Compensation for delayed flights Discussion Area

Comments

• Dan-1987
    Dan-1987 Posts: 65 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Looking for some advice,had an issue a few months back with a jet2 flight,I’ve since complained through the correct procedure and have just had a response stating that they won’t be issuing any compensation,I’m determined to pursue this and wondered if any one had any advice about how to approach this?

I booked direct with jet2 (flight only) For a flight on the 19th May 2019 from Manchester to lanzarote departure time of 15.45,the passengers on our booking were myself,my girlfriend & our 4 month old daughter.We boarded the plane as usual no issues but after a delay of an hour or so they informed us there was an issue refuelling and hopefully we’d be sorted soon,long story short we weren’t and eventually it turned out that Manchester airport had a huge fuelling issue that day and we wouldn’t be going anywhere,we left the aircraft and had to wait for a replacement flight later that night,eventually we boarded and departed on that replacement flight at approx 22.30 that night however after being in the air approx 3 hours
    they then announced that we would be unable to land at lanzarote & instead would be diverted to gran canaria where we would be put up in a hotel and,later the next evening (once the staff had had their 12 hours rest time) we would be flown to lanzarote.We arrived at our hotel for the night at approx 4.30 am to find that there wasn’t any sleeping facilities available for an infant! By this point we were tired and very angry given that when we spoke to a jet2 rep at the airport I specifically asked if the hotel/room would be equipped for an infant which I was assured it absolutely would be!
    As you can imagine it was an absolute nightmare,especially given that we’d been awake all day already!
    Eventually the following evening at 19.30 we were flown to lanzarote,so by the time we arrived at our hotel we were over 24 hours late.

Need to know where I stand with this,Ideally I’d like the flight refunding at least.Does this sound reasonable?
    I’m stuck in that I can’t use the usual templates and legislation to make a claim due to the circumstances.

Thanks in advance
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,542 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    you have already posted this a couple of posts back. As advised post on the Jet2 thread. There were a large number of flights cancelled that day so there may be similar posts
  • Dan-1987
    Dan-1987 Posts: 65 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Ah yeh see it now,I didn’t think it the reply had worked yesterday when I wrote it!
    It’s not so much the delays caused by the refuelling that was the issue,the sleeping arrangements or lack of for my daughter was the main problem for us.
    I’ll head over to the jet2 thread & take a look

Thanks
  • Thanks very much for your reply and advice I will follow the advice and hopefully get a satisfactory outcome. Thanks again Bill p
  • Justice13075
    Justice13075 Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Bill, Which airline was it?
  • Our flight with Airtransat to Vancouver was delayed by 24 hrs in August. We applied for compensation and they came back with an offer of £1442 per person which we accepted. They have now replied saying that due to a currency conversion error they have reduced the offer to £522 each. Does anyone know if the original offer is legally binding or do we need to accept the revised offer which I believe is the maximum they are obliged to pay under EU regulations? Many thanks
  • It is quite clearly a conversion error. The most compensation you get is €600 which funnily enough will be around the figure £522 when converted. I assume if you tried to sue them for the initial offer you will have a fight on your hands. I don't know if children are involved but if they are no matter how old they are the compensation is theirs, not yours.
  • Hi Justice,
    The airline concerned was easyjet.
    Thanks Bill
  • Justice13075
    Justice13075 Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    You now need to contact them and ask for a deadlock letter so you can go to Arbitration.
  • gm786
    gm786 Posts: 12 Forumite
    gm786 wrote: »
    Thanks all
    We have made a start with ADR using SÖP.
    I will come and post here once I hear.
    If they don't agree and reject, next stop is EUCLAIM.
    really grateful to everyone who took time to reply.

Update 12/11/19
    We raised our claim with ADR using SÖP.
    Had an email almost 2 months later where the solicitors suggested 75%of ticket prices + taxi fare from London to Birmingham as an amicable resolution.
    To our surprise, as soon as we replied with our confirmation to accept this, we received an email from the solicitors at SÖP in les than 24 hours to say Swiss Air had accepted it as an out of court settlement and will be contacting us for repayment. SÖP asked for our bank details which we gave. Didn't receive any call or mail from airline but can see an amount being initiated into our bank account for payment tomm.
    I wouldn't have been at this stage without the valuable guidance and support I received from this forum
    Thanks guys.. You all rock! 🥳
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure