Pay off mortgage and start having fun!

Comments

• newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,937 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Hi vix, not sure we have picked the right week, I m feeling rough still and heavy rain is forecast for saturday again, at least we can use the kagools we bought last time we went :rotfl:

Had a look at the mortgage spreadsheet last night, we have exactly 2 years 6 month left now and will be left with a balance of around £30k if we are pretty frugal and don’t book anymore holidays /cars. So we’d will need to remortgage really rather than get a loan out for the remainder to clear it, So en extra 21 months or so after we have finished to pay the remainder off. So a total of 53 months (bearing in mind the next two months are basically massively reduced due to paying for a trip and giving Dd a lump sum.)

The factory mortgage ends sept 2023 (current home mortgage April 2022) at which point we can redirect the rent after tax and Accountancy fees deduced and put £1400 pm into the the home mortgage for the last 12 months clearing it in Oct 2024 , so 60 months (starting properly jan 2020).

I’ve been not spoken to dh yet about this and we had decided to keep the business separate, but it would release a lot of pressure and uncertainty regarding the balance left at the end and how realistic it is to be frugal for a whole five years at this point in our lives.

It would reduce or payments by £5-600pm or so :eek: whilst only adding around 7 months to term. Obviously it’s a years less rent we would have to spend when the time comes. It still allows for plenty of extra ops to reduce that extra term a bit, but it seem so like a more even balanced approach.

I’ve been very hung up on being mf at April 2022 as when I joined mse in 2010 I remortgaged (£182 k odd I believe) from around 33 years to 12 and so it’s really been that end date for the whole journey :o But even if we didn’t eat for the next 2&1/2 years we couldn’t pay it off and take a small loan out for the balance so I need to probably let it go. We have had other big expenses along the way , like the new kitchen and loft conversion (around £47k).

I need to have a clear plan for 2020 onwards as everything has been so up in the air with spending this year, we still haven’t got a final bill from the builder!

Next year I want to be more focused and organised, being frugal as much as possible on the stuff that doesn’t matter and spending on having fun with the (big!) kids , dh, friends and family and also setting aside some money for when dd moves out /gets married to contribute a bit.

Phew, off to work now :D
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,893 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Pity about the weather forecast!

Your plan for the mortgage sounds sensible - if you can't do it, you can't do it and there's point making yourselves miserable/missing out on life. When you think about where you started, you've come such a long way!
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• I hear you, our goal is 2023, realistically we won't make it, but we keep plugging away and will be where we are at the time, you never know what will happen between then and now.
    DFW (08/08) £64,346.53 Gone (02/19)
    MFW (08/08) £118k Gone (09/23)
  • Radish72
    Radish72 Posts: 2,073 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Our goal was Aug 2022 but we achieved Aug 2019, so you never know, keep on plodding :)
    Mortgage Aug 12 £165K, Aug 19 £0
    ISA challenge start 2019 £3000/£1500 (50%)
  • newgirly
    Thanks everybody :) I’m sure people in the “real world” would think it’s a bit obsessive, being so hung up on paying the mortgage off by a certain date :o I’ve still not had a chance to talk to dh about it yet, he was late yesterday and will be super late tonight too, I’ll get him in the car on the way to York - a captive audience :rotfl:

Well done Radish for reaching your goal - ahead of target too :T

Hi debtfreeoneday, keep going at it we will get there eventually :D

Hi vix, weather does look rough! we had pouring rain all weekend in summer too :o

I went out for a few hours today, picked up currency ordered for Budapest and met up with ds2’s girlfriend for coffee. I may have ended up buying her, myself and dd matching red tartan pjs from primarni to wear at Xmas :xmassmile
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • newgirly
    We made it to York :T The xmas market is lovely of course, dh bought some posh fudge last night, we stopped at the outlet centre on the way in and had a subw@y lunch so that was cheaper than eating out in town (which dh would usually want to do in a pub :rotfl:) bought dad a xmas hamper in hotel ch@colate with 20% off. Then had an early prezz@ dinner , 2 x courses and a drink for £28 , so not too bad.

Today we are going for a proper wander and I’ll have to visit York Minster again, one of my favourite places ever! At £10 each I’m glad the tickets are reusable for a year.
  • CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I love York despite last visiting when I was only 10 years old!

Have a wonderful weekend.
    Apr 2024 - part 1 - £30,337 part 2 - £24,811 Total - £55,148 43 months to go!
  • newgirly
    Thanks Cath, you should come and visit York again :D

Tiring day wandering around although plenty of rest stops for breakfast in gr@ggs, lunch in a pub, mince pie and tea in m&s this afternoon, then back home for dinner - I’m going to be the size of a house if I carry on like this!

I’ve bought a couple of jumpers on offer for Dd from n@w look for Xmas, a couple of handmade ornaments for dds boyfriend’s dd as a “holiday” present, not buying for our kids as they have had the gift of us being away :rotfl:

Coming home early tomorrow, I don’t like driving back later in the day as it’s a bit tiring when we both don’t feel great, plus I have an evening of hot chocolate and binge watching the crown as well as i’m A celebrity tomorrow night :) Lots off cleaning to do first though, I’ve shut the doors on the second bedroom and bathroom so we didn’t have to clean them, my mums standards are higher than Claridges hotel in London where I once worked as a maid :rotfl:
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,893 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Sounds like it was a good weekend, despite the weather. Hope you had a safe journey back!

Binge-watching the Crown? Nooo, you have to make it last! Enjoyed the first episode last night though :)
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• newgirly
    Hi vix, yes thanks it was tiring but good. Still didn’t start watching the crown yet as we were too busy watching the Prince Andrew interview :eek:

Spending and plans are all over the place, I’ve not been splashing out too crazily though so hopefully when I do get round to checking everything it won’t be a disaster.

No ops made this week so far, but a costa coffee bought and £5 donated to the local homeless charity, plus six pieces of tinsel for the kids rooms at 3-4-2.

Back later as I’m at work waiting for my broken machine to be fixed :o
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback