PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Comments

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,194 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Back from Easter Bunny hunting, a bit rainy but but nothing that stops people out enjoying the day

Lunch finished up as a tuna mayo sarnie in the [STRIKE]canteen[/STRIKE] restaurant , not the most adventurous choice but it did the job

Dinner will be the posh pork chop, I've got it marinating at the moment in my HM mixture. It will be grilled and eaten without any accompaniment except maybe some French mustard.

I'll chomp a banana later if needed

Lemsip nightcap as planned
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    wort wrote: »
    PN have you got yo the bottom of the police mystery?
    Just googled it, looks like a false alarm.
    Fire alarm was activated, I heard the police response vehicle.

So ... "nothing to see here" as they say :)
  • PasturesNew
    Hot sausage rolls for tea.

Usually I buy a pack of six regular sized rolls, which works out at 2/meal, 3 days.

This pack was 10 snack sized.... and so I decided it was best just to have 5/meal, 2 meals .... so I've now eaten the whole pack of 10 :)

They're not as good as the regular sized ones as you've got less meat and more pastry, so the ratio's not the same.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 9 April 2018 at 5:31PM
    Wort - it's no big deal. I know from experience it'll be gone soon. There may be summat about it in latest book just sent for (not a cookery book for once - this time it's one on Tibetan medicine). Yep...I've been doing all sorts of googling of wierd and wonderful websites this afternoon - checking for how to get rid of suspected hypothyroidism (ditto no big deal - I have confidence I can get shot of it if I'm right about it). Any sound of Tibetan gongs sounding through the ether is me having decided to try out YouTube videos of that LOL.....

Though it'll be mucking up the taste of tonight's dinner (one of the last two helpings retrieved from the freezer of "sorta bolognaise" that I made to use up last of the soya mince ever and some sweet potato chips).

Wonder how Kittie got on today re house viewings? Guess she'll be along in a minute to tell us.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,081 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Good evening everyone,
    MTSTM - I get an odd "soapy" taste in my mouth sometimes after eating pine nuts. Could they be the culprit?

As seems to the pattern recently after being dull & wet it turned out lovely late afternoon so I got a wee bit done in the garden after all:). More plants arrived today but these are already in pots so just needed unpacking:).
    My dinner plans have changed slightly as I've decided root veg mash doesn't really go with the stuffed patties so I'll do a baked spud instead. The lurking bag of parsnips can get used up in soup:cool:. My current bag of spuds are just the size I like for baking so I think I'll do a few and freeze the extras. A bit like "Goldilocks" I'm fussy in the baked spud size department so quite often bags of spuds don't have any of the size I prefer in them. I find the spuds sold as "bakers" are too big for me:)
  • PasturesNew
    caronc wrote: »
    My current bag of spuds are just the size I like for baking so I think I'll do a few and freeze the extras. A bit like "Goldilocks" I'm fussy in the baked spud size department so quite often bags of spuds don't have any of the size I prefer in them. I find the spuds sold as "bakers" are too big for me:)

Years ago, before the likes of Spud U Like shops and cafes selling baked spuds, we used to have very large spuds for baked spuds. Then the sacks stopped containing them - I guess producers were picking them out for the catering trade.

Then many menus would have a baked potato on the side of some dishes and they were small.

I begrudge paying extra for separately named "baking potatoes" and so I buy spuds at half the price/Kg and just have two smaller ones.

A few years ago I went into a fresh fruit/veg shed at a garden centre and they had a single monster spud in the loose spuds container, at regular spud prices, not marked as special at all. I bought it, it was HUGE! But I couldn't cook/eat it at the time, so gave it to a sibling, who I knew would really enjoy a proper super large baking spud.
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,118 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    ..I've been doing all sorts of googling of wierd and wonderful websites this afternoon - checking for how to get rid of suspected hypothyroidism (ditto no big deal - I have confidence I can get shot of it if I'm right

Hopefully you're find something that works for you Money I know there are various suggestions to manage thyroxin levels via diet. I think I'll stick to my little white pill every morning :) I spent a year feeling carp and gaining large amounts of weight as my levels went up and down. I may have had a small melt down in the doctors :eek: as all I was capable of doing was working and sleeping. My levels have maintained for 9 years although my latest blood tests are showing a dip so more bloods in a couple of months :(

Sausage casserole with rice and veg for lunch so I'm not that hungry maybe some fruit or oat cakes a little later otherwise I find i wake during the night. I managed a short walk lunch time it's always good to get some fresh air [STRIKE]it stopped me falling asleep in the afternoon meeting[/STRIKE] it sharpened the brain for the afternoon meeting :rotfl:
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • I'll translate "may have a slight meltdown" into = went rather ballistic shall I?:rotfl:

Have decided that, obviously, it's a good idea to work on general health (eg more exercise, etc) whatever the situation is. Now that the weather is getting better - it does help tempt me out walking. Still got lots of routes lined-up I've not tried yet.

So to date - lined-up for experimenting with is Japanese Long Breath (that's basically a form of deep breathing that's supposed to burn off any unwanted weight in pretty short order). Well it's worth a try...

I'm planning to have a go at Tibetan throat area exercises for my suspected hypothyroidism.

Those two things together shouldnt take more than, say, 20 minutes daily "unless & until (ie they've either worked or I've decided they arent going to work)".

Got mentally lined-up doing a short yoga session at least alternate days - but want to get those two things done (one way or another) for a few weeks to either have them work/or junk them (dependant on whether they work or no).

I've not got a lot of time personally for modern Western drugs/operations based medicine. It's such a "new kid on the block" compared to other traditions that have been going for thousands of years - so therefore, I feel, must have some merit.

Courtesy of YouTube - I tried out a Tibetan Gong Bath earlier to "get my chakras sorted out". Only a pretty short one - to see what I made of it - well it felt sorta "going right through me"/a bit wierd (but not in the "so wierd it made me feel thoroughly ill actually" category of sitting underneath a model pyramid some years back:rotfl:).

Yep...I'll try most remedies for things - provided they're in the "alternative" category - as I am so distrustful of that conventional Western medicine:cool:

On the oat cakes front - I've come across a recipe that sounds suitable for us singles on t'Internet (quantity for 1) that I shall have a go at for English muffins. I've duly got some apple sauce for it out of the freezer and think that could be on tomorrow's menu.

If anyone wants to try it:
    one-third cup rolled oats
    1 tablespoon chia seeds
    half teaspoon baking powder
    2 tablespoons apple sauce
    1 tablespoon mylk (but one could obviously use cows milk)

- Blitz the oats/chia/baking powder and a pinch of salt together till finely ground.
    - Place in a ramekin and flatten.
    - 180C for 12-15 minutes in the oven to cook (or could be done for a minute or two in a microwave). Till it's cooked in centre and golden brown edges
    - Slice in half, toast and spread with whatever one decides.
  • Caron - I know about the "pine nuts" aftertaste. Gather it's down to some of them (from China??) aren't the "real deal" and they're the ones that do that.

I've not had pine nuts for a while - so t'aint that...
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,118 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I couldn't possibly comment Money :p

I've just had an interesting read on 'gong baths' I've never heard of them before, it seems Aborigines have been using the didgeridoo to heal in the same way for thousands of years.

Let us know how the oat cake works, I have all ingredients so definitely one to try, I would just need to make the apple sauce which wouldn't be a problem
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback