Do your cats wear collars?

Options
Our boys are currently indoor cats, but once we've settled into our new house we plan to let them outside.

I remember one of my parent's cats never grew fur in a ring around her neck from where the collar had been for over 15 years. The more recent two would go out with collars on but come home without them, so they gave up after a while.

If we go down the cat flap route it'll be a microchip one, so the collars would be purely for ID purposes - though hopefully bells on them will stop them catching critters!

If your cats do wear collars, how long did it take them to get used to wearing their collars?

Comments

• GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I wouldn’t risk it personally, collars can cause really awful injuries.
  • Money_maker
    Money_maker Posts: 5,471 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Mine used to - primarily so a bell could warn the wildlife. However, this seemed to stop working effectively so we gave up on the collar. The hair still hasn't returned properly but she's a lot nicer to stroke. Microchip catflap too which I cant recommend enough particularly as another cat in the area keeps trying to beat her up.
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed. ;)

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite! :rotfl::rotfl:
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,306 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    These look an interesting concept to me:
    https://www.birdsbesafe.com/
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Nope, I have 4 and all hate collars. They can also be dangerous so not risking it, but they are chipped.
  • DD265
    DD265 Posts: 2,202 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have to say I'm relieved to read the responses! I think we'll stick with no collars :)
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Nope

Ive tried collars with the same idea as you, add a bell and give birds a chance, but quick release collars are off within seconds of being put on, and I wouldn't risk any other type
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    theoretica wrote: »
    These look an interesting concept to me:
    https://www.birdsbesafe.com/
    :rotfl: I think they chose their cats carefully for that photoshoot: I can just imagine the looks on SOME cats if you tried to put one of those on them ... SO undignified!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • SensibleSarah
    Options
    All 4 of mine wear collars (and tags) and have done all of their lives. All are chipped but I simply don't trust that people will think to get a cat scanned and I want to make sure my cats 'look owned'. They wear collars that break away if they get trapped and whilst I went through collars and tags by the bucketload when they were younger, I persevered and haven't had to replace one in a few years now my gang are a bit more sensible and less likely to get themselves into scrapes.

I totally understand why some people won't use them though! With more adventurous cats I might have followed the same path.
  • selement
    selement Posts: 518 Forumite
    Options
    I wanted mine to wear them if they were to go out to look owned (They are microchipped) and with bells to reduce catches. Bought some nice harry potter ones but nope both acted depressed with it on and one could remove it within an hour. Still house cats at the moment:/
    Trying to lose weight (13.5lb to go)
  • hb2
    hb2 Posts: 1,398 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I have 2 cats but only 1 goes out (the other has medical issues) and I would like a collar so that he looks 'owned'. However, he has other ideas! When we had a magnetic cat-flap I was forever buying more collars and magnets but now we have a microchip flap I have given up on the collars.

Unfortunately, my cat is very predatory :(
    It's not difficult!
    'Wander' - to walk or move in a leisurely manner.
    'Wonder' - to feel curious.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport