2 power electric fire cost

Comments

• Dandytf
    Dandytf Posts: 4,819 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    PeterGr wrote: »
    Perhaps you are too focused on the cost of using an electric fire for one hour. You mentioned that you had storage heaters switched on. Each of those will be on 7 hours a night, so a 2kW storage heater has the potential to cost you £45 per month during the winter. This is more significant than the £6 per month for an hours use of the electric fire each day.

Thanks only one storage heater in hall on from Sept-possibly Feb end or early March as I like to come home to warm. Flat.
    I also use bedroom wall mounted electric fire during winter though max 30mins at night.
    I'll continue using heating as usual and I'll soon find what Sse charge q1 2019.
    Replenished CRA Reports.2020 Nissan Leaf 128-149 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500 since returned to 1gb
  • PeterGr
    PeterGr Posts: 267 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I would kindly suggest than rather wait to see what the bill is, that a reading of the electricity meter each month will give a pair of kWh figures and a monthly cost, and a much better idea of how use of the heating varies the charges over the year.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    All your heating except the single NSH is running on E7 peak rate. Get rid of the E7 meter/tariff and switch to single rate. That will reduce your costs from 18p per kWh to about 12p per kWh.
    Or replace the fan heater with an NSH.
    I doubt that running a single NSH on E7 is economic if you then use peak rate heating in other rooms.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Dandytf
    macman wrote: »
    All your heating except the single NSH is running on E7 peak rate. Get rid of the E7 meter/tariff and switch to single rate. That will reduce your costs from 18p per kWh to about 12p per kWh.
    Or replace the fan heater with an NSH.
    I doubt that running a single NSH on E7 is economic if you then use peak rate heating in other rooms.

I don't think I'\ll get a meter replaced.
    WHa's NSH, any examples
    Replenished CRA Reports.2020 Nissan Leaf 128-149 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500 since returned to 1gb
  • Dandytf
    Night storage heating -that's the hall storage heater, e7 rates.
    The living room storage heater was removed and replaced with the fan heater not by myself as such.
    Probably cause storage heaters cool down afternoon until during the night.
    As I mentioned I'll soon find what Sse think cost wise may Jan or Feb.
    Meanwhile I'll use power one only when required.
    I'll repost early 2019 when my next Sse bill is due to arrive or earlier as I'll take some more readings sooner.
  • Dandytf
    Whilst I expected Bulb electric bills to rise, I'm reasonably happy.
    Have been using bedroom e7 wall mounted electric heater 30 mins some nights
    Also switched on the 2k electric fan heater in living room 2or3 times reacently-no more than 30 mins approx.
    Since joining Bulb Feb of 2019 66 pounds DD was more than enough during spring/summer until No'v
    1st increase is deemed to be... I had used 85 pounds from 11thOct to 7th Nov that's only 19 pounds increase on monthly DD.

One or two options-think rather than increase DD immediately , I'll make additional small one off payments and try and avoid going into debit territory whilst my balance is +.76p.
  • markin
    markin Posts: 3,844 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    If your using the bedroom "e7 electric heater" before 12:00 you may be using your day rate power! Check what time your night meter actually starts!

Is it still charging at night or are you just using the boost on day power?

As said earlier you may be far better off changing to a single rate if you barely use the night rate, Give us last years meter readings for Day and Night.
  • Dandytf
    markin wrote: »
    If your using the bedroom "e7 electric heater" before 12:00 you may be using your day rate power! Check what time your night meter actually starts!

Is it still charging at night or are you just using the boost on day power?

As said earlier you may be far better off changing to a single rate if you barely use the night rate, Give us last years meter readings for Day and Night.

Bedroom e7 almost 1 hour before midnight- think my times are either 23:15 or 12:00
    It's not like hall storage heater as bedroom is flat panel heater it doesn't charge overnight it has on/off switch and temp dial.
  • markin
    markin Posts: 3,844 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    So just 1 storage heater, and water? you really need to to look at switching 1 rate
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,937 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You don't need to change the E7 meter in order to change to a single rate tariff, many companies will happily just add the two readings together. Have you done any non-E7 comparisons? You may well find single rate is cheaper. Similarly, separate suppliers may be cheaper than dual fuel, so you need to check a few combinations.

You could even consider using E7 only from September to March if you can switch tariffs without penalty.

BTW, the rating of your electric fire should be shown on it, probably on a small metal plate at the back.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure