PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Prepping Thread - A Newer Beginning ;)

MandM90
MandM90 Posts: 2,246 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
edited 7 June 2023 at 4:43PM in Old style MoneySaving
Thanks to fuddle for helping to keep your lovely thread safe from the spam gremlins by starting a new one. I've unstuck the old one, link below...

This will be the PREPPING thread inspired by this long running thread

and the second one which can be found here

Votes took place here on what this thread is designed primarily for:) outcome was as follows....

54% One thread please politics or not - all prep chat welcome
11.29% Two threads - one Brexit based politics welcome, one general life based, preferred no politics
19.35% One thread, no politics please, this is OS
14.52% I don't honestly mind

So with these differing opinions, please bear this in mind and enjoy the thread :) Be respectful and enjoy the community. I really hope everyone's happy with the outcome. I tried to be as fair as I could.

Let's not forget the intermittent prepping thread :)

Guidelines

* All posters are welcome. This thread doesn't "belong" to anyone (not even me :rotfl:)

* Please be nice to all moneysavers :A

* Let's all draw a line in the sand and move on from previous threads and disagreements etc

* Would love to see new people joining in here and existing posters who have gone quiet for whatever reason

EVERYONE IS WELCOME :)

Enjoy the new thread Ladels and Jellyspoons. I've made this a sticky to ensure it gets a great start and lots of contribution.

ZIP

From the previous thread, let's not forget how this started - from vanoonoo

0b1030dfd15553e3d169e50250b0071c.jpg

Comments

• Doveling
    Doveling Posts: 704 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    What spam gremlins?
    How rude. Didn't we vote last time?
    Definitely needs to be a sticky to help others.
    Not dim ;) .....just living in soft focus :p
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Thank you M&M90 :)

No need to make a fuss again doveling. We have a new thread like every other thread on here that gets big.

As we were then...
  • Doveling
    Not making a fuss - do not patronise me!

Taking it upon yourself without any askance or input is just plain rude.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,495 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    sometimes-i-use-big-words-i-dont-understand-to-make-myself-sound-more-photosynthesis.jpg
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    All I did was contact a board guide about the subject. The board guide agreed and here we have a new thread. I'm not rude, what I did was not rude and I don't have to ask anyone's permission as a user of an open forum. I am proactive. Shoot me. :D
  • Thanks to both Fuddle and M&M for giving us a new thread, if anyone wants to apportion blame then give it to me as I suggested a new thread in the first place on the experience that quite a few other threads had been auto deleted by the Gremlins at around 10,000 posts which is where we were on the old one. Stickied or not it's the same argument that was used on the older thread that it has become just too long for new people to wade through for the information in it.

A new beginning …..and we'll all carry on prepping for our different reasons and in our different ways.....
  • MandM90
    MandM90 Posts: 2,246 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Doveling wrote: »
    What spam gremlins?
    How rude. Didn't we vote last time?
    Definitely needs to be a sticky to help others.

We've lost a few long running threads in the past because of people (presumably accidentally) hitting the 'spam' buttons, which causes them to be irretrievably deleted. All of the previous threads are still in existance and can be found via the links in the first post :)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 28 November 2018 at 5:00PM
    It seems you're never too old to learn and am grateful for the internet for having film footage of useful things to know. We have the new stove in but it's a dedicated wood hearth i.e flat and not the slatted multi fuel hearth we had in the Clearview stove we had in Hampshire. We've been having difficulties getting the fire away from the paper and kindling stage so I looked on the internet and found we laying the initial paper and kindling wrongly in a grid with pieces of kindling on top of each other on top of the scrunched paper. For a wood hearth you need to make a pile of ash 2cm deep, scrunch up some newspaper but not tightly, add a few pieces of cardboard and then build a 'wigwam' of kindling wood around and over that, we got a nice bright fire away with one match and no fuss and within 5 minutes were able to put second stage sized wood on and get it alight immediately. Old dog.....new tricks gratefully learned!
  • Doveling
    -taff - thank you so much for pointing out that I had written askance instead of asking. That was really useful. Just not sure to whom.

I obviously have no objection to a new thread because of length. I remember who did last time.
    However, there are ways of going about things without getting people's backs up.

MandM90 - could the thread be stickied please, as Zippy so kindly did before.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,495 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    There's the top down method of lighting too.
    As you say, wood burs on embers, it doesn't need air from the bottom, as long as there's some kind of air going in, it'll burn. I've keep the door vent closed on mine and open the airwash one until it's good and red, then clode that one too and just burn one piece at a time on top of the embers.

I also, because I'm fed up of almost burning myself, don't bother with a lot of paper and a long match or firelighter thingy I found a blow torch I haven't used for a while [ it's fine to use just in case someone wants to scaremoneger] and I use that to light the kindling. I'll go back to matches or something when it's empty, but it's great for now.

Doveling wrote: »
    -taff - thank you so much for pointing out that I had written askance instead of asking. That was really useful. Just not sure to whom.

:)
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure