Late once in 2 years and boss complained

Comments

• jobbingmusician
    jobbingmusician Posts: 20,343 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Intrepid Forum Explorer
    For all you know, he may be protecting himself. X, round the corner, is always late. He doesn't want to be in the situation where X can say 'you never challenge anyone else when they are late. OP was 10 minutes late recently and you didn't say anything'
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I get where you are coming from.................I hate to think of the hours...yes hours a month my daughter gives the NHS.

If may have just been an innocent question or maybe a dig because you are leaving. Either way, who cares. A simple..............."sorry traffic" and that's all he gets. Now until you leave don't do a minute over your contracted hours and take all your lunch hours.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Maybe they have been told to ask...

Say sorry, but don't keep saying it. Move on.
  • Nothanks
    Nothanks Posts: 160 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    "Sorry boss, it was because of (REASON).

I should have popped over to let you know, but wanted to crack on.

Won't happen again."

Move on with life.
    Union official.
    CiPD qualified.

Anything I post is solely MY OPINION. It never constitutes legal, financial or collective bargaining advice. I may tell you based on information given how I might approach an employment dispute case, but you should always seek advice from your own Union representative. If you don't have one, get one!
  • JReacher1
    JReacher1 Posts: 4,652 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I can see why you are annoyed (I would be too) but with things like this it is always best to take the emotion out of it.

Personally I would reply with -my apologies this is the first time I have been late in two years and it happened because ..... -

Just be factual.
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,136 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Nothanks wrote: »
    "Sorry boss, it was because of (REASON).

I should have popped over to let you know, but wanted to crack on.

Won't happen again."

Move on with life.

I wouldn't even promise for it never to happen again as it inevitably will. Say sorry, give a plausible reason and move on. Someone being late once in a blue moon isn't an issue, it's called having a life outside of work.
  • boo_star wrote: »
    It's common because it's a reasonable stance to take.

"I often don't leave exactly on time so it's not going to be a problem if I occasionally don't make it in exactly on time."

But it basically never works that way. It's not a give and take relationship, it's all take. They expect you to be on time all the time and leave late if requested.

in my previous job:
    boss "can you explain why you were so late (10mins) this morning?"
    me: "traffic was a lot worse than normal, however I was in 15 minutes early yesterday and I thought there was an element of flexible working in this job?"
    boss: "that doesn't matter, dont be late again"

I didn't do a minute longer than my contracted hours after that.
    And he wondered why his staff turnover was running at 40% a year.
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    in my previous job:
    boss "can you explain why you were so late (10mins) this morning?"
    me: "traffic was a lot worse than normal, however I was in 15 minutes early yesterday and I thought there was an element of flexible working in this job?"
    boss: "that doesn't matter, dont be late again"

I didn't do a minute longer than my contracted hours after that.
    And he wondered why his staff turnover was running at 40% a year.

My finance manager was late in the other week, birthday, England match, darts game all conspired to delay him by two hours ( he rang in and said he was going to wait for the traffic to die down before coming in) and I said, 'age ** and you can still party. Kudos!'

We take the view that as long as it isn't vital that you be in at a specific time, ie you aren't keeping a colleague or a customer waiting, then it doesn't matter occasionally. It's all swings and roundabouts. Explains why my staff retention is over 80% - and a good proportion of the 20% retire.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Am working my notice period at the moment as a middle manager in a small sized company. Have been there for nearly 2 years have never been late or taken a day off sick for that matter in that time. Regularly worked unpaid overtime, came in at weekends to finish project work off.

Arrived ten minutes late at work yesterday no important meeting that I should have attended, nothing critical that I missed being ten minutes late. Received an email from my line manager this morning saying that he had noted on the clocking system that I was ten minutes late and what was the reason for this?

I actually had to calm myself after I read this and would like suggestions how to reply to this professionally and pragmatically. TIA

I don't understand why you "had to calm yourself down" as that seems like a massive overreaction for simply asking the reason. It could have been that you forgot to clock in and clocked in 10 minutes later so the time needs correcting on the system.
  • SueC_2
    SueC_2 Posts: 1,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    If your salary was late going into your bank account one month, would the fact that it had been on time every month for the last two years make it okay?

Apologise, explain, don't do it again, move on.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure