Warning - Currys price promise

I phoned Currys to enquire about a price match on a Sony TV on sale at £629 from Currys, but sold by Amazon at £599. This employee spoke to her manager and informed me that Currys would indeed match the price offered by Amazon as is suggested by the 'price promise' information on their website.

I subsequently bought £600 of Currys gift card though my company to receive the 7% affiliation reward benefit we have access to. I then phoned the sales team again to complete the purchase and spoke to another Currys employees who informed me that Currys would in fact not match Amazons price as they do not offer the same 5-year guarantee that Currys offer. I informed them that I had spoken to one of his colleagues the previous day, who had explicitly told me that Currys would match this price. But, he told me that he would not provide a price match and suggested it was my fault for leaving it a day before phoning back up 'as prices and offers change daily' (neither Amazon or Currys prices/offers had changed), and offered to put me through to the complaints department.

I then spoke to another of Currys employees within the complaints department, who then offered to provide the price match for me, but only after I completed the purchase of the product allowing him to reimburse me the difference. I did so, but was then told that the difference would be paid almost entirely back onto the gift card, so I still spent £629 instead of the £599 that I was promised. I subsequently cancelled the order, but am now waiting for £600 worth of gift card to be posted to me.

Be warned, Currys appear to not want to honour their price promise and don't seem to have consistency throughout their customer service.

Comments

• codger
    codger Posts: 2,079 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Currys is not a business to be trusted. It was recently slammed by the regukator for charging customers to install a Windows OS on the laptops they bought, when in fact, the laptops came from the manufacturer with the OS already installed. Currys explanation? A misunderstanding must've occurred somewhere. Yeah. Right. Funny, over the many years, how Currys' customers are always at the centre of the company's innocent. . . misunderstandings.

It was such a shame that Comet went down. It left the field clear for Currys / Dixons / Carphones Warehouse to screw the public time and time again.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,718 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 8 April 2018 at 8:41PM
    bm92 wrote: »
    I phoned Currys to enquire about a price match on a Sony TV on sale at £629 from Currys, but sold by Amazon at £599. This employee spoke to her manager and informed me that Currys would indeed match the price offered by Amazon as is suggested by the 'price promise' information on their website.

I subsequently bought £600 of Currys gift card though my company to receive the 7% affiliation reward benefit we have access to. I then phoned the sales team again to complete the purchase and spoke to another Currys employees who informed me that Currys would in fact not match Amazons price as they do not offer the same 5-year guarantee that Currys offer. I informed them that I had spoken to one of his colleagues the previous day, who had explicitly told me that Currys would match this price. But, he told me that he would not provide a price match and suggested it was my fault for leaving it a day before phoning back up 'as prices and offers change daily' (neither Amazon or Currys prices/offers had changed), and offered to put me through to the complaints department.

I then spoke to another of Currys employees within the complaints department, who then offered to provide the price match for me, but only after I completed the purchase of the product allowing him to reimburse me the difference. I did so, but was then told that the difference would be paid almost entirely back onto the gift card, so I still spent £629 instead of the £599 that I was promised. I subsequently cancelled the order, but am now waiting for £600 worth of gift card to be posted to me.

Be warned, Currys appear to not want to honour their price promise and don't seem to have consistency throughout their customer service.

So you've now got £600 of vouchers that you no longer need? Wouldn't it have been better to take the refund onto the card to use another time?
    I'm surprised they agreed to price match Amazon in the first place. Usually the match is against other stores in a specific radius.
    Their terms and conditions do say "The competitor!!!8217;s item must be brand new, identical to ours, and offered on the same terms." so the extended warranty may well affect that. Did you tell the first person you spoke to that the deal was not identical?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    codger wrote: »
    Currys is not a business to be trusted. It was recently slammed by the regukator for charging customers to install a Windows OS on the laptops they bought, when in fact, the laptops came from the manufacturer with the OS already installed. Currys explanation? A misunderstanding must've occurred somewhere. Yeah. Right. Funny, over the many years, how Currys' customers are always at the centre of the company's innocent. . . misunderstandings.

It was such a shame that Comet went down. It left the field clear for Currys / Dixons / Carphones Warehouse to screw the public time and time again.

Have you got a source with details for that?.

I know they try and charge extra to "setup" the laptop but I havn't heard of them charging to actually install Windows!!!
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Richer Sounds price promise to undercut any deal over a certain price (otherwise match) has to be on like for like ie same length warranty, in stock and either include (once next day) delivery or be within 50miles of the shop, as they offer shop pick up.

They clearly state this on their website.
  • coldjim
    coldjim Posts: 45 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Sorry to bring up an old post. but did you ever resolve this? Had the same thing just happen to me on a camera lense. One person said they could do it, i then went and bought vouchers, and then came to pay and was told I couldn't price match it as its an 'online item only'. But the price match page is still there on the site along with comparisons to amazon etc! its a joke. I am now stuck with vouchers I no longer want
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    I suppose the pertinent question is ... why did YOU buy vouchers in order to make the purchase? Was there an incentive to use vouchers?
  • Raxiel
    Raxiel Posts: 1,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    DoaM wrote: »
    I suppose the pertinent question is ... why did YOU buy vouchers in order to make the purchase? Was there an incentive to use vouchers?

7% affiliation reward it says.

My own credit card company allow me to purchase £100 curry's vouchers for £90 'worth' of reward points, (or £10 for £7.50 but you're only allowed one of them every 6 months).

I very nearly did the same thing to buy a TV from them last year until a salesman actually talked me out of buying the TV I wanted (trashing it in what I can only assume was a lead up to an extended warranty) and pushed me to look further afield where I found the same* set cheaper at Richer sounds, so I guess he did me a favour

*It was the same spec on paper beyond some meaningless jargon, but Currys being the major retailer that they are can get the manufacturer to produce a 'Currys only' SKU to avoid having to price match.
    3.6 kW PV in the Midlands - 9x Sharp 400W black panels - 6x facing SE and 3x facing SW, Solaredge Optimisers and Inverter. 400W Derril Water (one day). Octopus Flux
  • The 7% reward was from another poster years ago - how do you know they!!!8217;re on the same deal? :)
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,162 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Buying vouchers is always a dodgy ploy; I've just been caught out buying something from Amazon and buying a £25 voucher towards it for an extra £5 credit, except I returned the item and now have £30 of vouchers I need to spend.

In general, bricks & mortar companies don't tend to match online deals, so I'd tend to be wary of a salesperson saying they would match.

The "like-for-like" stipulation in price matches is also something to be wary of; Currys (and other shops) often have their own specific model (especially white goods), which you can't get elsewhere, and/or warranty variations which make their item unique.
  • takman wrote: »
    Have you got a source with details for that?.

I know they try and charge extra to "setup" the laptop but I havn't heard of them charging to actually install Windows!!!

I hadn't heard about this but it does strike me as being something of a misunderstanding... Historically computers used to come with a CD with the operating system on it, allowing you to re-install it should you need to completely re-format your machine for some reason. Nowadays the vast majority of modern computers don't even have a CD drive, and the OS has to be backed up onto a memory stick to create a recovery media in case it gets lost (re-buying a copy of Windows is in excess of £100 I believe). I imagine that Currys offers creating this backup as a service for customers who otherwise wouldn't have the time/knowledge to do this sort of thing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure