Spoilt wedding Cake

Comments

• SuperHan
    SuperHan Posts: 2,269
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Normally I would agree you had your cake and ate it, but playing devil's advocate here I'd suggest the OP didn't buy the cake for people to eat.

I could buy a cake to feed people for significantly less than £300 (obviously depending on how many people) - so what was the OP paying extra for? The aesthetics and photo opportunity I would imagine.

On that basis, the OP should consider how cheaply they could have got a decent cake to feed the same number of people. It would not be unreasonable to ask the baker for a refund of the difference given that it would have been the baker's responsibility to delivery an aesthetically pleasing cake.

It may be however that the difference is just £80, in which case the offer would be reasonable.
  • evherkes
    evherkes Posts: 81
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thanks for your replies. My husband wants the whole lot back because he saw it as a "big part" of the day, I on the other hand felt half would be justifiable as we did eat what was saved but no-one saw it before. I cannot upload pictures as work computers ban photo sharing sites. It was horrific but the outer icing had cracks and was misshapen all the way around and the bottom tier looked like it had been trodden on!

The baker only bakes cakes, an at home business with food safety and the ratings etc.

The flavours were written on the invoice which we paid by bank transfer and the tasting we had, had actual pieces of raspberry in it and chocolate chips (a bit like a cookie or muffin) but the bottom tier (or what the venue kept) although squashed, had not a single piece of raspberry in it, grated the white choc chips may have "melted" although it was not that hot, and raspberries do not melt and turn invisible in the heat so that is inexplicable.

I'm going to reason with the husband with asking for half in the hope she will accept at least £100 which we can put towards some of the costs of our day...
    Emily :A
  • angryparcel
    angryparcel Posts: 926 Forumite
    evherkes wrote: »
    Thanks for your replies. My husband wants the whole lot back because he saw it as a "big part" of the day, I on the other hand felt half would be justifiable as we did eat what was saved but no-one saw it before. I cannot upload pictures as work computers ban photo sharing sites. It was horrific but the outer icing had cracks and was misshapen all the way around and the bottom tier looked like it had been trodden on!

The baker only bakes cakes, an at home business with food safety and the ratings etc.

The flavours were written on the invoice which we paid by bank transfer and the tasting we had, had actual pieces of raspberry in it and chocolate chips (a bit like a cookie or muffin) but the bottom tier (or what the venue kept) although squashed, had not a single piece of raspberry in it, grated the white choc chips may have "melted" although it was not that hot, and raspberries do not melt and turn invisible in the heat so that is inexplicable.

I'm going to reason with the husband with asking for half in the hope she will accept at least £100 which we can put towards some of the costs of our day...
    can i ask why did you open 2 threads on this, were you hoping people would tell you what you wanted to hear and when they never did on the other thread you started this one thinking it would be different.
  • powerful_Rogue
    powerful_Rogue Posts: 7,469
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Cake doesn't look no-where near as bad as you describe!

http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/forum/general-chat/spoilt-cake/441237.html
  • angryparcel
    angryparcel Posts: 926 Forumite

I agree, they way OP describes is the cake collapsed, all i see is it slightly leaning and the icing broke around where the supports were inserted.
  • LABMAN
    LABMAN Posts: 1,659
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite

It's not that bad. OP take the £80 and move on!
  • powerful_Rogue
    Forumite
    Some of the replies on the wedding forum made me chuckle! Talk of a full refund and compensation for damages! :rotfl:
  • powerful_Rogue
    Forumite
    can i ask why did you open 2 threads on this, were you hoping people would tell you what you wanted to hear and when they never did on the other thread you started this one thinking it would be different.

Don't forget the 3rd thread because the OP didn't like peoples responses!

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5665001
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 16 June 2017 at 11:55AM
    I cannot upload pictures as work computers ban photo sharing sites.

Yet you managed to post pictures on this webpage yesterday afternoon.

Over there you said "My husband suggested £100 but I kind of don't feel that's enough!".

But above you say...
    My husband wants the whole lot back because he saw it as a "big part" of the day, I on the other hand felt half would be justifiable as we did eat what was saved but no-one saw it before.
    Followed by...
    Make up your mind.

Who exactly is fighting for more and who is being reasonable?
  • OlliesDad
    OlliesDad Posts: 1,825 Forumite
    I agree, they way OP describes is the cake collapsed, all i see is it slightly leaning and the icing broke around where the supports were inserted.

But is it worth £220? I would suggest not.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure