PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Rewiring Query FTB

Comments

• Could do with the supply cable and meter (blank out the meter serial number, or put a bit of tape over it when taking the photo)
    baldly going on...
  • Not sure what a supply cable is lol

Is this pic any helpful?

https://imgur.com/a/VfWHa6H
  • yep

It's a standard (OLD) lead sheathed supply cable.

You should consider moving the consumer unit upstairs and keeping the meter here as I said earlier.
    baldly going on...
  • Newuser0
    Newuser0 Posts: 126
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I take it from that pic you would recommend a rewire?

I’ve had a quote which has come back at £3500 to supply and fit (4 bed). I’ve dont on average 3 twin sockets in each room and 4 twin in kitchen.

The main breakdown is:

Fuseboard and earth bonding £500
    Each socket point or supply £50
    Each pendant with switch £40
    Spots £20
    Cooker supply £100
    Extractors £90
    Smokes £60
    Security lights £40 10w, £50 20w, £60 30w

Accessories used are British general from Screwfix, sockets switches pendants etc.

Fuseboard will be either British general or MK

Every pendant will be fit with a LAP GLS LED bulb in also from Screwfix.

Price sounds decent to me, what do you guys think?
  • Newuser0 wrote: »
    I take it from that pic you would recommend a rewire?

I’ve had a quote which has come back at £3500 to supply and fit (4 bed). I’ve dont on average 3 twin sockets in each room and 4 twin in kitchen.

The main breakdown is:

Fuseboard and earth bonding £500
    Each socket point or supply £50
    Each pendant with switch £40
    Spots £20 - too cheap- are they fire rated?
    Cooker supply £100
    Extractors £90
    Smokes £60
    Security lights £40 10w, £50 20w, £60 30w

Accessories used are British general - cheap tat (in my opinion)
    from Screwfix, sockets switches pendants etc.

Fuseboard will be either British general (still cheap TAT) or MK (no longer manufacturing consumer units)

Every pendant will be fit with a LAP GLS LED bulb in also from Screwfix.

Price sounds decent to me, what do you guys think?

I don't really rate LAP as it is Screwifx /B&Q own make

I need to put up my costs- I use Hager consumer units and acessories which cost more.

I would also suggest fire rated downlights with LED GU 10 lamps- I prefer not to use integrated LED fittings as you need to change the whole fitting when a lamp goes.
    baldly going on...
  • I don't really rate LAP as it is Screwifx /B&Q own make

I need to put up my costs- I use Hager consumer units and acessories which cost more.

I would also suggest fire rated downlights with LED GU 10 lamps- I prefer not to use integrated LED fittings as you need to change the whole fitting when a lamp goes.

Whilst I agree with the idea of the replaceable nature of GU10's Vs integrated Personally I like the Intergrated ones as they generally give a much wider spread of light so you don't need quite so many especially in larger rooms.
    Those who risk nothing, Do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing
    MFW #63 £0/£500
  • Newuser0
    Newuser0 Posts: 126
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I don't really rate LAP as it is Screwifx /B&Q own make

Thanks mate, I don’t think the lights are fire rated, I’ll ask the guy but he didn’t mention it.

I’m going to also ask for a quote for just fitting and I’ll supply.

Or maybe you can pop to West Midlands and do mine? :))
  • Newuser0 wrote: »
    Thanks mate, I don’t think the lights are fire rated, I’ll ask the guy but he didn’t mention it.

I’m going to also ask for a quote for just fitting and I’ll supply.

Or maybe you can pop to West Midlands and do mine? :))

In Scotland the building standards require fire rated lights (or fire hoods) since October 2014, I had a look on the Part P site and it didnt mention downlights
    I didn't realise how poor the building regs were down south.

Don't buy stuff for the electrician to fit- if you supply it then your are liable- there is NO guarantee.

You should specify what acessories you want and have them cost them.
    baldly going on...
  • chunkytfg wrote: »
    Whilst I agree with the idea of the replaceable nature of GU10's Vs integrated Personally I like the Intergrated ones as they generally give a much wider spread of light so you don't need quite so many especially in larger rooms.

The issue is the quality of the lamps- I buy and install 5W LED lamps with a 500 lumen output- this is quite a decent output and at or above the output of 50W GU 10 traditional lamps
    baldly going on...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport