Blowing in the Winds of Change

Comments

• *Robin*
    *Robin* Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Stoptober Survivor
    edited 12 May 2018 at 6:20PM
    Good morning World, :hello:

We came back into town yesterday. Mifi box has been getting temperamental so I ordered a new one - along with a few other useful bits for the van and some extra supplements [more about those later] - so had to collect a pile of packages from the village shop anyway.
    After a lovely fresh, hazy start to the day the temperature quickly rose to 28'C, so M and I ended up at the beach. It is lovely listening to the surf, enjoying ozone-rich air and a cooling breeze while still being able to rest in the van with all the windows open. The police patrols know me now so leave us in peace as long as I am gone by nightfall - camper-vans are officially banned during the summer season due to pressure from local camp-site owners - but having property nearby and using the van as my daily transport allows the officers to make an exception to the rule (one of the policemen has a sister with ME so he is very understanding, advocating for me with his colleagues). :)

M has been incredibly well behaved recently; he deserved a reward so we shifted in time for the evening rush at the dog park; barely saw him for a couple of hours as he hurtled about with dozens of other dogs while I chatted to their owners. :)
    We are now "stealth camping" in a side-street. I don't much like the all-night traffic noise instead of nightingales, owls and insomniac cockerels but it does save a lot of energy not driving back to the campo [only eight miles, but even so.. :o].

The new mifi box seems to get much better reception than the old one which goes some way towards justifying it's high price tag [£85! :eek:].
    Something has gone wrong with the van's 12V system so I also bought cables and connectors in order to be able to at least run the freezer off van's alternator as an extra fridge while we are travelling. It will mean working out a new approach to our diet on the road but better than living exclusively off beans on toast [me] and supermarket meat [dog].

The largest River package was a bit of a surprise - a huge pot of gloop; am trying a supplement which is supposed to prop up the mitochondria of PwME - but discovered after ordering that it's more effective for recently afflicted people whose mitochondria has not yet been damaged by the disease. Oh well, it's here now - I thought pricey at £36 - will give it a go.

This year so far my budget has been £1,500 which includes m' new Spanish Will, repairs to the electrics at DH's cottages and extra security for the Nest (as well as groceries and vet checks for M, of course). Must remember to top up the bills account before leaving though.
    Dansmam wrote: »
    Hi Robin good to see your update, sorry to hear health is such a trial for you at the moment and you're so missing DH, here's a virtual hug, for you, and an ear scritch for M. Is your plan to stay back in the uk or is it more of a visit to put the house up for sale? Safe travels when you feel ready x

Hi Dansmam, :)
    Lovely to hear from you, and cheers for the virtual hug - much appreciated; physical affection beyond doggie-licks is a rare thing in m' life these days - M chose a belly rub instead of ear scritch, hope that's ok? :)
    Not thought about long term plans really, beyond the need to liberate accessible funds. T2 has given notice so it would be a convenient time to sell that house, then some of the proceeds could be used to convert part of New House's extensive ground floor storage into a Granny flat for me. DS4 has already done a lot of work on NH - I barely recognised the back garden in the latest 'photos he sent me; last year's tangled wilderness is no more! :D

Divo Four has not been having an easy time of it though; uni is much harder than he found it while studying for his first degree, and his beloved mentor is very ill. Nevertheless he is still winning prizes for his published work, both cash and academic accolades. Wonder if I will live long enough to see him become a household name?
    Sun_Addict wrote:
    Good to hear from you Robin but sorry to hear you're having health problems. Hope you're feeling better soon and strong enough to make the journey back. Take care xx

Hi Sun.A, :)
    Lovely to hear from you too; I was sorry your holiday clashed with the last lot of bad weather in this part of the World - between rain, wind and blown Saharan sand it must have been so frustrating for you. :cool:
    Thanks for giving me a little chuckle - am already nearly four years beyond the expected lifespan for a long-term PwME, so "feeling better soon" is very unlikely to be in my stars - but am not quite ready to give up yet despite everything from breathing to any and all activities becoming harder by the month. I find it quite obscene that folk with ME still struggle to get awarded disability benefits even when further along the disease process - feel so lucky to have been able to avoid the ATOS sadists thus far!
  • *Robin*
    Dear Sun.A, bless you and thank you very much - you saved me £25! :money:
    How? Well, am not normally a betting person, but on this occasion I accepted a mate's wager as part of the #Millions Missing campaign that is taking place today. Basically I was challenged to talk 'normally' about ME here in my diary - sharing details which are usually kept within private support groups for PwME and their families / carers.
    My friend bet that if nobody at all responded within 24 hours, I would owe him £50. Less than five thanks or one comment, I must pay £25. More than five thanks or two comments he would pay £25, or more than five comments would have cost him £50.
    His point being that the general public still don't want to know - or won't believe - that ME is a life-changing, incurable and serious illness.. It's just not taken seriously until a loved one is afflicted - sometimes not even then.

Must say I thought attitudes had changed more than is obviously the case, but for now am simply grateful to Sun.A who has saved me from a whitewash!
  • Knit_Witch
    Knit_Witch Posts: 4,436 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hmm have you seen the posts on the BBC site about ME and how it is affecting people? From some who can just about manage every day life (albeit being totally shattered beyond belief at the end of the day!) to people who become totally bed bound with the fatigue and associated ME problems :eek:
    Must use my stash up!
  • fraserbooks
    fraserbooks Posts: 342 Forumite
    Hi Robin, I don't usually post on this board as I am not in debt myself but I just wanted to say your post made me realise how little I knew about M.E. and I spent some time looking at the M.E. society website after reading it.. I am going on holiday next month with a friend who has it and wanted to be a bit more prepared so Thank you for sharing.
  • NoOneAround
    NoOneAround Posts: 1,822 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Hello Robin,
    I've been off line for a while and I was really saddened to hear about the burglary. It's such a horrible thing to have happened, losing items with such sentimental value and especially the willful destruction. It makes me so angry. I do know how it feels, we got burgled 22 years ago.
    So sorry that health has been such a struggle. It's only in the last 2 and half years that I have really appreciated the the effects of long term chronic conditions and the general lack of awareness /understanding of what life is like for people living with such so called "invisible" conditions.
    Love and Hugs
    NOA
    x
    Feb2014 Total unsecured debt £72,520>>01/06/16 £68166>01/02/17 £66,600=8.18%PAID
    Mortgage Jan14=209,800 Jan15=£200,300 Jan17£180,700>OCT17 £170,200
    Health/Fitness Challenges Priority#1 Stay Fit and healthy - whatever it takes:)
    Wombling Free Cash May2016 £51
  • chevalier
    chevalier Posts: 7,937 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    sorry about the burglary. that is pants.i take it you can't fly and have M as your service animal? I am guessing it would freak him out too much?
    chev
    I want a job that is less than an hour driving away from my house! Are you listening universe?
  • *Robin*
    Hi Robin, I don't usually post on this board as I am not in debt myself but I just wanted to say your post made me realise how little I knew about M.E. and I spent some time looking at the M.E. society website after reading it.. I am going on holiday next month with a friend who has it and wanted to be a bit more prepared so Thank you for sharing.

Fraserbooks - thank you so much for taking the trouble to learn more about this horrible hidden disability. I am certain your friend will have appreciated your efforts to make the holiday more enjoyable for him/her. :)
  • *Robin*
    chevalier wrote: »
    sorry about the burglary. that is pants.i take it you can't fly and have M as your service animal? I am guessing it would freak him out too much?
    chev

Hi Chev, :hello:

Flying takes far too much of my energy alas, and the infection probability of being locked in a metal tube with hundreds of strangers who're all carrying different minor bugs, breathing re-cycled air they all share, is just too great a risk these days.

M is too large to travel in the cabin anyway, and as we're doing "owner-training" he hasn't got the protection afforded by one of the charities who train assistance dogs. My lifestyle spending half a year in one country then half in another means I can't sign up with one of these charities, as their training schedules would require us to attend regular sessions with a nominated professional trainer for at least eighteen months and probably longer.

That said, we do belong to a couple of owner-training groups for support and advice, and as a unit we are progressing. It now looks like M has had professional defence training in the past; some of his behaviours which might be mistaken for simple reactivity make more sense if he had in fact been a trained guard dog.
    He certainly impressed the Spanish Police with his ability to locate and detain would-be immigrants who were trying to break into, and secrete themselves in vehicles waiting to get on the UK ferry (but that's a whole different story - it was a terrible night!).

He can now ignore people carrying sticks, riding bikes and jogging - all of which were problems last year. If his behaviour then had just been reactivity - a form of PTSD - from being abused in his past life, then it's likely it would have taken much longer for him to get over it.

Recently we have begun practising 'public access'; going into shops and public buildings where pet dogs are not allowed. M has to avoid distractions, staying by my side and focusing on me at all times. Very much a work in progress, but he made me proud when he walked past a whole pallet of raw meat packages blocking the aisle in our local co-op without even turning his head, and then ignoring an assistant who was trying to pet him.

Divo Four worries about me when we're parked outside New House, because I tend to drop off to sleep in the van with the windows and door wide open [though all have mosquito screens], but since that awful night on the docks I am confident that any thief attempting to get inside is going to experience M's wrathful sharp end..
  • Pleased to hear from you Robin. Sounds like M is coming on in leaps and bounds Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0 :j
    Best win so far - holiday to Florida
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,278 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Welcome back Robin. M sound like a fab companion, he'll look after you for sure. My dog hates skateboards and bikes. A cyclist complained when she barked at him when he cycled past us on the pavement - I reminded him he shouldn't be cycling on the pavement it's for pedestrians!
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport