PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

May 2018 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Merlin's_Beard
    Merlin's_Beard Posts: 1,427 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    £4.17 on a shopping trip that was meant to be for "just milk", and I'm up to £67.29/£100.
    Start mortgage date: August 2022; Start mortgage amount: £240,999; Original mortgage free date: August 2056
    Current mortgage amount: £233.529.75
    Start student loan 2012: £29,750; current student loan: £11.400.50; OP offset fund: £750
  • pamsdish
    pamsdish Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    First spend of May, Aldi £20.46, loads of veg, 1lb butter, odds and sods, and some dessert treats for a lunch invited to tomorrow.
    Do I need it or just want it.
  • pipkin71
    pipkin71 Posts: 21,821 Forumite
    Mum did an M&S shop for me, which came to £81.40. Undecided whether to add this to my grocery budget or not, as I never paid for it.
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
  • Thanks Suffolk lass, some nice suggestons. I would never have thought about the chilli/curries. I guess I could substitute the yoghurt and use in overnight oats, smoothies. You have got me thinking now.
  • zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Because I received a voucher from Mr T today with an £8 off a £40 shop I was just about to do an online shop when I thought 'do I really need anything?' The answer is no, I have enough to last well over the weekend.

The voucher doesn't run out until the 20th, so I'm going to go on mysupermarket.com and try to see how far I can stretch its value and maybe don't do an online shop (to save the delivery charge) but go in store with a strict shopping list - sticking to the list will be a challenge on its own :D
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,663 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    £50 spent at this morning's market; more than I'd hoped, but who could resist fresh Poole Bay crab? Delicious crab with lemon mayo sandwiches for lunch, on fresh sourdough with a handful of rocket & vine tomatoes... because I'm worth it!

Well, I suppose, as extravagant treats go, it's pretty moderate, and two other people also had some, and there's a little left for tomorrow, but if I go over budget this month, it'll all be the crab's fault! Can you tell I'm feeling a little bit guilty...?
    Angie - GC April 24 £367.67/£480: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • Puddleglum
    Puddleglum Posts: 851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Checking in with a spend of £29.40 this week. Next week may be more expensive even budget bustingly expensive as I need to kit myself out with some herbs and spices to make food more exciting.
    "A thousand candles can be lit from a single candle without shortening the life of that candle."

I still am Puddleglum - phew!
  • MadamMim2013
    MadamMim2013 Posts: 887 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Few small spends over last couple of days, will drag out receipts and tally up..
    Fridge is bare:eek:
    Working tomorrow am.. Shopping pm.. Need to get lots of fresh veg n a little fruit too ;)
    "There's a little witch in all of us"🥰
    DEBT FREE 06/2018
    MrsSD 2023 Decluttering Campaign:
    🏅⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Good morning everyone
    have had a couple of trips to the shops this week for bread, milk, fruit etc. Spent another £21+. Total so far about £70+.
    Have plenty of food in freezer but just have to be more disciplined in using it up before I buy fresh. Need to complete another meal plan and stick to it.
    Really beautiful morning here so spirits are up. Time to get busy in the kitchen I think.:)
    Hope you all have a lovely weekend.
  • supersaver1000
    supersaver1000 Posts: 2,465 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Made a Thai Curry on Thursday which I had planned to last Thurs and Friday but there was literally nothing left Thurs eve! Got to stop cooking so well :D (seriously though, I know its not very MSE but it is a great feeling when your creations go down so well they disappear - its a new thing for me, I've always been very much about cooking being as easy as poss :)). So I was all poised to pop back out to the shops yesterday but I was pretty tired so decided it was going to be a meal from the freezer/cupboard evening - so it was another NSD yay!

Going to have to shop later today for dinner tonight and I'm undecided whether to try and shop for the week at the same time and cancel the recurring delivery - as its just the two of us next week. Might be a bit cheaper than having to do a £40 delivery - right meal plan to do.
    OSWL (start 13st) by 30Jun20 6/10
    £1/day Xmas'20-62 £214/£366 saved
    Grocery Challenge Jun £742/£320 spent
    Homeowner wannabe by July 2020 - WooHoo!!
    Starter Emergency Fund £1000/£1000 saved
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport