Can my mother still claim Tax Credits if me and partner move in with her?

thenightqueen
thenightqueen Posts: 8 Forumite
edited 11 May 2018 at 8:29PM in Benefits & tax credits
Hello! I'm new here. :D

Recently, we've decided to leave our rented house after my mum very kindly offered us to move in with her to save for our own house and get rid of our debts quicker by eliminating almost £700 in rent a month! We are obviously very grateful.

I'm just curious, however, will my Mum still be able to claim her Tax Credits if we move in with her? She won't be making any profit from us - we're just making up the difference in bills (so when the water bill goes up, she will still pay the same and we will just pay the rest). She's single and has 3 kids in education. I think she earns less than £25,000 so maybe she gets working tax credits too?

Really, I'm just asking if she will need to update the tax man that we're living there and whether our incomes will affect her tax credits, as we earn around £35,000 between us before tax and everything else.

Thanks in advance! :)

Comments

• Nannytone
    Nannytone Posts: 501 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    How big is her house if she can magic up an extra bedroom for you and your partner ?

Her tax credit claim won't be affected but Housing Benefit and Council Tax support will/B]
  • She's not magic-ing up an extra room. It's going to be a struggle but worth it - although that's not what I'm asking about here.

I'm not sure she gets housing benefit. If her Tax Credits would have been affected we would have just paid her the difference, but just want to know what the score is so she's not overpaid by the gov. or anything.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    How big is her house if she can magic up an extra bedroom for you and your partner ?

What an extraordinary comment!

And how is it relevant to the OP's query?
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    OP, has your mother checked on her Council Tax situation if you move in?

https://www.gov.uk/council-tax/who-has-to-pay
  • I think posters will need to know what benefits your mother is in receipt of (if any) before they can give you any advice, OP. Can you find out?

I used to be Starrystarrynight on MSE, before a log in technical glitch!
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,945 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    She's single and has 3 kids in education.

So likely that she is entitled to single person discount on council tax. with another 2 adults in the property, she would need to contact the council and inform them she is no longer claiming the discount.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Given that your mother is a lone parent on a low income, don't you think the pair of you should fully pay your way in the household?

Surely that's not really anyone's business but my own?
  • silvercar wrote: »
    So likely that she is entitled to single person discount on council tax. with another 2 adults in the property, she would need to contact the council and inform them she is no longer claiming the discount.

My brother leaves college soon, he's 19 in August so we already knew this would happen and have already committed to paying our fair share of it. Sorry, I'm not very good with all tax credits etc. I didn't realise that Council Tax would fall under that category! I think I'll find out exactly what she's entitled to.
  • Please, I'd like no more opinions. I'm just looking for money advice which is why I came to this forum in the first place. I've already asked my close friends and family for opinions who know me and my family personally. I've spoken at length with my mum. She wants to help us save for our own house. She wants us to just match the difference in bills so she's not paying any extra money so we can save as much as we can and be out of her hair sooner. My siblings are not young.
  • Nannytone
    Nannytone Posts: 501 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    xylophone wrote: »
    What an extraordinary comment!

And how is it relevant to the OP's query?

I was just curious. I never said it was relevant ;)

I did answer the question posed by saying that any Housing Benefit and Council Tax support could be affected8
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure