PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Frugal in retirement

Comments

• vodkawitch11
    vodkawitch11 Posts: 36
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 31 December 2018 at 10:37AM
    Nice new shiny year tomorrow so all the best everyone for 2019

Set myself a few little challenges for 2019 to keep me on the straight and narrow.

Yellow sticker hunting has become my new hobby and I done well last night spending under a fiver for quite a haul.

I am lucky to live not to far from some large supermarkets.
    I don`t get sp for another 2 years.

I live alone so food and cleaning stuff I can do for about £20 a week, I`m a carer so like most people money is tight.
    I find doing surveys, receipt apps like shoppix and saving supermarket points help with Christmas so will be doing them again in 2019.
    Save more - Travel more

`TAKE NOTHING BUT PHOTO`S - LEAVE NOTHING BUT FOOTPRINTS`
  • cuddlymarm
    cuddlymarm Posts: 1,890
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Hi guys
    Christmas is now well and truly over and I’m ready and raring to go for 2019. I’ve joined the 2019 Grocery Challenge so that will keep me on track and also the Frugal Living Challenge so that I think about what I’m doing.
    The fridge is nearly empty but I’ve ordered my online shop for Thursday and I’ve plenty of tins and frozen to last until then. So we only need some beer ( we’re off to friends this evening) and a bottle of milk.
    We really need to get our diet back on track. I’m determined to get to target by the time we go on holiday in July (preferably before so I can stop paying SW)
    My mantra is going to be nothing is bought until absolutely necessary. Nothing wasted, everything used up to the last drop.
    I hope you are all feeling well and ready for what the new year will bring.
    Happy New Year frugallers
    Cuddles
    🎄December 🎄 NSDs 11/15
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    cuddlymarm wrote: »
    Hi guys
    Christmas is now well and truly over and I’m ready and raring to go for 2019. I’ve joined the 2019 Grocery Challenge so that will keep me on track and also the Frugal Living Challenge so that I think about what I’m doing.
    The fridge is nearly empty but I’ve ordered my online shop for Thursday and I’ve plenty of tins and frozen to last until then. So we only need some beer ( we’re off to friends this evening) and a bottle of milk.
    We really need to get our diet back on track. I’m determined to get to target by the time we go on holiday in July (preferably before so I can stop paying SW)
    My mantra is going to be nothing is bought until absolutely necessary. Nothing wasted, everything used up to the last drop.
    Cuddles

Ooh will have to look up the grocery challenge, sounds interesting. I am on the Frugal thread. Also the Christmas 2019 saving group and the Simple Living thread. All very useful
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,392
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    cuddlymarm wrote: »
    Hi guys
    Cuddles

Cuddles, why not do 5:2, just buy Michael Mosley's book. There are recipes in the original, but I bought a dedicated recipe book by Mimi Spencer from Amazon.

We lost weight, 2st and 3st respectively without paying to a club and, as we've learned to eat twice a day rather than three, we've also saved money. :)
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • Gers - it sounds lovely. We too spent money to make out house comfortable and 'retirement friendly', and we do very well living in an area where we can buy game cheaply.
    We use our time to make as much as we can from scratch. We walk for exercise, and I have a swim pass that costs £16 a month.
    Our entertainment is quite cheap as well. We have some good local concerts, usual cost £10-12 each, a few times a year, and a music festival with a whole weekend pass for £45.Those are our big 'going out' expenditure. We do, however, spend on TV sports subscriptions - my DH's great pleasure. I don't begrudge it, as his other main hobby is making furniture and he does lots of repairs.
  • tori.k
    tori.k Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    I will admit im a little envious as most here are where i'd like to be, im now on a 10 year plan to make it happen, im actually not eligible for my state pension for another 20 years but my forecast shows in 10 years I will have contributed enough for the current full state pension and plan to have the mortgage cleared around the same time and with a small private pension hope at worse to part retire at 56, just got to make it happen :)
    Best of luck everyone and happy new year
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,731
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    tori.k wrote: »
    I will admit im a little envious as most here are where i'd like to be, im now on a 10 year plan to make it happen, im actually not eligible for my state pension for another 20 years but my forecast shows in 10 years I will have contributed enough for the current full state pension and plan to have the mortgage cleared around the same time and with a small private pension hope at worse to part retire at 56, just got to make it happen :)

There is talk of private pensions only being payable ten years prior to state pension age, so you may have to wait until at least 57 before you can start payments from your private pensions. Not sure when the 68 for state pension kicks in.
  • tori.k
    tori.k Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Most likely as the goal post keeps moving, ive got 56 in my head now and its to depressing to think of any longer, so if I spend a year on beans on toast so be it, im sadly not averse to cutting my nose off to spite my face :)
    68 kick in for those born after 78 so sadly im safe there
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,481
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    tori.k wrote: »

Good luck with your plans. I early retired by 4 years, 2 of them due to ill health. So just my DHs money to live on for those 2 years. I received my works pension at the age of 60 and SP from 62, although all our plans had been for me to retire at 60 with a State Pension. I was one of the early ones affected by the goal posts moving! Everything has worked out OK. I really feel for anyone who has to wait even longer.

Denise
  • I do think that one of the good things to come out of the WASPI women's campaign is that more people are aware of the issues around pension planning. I was only slightly affected, by the first change (by a year) but my sister, four years younger, has to wait until she is 7 years older than I was.
    She was aware of it, and planned accordingly. We were brought up in an area where a lot of women worked, there was an active Trade Union movement, and people talked about 'knowing your rights'. So we both made it our business, from first starting work, to know what was going on, and I became aware, over the years, that was not true for everyone.
    I think now, that future generations will be more active in their planning, and sites like this are very helpful.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure