PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Comments

• Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,051
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I would have gone with the olives and crusty bread too Wednesday although bread and me aren't the best of friends anymore I can be led astray by good bread :). Hopefully your coeliac test will come back negative as gluten free bread isn't the same :(

Bad news about the fire Candy :( im assuming it wasn't the part he told you to buy?

I spent 10 minutes looking for my car keys this morning only to realise after I had walked up and down the path that they were in the pocket of what I was wearing yesterday, it's not the first time :cool: and then when I got home tonight I realised that I had left my bedroom light on all day because of it :wall:

Caronc I'm glad I copied your idea for Singapore noodles :D tasty and spicy, LOs of course I know they wouldn't taste so good recycled but I eat late on Wednesday so I don't mind a quick ping meal. Lunch was HM celery soup made from the braised celery, onion and stock I made on Sunday and blended, it's a shame there was just one portion but definitely one I'll do again as with the oven on it was so easy :)
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,114
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    This thread is taking a Flanders & Swann turn, "gas man cometh":D
    No hippopotami please;)

Commiserations CG & PN

I've just had reminder about car insurance, I use comparison sites like a good MSEr, but hate the bother, I've got same due with my leccy as well. At least I've got a car & leccy unlike many in this world

Last night's kippers in bag, I nuked them as per destructions, of course the bag popped, despite not needing piecing, allegedly, and kippery juices sprayed inside of nuker, nicely done as the turntable ensured no part went unsprayed:(

I knew I should've boiled in bag in a pan, that always works, I should've learnt by now

But the mashed king Edward's were superb, as were the grilled wrinkly toms

Breakfast was slightly kipper whiffy porridge, nuked in my kippery kitchen & eaten in attached kipper flavoured dining room:o

Not a fish prospective house sellers

Lunch, very likely a fried egg sarnie for convenience, nothing wrong with cheese etc but need a change

Lamb chop out & defrosting, plan is grill that, with boiled baby spuds, carrots & broccoli, serve with butter & mint sauce
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 13 February 2019 at 10:38AM
    candygirl wrote: »
    ....after 2 weeks faffing about ....

That's the worst bit isn't it. All we want is somebody to set a time, come at that time, know what they're doing and come to a single conclusion and announce the findings, findings which are 100% accurate. No faffing!
    Brambling wrote: »
    I spent 10 minutes looking for my car keys this morning only to realise after I had walked up and down the path that they were in the pocket of what I was wearing yesterday, it's not the first time :cool: and then when I got home tonight I realised that I had left my bedroom light on all day because of it
    I hate that - things you overlook because you're so busy "trying to get it right/find something else".

I spend ages getting the house cleared/clean/tidy for a viewing, lots of little tweaks and movings about of things .... upon returning after one viewing I suddenly realised I'd omitted to hide my fag butt pot from right beside the front door!!! Sooooo angry at myself :)
    Farway wrote: »
    .... of course the bag popped, despite not needing piecing, allegedly, and kippery juices sprayed inside of nuker, nicely done as the turntable ensured no part went unsprayed...

Breakfast was slightly kipper whiffy porridge, nuked in my kippery kitchen & eaten in attached kipper flavoured dining room:o
    Bummer... once you've got a bit of a stink in the house ... it can annoy you for 1-3 days until it's gone.
  • PasturesNew
    Forumite
    edited 13 February 2019 at 10:48AM
    The gas man cometh.

Really? Well, he will allegedly arrive... later. Didn't dare try to pin him down more than the fact he will be arriving at some point.

Can't leave the house until he's been/gone. It's not that I need to leave the house, it's the fact that I can't do it that puts me on edge. There are magical and mythical things my brain dreams up that I could be doing if only I could leave the house :)

One important job is to go and buy some cotton ... proper cotton this time. The last 2-pack I grabbed at £land was like fishing line, plastic/see-through ... and a pig to sew with if you're crouching on the floor trying to hem the hanging curtains :)

Once I have the proper cotton I can hem the curtains quite quickly .... and they need doing as they're longer than the room height, so they've been "dragging" on the floor, which makes it so much harder to "arrange" them correctly for each viewing. Hemming them won't make them aesthetically great while sitting here, but they will make them aesthetically better once I've opened/arranged them to the sides as over-long curtain bottoms "bunch up" horridly.

While going out for cotton .... the food world is my oyster as it's next to 4ldi. OR ... I could just simply use the spuds I've got and do spud/beans/cheese... they do need to be eaten before they sprout.

Also, I'm washing my bra in a bucket .... and I'd have liked to have that rinsed and hanging to dry by now, but as the gas man''s coming I've tucked the bucket away in the downstairs loo for now, until he's gone... :)
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    After getting some diced beef and a chicken ready for Sunday last week and not needing to use them I realised they needed cooking by today. A chicken is in the oven and will be cooked by eleven and when cooled I want to chop it up and freeze it so it can be used to make a recipe another time.

The beef with onions and chestnut mushrooms is in a cast iron pot on the hob and will go in the oven when the chicken is taken out. Once cooled I want to freeze it and use it for a beef and mushroom pie.

I still have mashed potato (substitute as I cook my own usually) and green beans so might portion that up and freeze some so it can be used for a family lunch later.

Also got a substitution of a stew pack which will keep instead of a ready prepared cut up stew veg up so could use that tomorrow and make a stew with some frozen lamb.

Not had any breakfast yet as had to go to sorting office to pick up a parcel so thinking of using up the last rashers of bacon with a couple of eggs and a piece of toast as a brunch.

I think I may have killed my pressure king pro so going to arrange to get it looked at so see if it can be fixed. The six litre one is out of stock but amazon have the five litre one at a tenner cheaper than the official site so worth considering if the warranty is out of date.

Going to have a look at the prepping thread so hugs to all.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,059
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Good afternoon everyone,
    :eek::eek:Farway re the exploding kippers, they are such a lingering smell. I once over nuked a mug of cullen skink which went everywhere. The whiff seemed to last for ages despite cleaning the microwave with lemon & bicarb!
    I was back at the dentist earlier for x-rays. The area where the abscess was is still quite inflamed but my teeth are all sound. She thinks it will settle by itself but wants to wait until next week before replacing a filling and doing a scale & polish to avoid potentially flaring it up.

As I'm not dealing with a numb mouth today lunch will be soup and a ham & coleslaw sarnie. I'm not sure about dinner tonight, I have root veg mash spare from yesterday so might do something with that or might freeze it and make a pasta dish.
  • PasturesNew
    Forumite
    The gas man came and went.... something's failing and it's so expensive he's gone away to get me a quote :(

My inner gummy bits on one side are still "sore/tender", it's not going away ... so maybe I've got some abscess thing or something to worry about. Putting it out of my head for the moment.... currently only worrying about the boiler/what to do/how much he'll say it'll be.

Food .... head's all over the place really, can't think straight with these other things filling my head. I fancy a sausage roll though. I might change sausage rolls.... instead of fresh/chilled in a 6-pack, I might try the 4-pack frozen ones from 4ldi as I've heard they're good/OK... but they do take longer to cook than one I simply re-heat.... decisions, decisions. Not good at those, so maybe I'll just buy chilled today.

Who knows.... not me.

While out ... I have to get cotton .... bags of chocolates are sold in that shop too, so I feel a bag of chocolates will come home with me.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,114
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Oh dear PN, boiler parts don't come cheap, my printed board went, that was gaspingly expensive, that plus labour. The replacement was upgraded version, so IMO the original design was flawed. Bit like Windows 8 I guess;)

Lunch egg sarnie as planned

Sun's out & nicely warm out, did spot of gardening, nothing fancy, clearing buddlia cuttings and trimming back a thorny blackberry

I've yet to prep the veg for tonight

Got waylaid in family history, currently fighting the Battle of Tel el Kibir in 1882 with my GG uncle, I've one of his letters written just after the battle. No wonder he was missing from the 1881 census
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • I had cereal for breakfast and sandwiches and crisps for lunch. I felt very hungry today!

candygirl wrote: »
    Mine's been n finally declared my gas fire dead, after 2 weeks faffing about :mad:

:mad::mad::mad:
    caronc wrote: »
    Wednesday - like you I find fresh bread irrestible:)

Mmm, the smell of bread is gorgeous as well as the smell of chips and vinegar.:drool: I do love my carbs!
    Brambling wrote: »
    I would have gone with the olives and crusty bread too Wednesday although bread and me aren't the best of friends anymore I can be led astray by good bread :). Hopefully your coeliac test will come back negative as gluten free bread isn't the same :(

Actually I might call up and see if the results are in. ETA, not back yet!
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,059
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Good evening everyone,
    Oh no PN re the boiler and the gum ache, hope neither are too expensive to fix. :grouphug:
    I ended feeling pretty off balance this afternoon - probably aftermath of being tilted at the dentist so took myself to my bed for a few legs and thankfully I seem to have got my "sea legs" back as long as I move carefully.:)
    It's turned into a right chilly evening, doubt we'll get frost as it's too cloudy but the wind chill is definitely making it feel decidedly on the cool side.
    I'm going for an easy option for dinner - a small portion of the smoked sausage/beany stew from the freezer with the remaining root veg mash.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback