confusing or what? lol... Will keep an eye on it/them tho! lol thanks for the replys :-)
  • jakeys
    jakeys Posts: 2 Newbie
    Hiya , I'm new to this but not sure how I actually post a question so I thought I'd ask on here. Is anyone having problems receiving payments to their bank from " Support for mortgage interest " ? This SMI started in May and my bank haven't received any payments since this new SMI started in May . I've rang them and told them and they are gonna look into it and phone me back . I'm having to keep my bank informed as they haven't received any payments since May . Is anyone else experiencing this ? xxxx
  • anmarj
    anmarj Posts: 1,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 June 2018 at 8:22PM
    Payments are made four weekly in arrears, but have to get into a cycle first, if you give the relevant benefit a call they can check when it is due out
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure