PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two

Options

Comments

• Florence_J
    Florence_J Posts: 1,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    There was some shopping done on Thursday as we needed milk and I decided to do my usual Saturday top up shop then to try and gain a NSD today (didn't happen)

IN

Carrots, Rice, Potatoes, Milk, Cheese, Bread, Bananas, Frozen Onion, Orange Juice and Cucumber

Actually had time to do some cooking today.

OUT

Tin of chickpeas, Tin of Kidney Beans, Tin of Chopped tomatoes, packet of frozen pitta breads

Made Hummus and Chilli.

It may not seem like much but using 3 tins from my tin collection has given me a nice psychological boost.
    Debt Free Stage 1 - Completed 27/08/2020
    Debt Free Stage 2 - Completed 50/181 Payments
  • K9sandFelines
    K9sandFelines Posts: 2,570 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    edited 12 February 2017 at 9:08AM
    Options
    Hi Jensfeet Hope you see this, as I thought I had quoted you.

Yes it's the same place. I didnt think anyone else was round these parts on here, let alone into Old style moineysaving or on the same thread, so it's a very small world. Espcecially as back in September I mentioned the b and m online somewhere else and they popped up saying they were from here too, and vegan. What are the chance !?

How are doing depleting your stock? I need to figure out when I last posted, and update.

Zafiro Horrible thing to have happened. Some people just don't think.
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £118.89 April £
    Forever learning the art of frugality
  • Ginmonster
    Options
    I used up some tins too yesterday. I made peach and chickpea curry for family lunch which we had with hm naan from the freezer. Feeling like I'm making progress. I saw someone suggest on another thread making an inventory of cupboards, fridge and freezer on a spreadsheet so you know exactly what you have of everything and don't buy things you already have. I might give it a try although it'll be a monster task to set up to begin with.

No new groceries in but we did have a planned meal out (curry again !) in the evening as we had a babysitter booked.
  • K9sandFelines
    Options
    Save_Dosh wrote: »
    I too would love your seitan recipe. I have made it before, but didn't have the proper flour, so ended up making my own, which blocked up the sinks - was a nightmare. I will buy the proper flour this .

I will have a look at the proper one I used last time for you SaveDosh, as this one I tweaked and didn't stick to recipe to make a mental note of what went in. Did someone else want it aswell, I apologise if so but cannot find who.
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £118.89 April £
  • K9sandFelines
    K9sandFelines Posts: 2,570 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    edited 12 February 2017 at 2:16PM
    Options
    Ginmonster wrote: »
    I used up some tins too yesterday. I made peach and chickpea curry for family lunch which we had with hm naan from the freezer. Feeling like I'm making progress. I saw someone suggest on another thread making an inventory of cupboards, fridge and freezer on a spreadsheet so you know exactly what you have of everything and don't buy things you already have. I might give it a try although it'll be a monster task to set up to begin with.

No new groceries in but we did have a planned meal out (curry again !) in the evening as we had a babysitter booked.

I put mine in a big A4 book and have three freezers. I cross off as it gets used and then rewrite when it gets messy. There's also an app called freezer manager.I am thinking of duplicating the list to.
  • Ginmonster
    Options
    Hi K9sandfelines

It was me that was interested in the seitan recipe too. I'm a veggie that's trying to eat more vegan so it's always good to have new things to experiment with.

I don't think I could keep a notebook inventory at the moment as I'm not sure one exists that's big enough for the amount of different stuff I have in my cupboards (and stashed under the stairs)! It'll have to be a spreadsheet or an app for me.
  • zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Out
    1 portion HM artichoke soup - lunch DH
    1 Portion HM tomato soup - lunch for me
    portion of puff pastry - eccles cakes - lunch
    6 x lambs hearts to make 3 meals, one for today and 2 to freeze. daughter went to her own butcher and got them for £2 as it was the end of the day.

IN
    Remains of takeaway from last night (I really shouldn't have been so weak willed and bought it, I could have done more with the £17+ it cost)

Did an online shop for delivery tomorrow, I like to stick to as close to £25 as possible so decided to check one particular cupboard in the kitchen as I thought I had some Worcester sauce which was on my list. It had fallen over, it was new and unopened, also found some soup mix I didn't know I had. Doesn't say a lot for the state of the cupboards!!:o
  • Frogletina
    Frogletina Posts: 3,888 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I will have a look at the proper one I used last time for you SaveDosh, as this one I tweaked and didn't stick to recipe to make a mental note of what went in. Did someone else want it aswell, I apologise if so but cannot find who.

That was me as well, K9sandFelines. :)

frogletina
    Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman
    The heart asks for pleasure first
    SPC 8 £1567.31 SPC 9 £1014.64 SPC 10 # £1164.13 SPC 11 £1598.15 SPC 12 # £994.67 SPC 13 £962.54 SPC 14 £1154.79 SPC15 £715.38 SPC16 £1071.81⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐Declutter thread - ⭐⭐🏅
  • JensFeet
    Options
    Hi Jensfeet Hope you see this, as I thought I had quoted you.

Yes it's the same place. I didnt think anyone else was round these parts on here, let alone into Old style moineysaving or on the same thread, so it's a very small world. Espcecially as back in September I mentioned the b and m online somewhere else and they popped up saying they were from here too, and vegan. What are the chance !?

How are doing depleting your stock? I need to figure out when I last posted, and update.

:wave::wave: Wow yes what a really small world K9sandFelines!! It's great that there are similar people around (although I'm not a vegan) as I think the old style way of living was always more of a sense of community and safety within that sense. I am only a newbie to posting on here but have always been careful with money - but since I lost my job because of illness last year I've gone really 'old style'... Sure my family think I've lost the plot but so many other things that we need to spend money on so why waste it? They're slowly realising that I'm not for budging on it either...

We only moved to this town in summer last year from the Scottish Highlands via Manchester and we love it so much already. We feel uber lucky with our house and how there's a real sense of peace and countryside yet we're basically set back from a main road and have shops and services right here on our doorstep. The kids have settled well and they keep on and on and on about us getting another dog - our labrador passed on in July 2014 (aged 13.5 years) but I still miss him and expect to see him at times. So I'm not sure I could lose another pet as they're so very much part of the family. I take it from your username that you have dog(s)? I'm scared of cats! (Pathetic I know).

I'm finding that posting on this thread and the grocery challenge is really making me think carefully about what we are using, buying, storing and wasting. I previously thought we didn't waste very much but now can see I've been kidding myself about this. So a really enjoyable learning experience. How about you? I love reading folks' updates and am constantly off to google what things mean (e.g. the seitan recipe you made!) and I really enjoy that sense of community and understanding that these threads offer.
    dannie wrote: »
    No food groceries purchased since my last update (8/2/17). I have been in local (food) shops and despite their reductions, I was not interested in getting anything.

Yesterday felt good as I bought a (non-edible) item from the local charity shop which was only 50p. This was needed by somebody so gave it to them as a present. It seemed more pleasing than buying more food!

Dannie that must have been 2 really empowering experiences! I don't think I have ever walked into a shop and walked out without buying anything - one of my biggest problems I think. You must be really disciplined. Any tips?

OUT: 4 sukuk (F), halloumi (Fr), salad, tatties, tin tomato soup, sausage rolls (F), my leftover bacon and brie from tea the night before, mince beef (F) for lasagne tonight plus all else for this from stores, flour, eggs, milk for pancakes this morning for us all
    IN: nothing

Had my 7th NSD yesterday and hoping for another today although will be popping out for picking up some compost from Homebase this would not be under my groceries - we must get ourselves sorted with a new composting bin here too. Seems to be a good deal at Homebase and I have reserved 15x 60 litre bags for £2.42 a bag. I was planning to put up a request for horse manure on the local FB group also as I'm starting growing from scratch here and have huge plans. OH has agreed to me using more of the back garden than originally as he wanted to put decking out there - but I'm not a fan plus we have a courtyard which catches the sun late into the evening and is shielded from the wind at the front of the house for patio and bbq weather. We don't have neighbours on that side so would not be overlooked. I also have some front garden space to use but quite a bit is heavily tree covered so can only use the top part. Really excited to get digging underway but not until the weather improves slightly.

My DD wants to bake a cake today and I have everything in so I think it will be a coffee cake in a heart shaped mould! As close to Valentines soppiness as we manage in this house - but it's by choice and I would rather save the ££ for holidays and caravan fridge etc...

Hope you're all having a good weekend and 'enjoying' the very wintery weather. It's snowing here again right now but it's not lying and the wind is blowing an absolute hoolie. Stove is lit and my fluffy dressing gown is on still... Ah yes maybe I best look at getting dressed as I'm still in my pyjamas... Well. It IS Sunday... X
  • Well, hopefully back on track. I have bought a few things, that I was planning to, for using with my bread stock !!!!! and making other meals, i.e. a few dairy free cheeses, spread & mayo, carrots for more stew & coleslaw and I bought some Linda Mc chorizo sausages, not on list, but have been looking out for them for ages, so grabbed.

OUT
    2 x swede & carrot mash
    1 x sweet potato curry
    1 x Linda Mc Pies (yuk, never again)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills