On the road to freedom..

Options
Hello everyone!

I finally did it! After saving up for many years on my own, I finally have my own home. This has been a dream of mine for many many years.

Just 8 years ago I was jobless, miserable, and in debt. I had a lightbulb moment and decided to change my life for the better. I got myself a good job, cleared all of my debts and started to save, with the aim of buying a house and then paying off the mortgage.

At the beginning of this month I completed on my very own home. My first payment came out he bank yesterday and today I made my first overpayment. My plan is to overpay as much as possible every month. I would like to have a more S.M.A.R.T target with regards to overpaying but if I'm honest I can't really figure out the overpayment calculator, or even how to make a chart that I can colour in :rotfl:

My mortgage is £112500 at 2.84% fixed for two years. There is also a fee added on to this of £300. Shall I pay this fee off to make it easier to work out?

Anyway, I'm going to concentrate my efforts on overpaying and keep track of my progress by rambling away on here. Hope I haven't bored you too much. Wish me luck :j
"Nothing is permanent in this wicked world, not even our troubles".

Comments

• freshcotton
    freshcotton Posts: 223 Forumite
    Options
    Well done on the purchase! Homeownership is a great feeling.

mortgage overpayment calculators are pretty straightforward, have you tried the one on the MSE website? Iv spent many hours on that.
    Mortgage Start - August 2013 £145,000 ************ Balance at April 2017 - £59,000

Target - Overpay by £2,500 each month ************** Mortgage free by December 2018!
  • edwink
    edwink Posts: 2,968 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 16 March 2017 at 7:55AM
    Options
    Well done to you. Wishing you the very best of luck.

We paid off our mortgage bit by bit and being mortgage free is a wonderful feeling because we are no longer having to worry if we make the payments on time etc. We threw every penny we had at it and finally it was gone. Best feeling in the world when you finally get there.

Do you know how much you can overpay per month/year? Some lenders only allow up to 10% of what you owe per year. Might be worth checking if you don't actually know how much you can overpay. Our mortgage was a repayment and wasn't fixed so we could overpay what we could afford.

Keep up the good work. I shall be following you on your mortgage free journey. Good luck

Edwink
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • Swash
    Swash Posts: 209 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks Edwink and Freshcotton. I can overpay 10% per year a it is fixed for 2 years. I will have a go at the overpayment calculator. I'm hoping to pay at least £200 per month extra onto my mortgage, but I'm leaving my job at the end of the year so I also need to save some money just in case.

It's a little daunting having triple figures so at the minute my first goal is to get into double figures. Is it sad that I'm excited to start? :)
  • freshcotton
    freshcotton Posts: 223 Forumite
    Options
    Excited? Wait till you play around with the mortgage calculator and work out the interest saved, that's the real exciting bit.
    Mortgage Start - August 2013 £145,000 ************ Balance at April 2017 - £59,000

Target - Overpay by £2,500 each month ************** Mortgage free by December 2018!
  • Swash
    Options
    Hello everyone. I haven't posted for a little while because I've been moving into my new home and decorating. I still have a long way to go but I guess I'll have to be patient. As you can imagine, this month has been tight for money due to buying furniture etc.

I'm hoping to overpay £200 next month. I also need to save up a decent emergency fund as I am changing jobs at the end of the year so I need some savings just in case I can't start work straight away. 2 days until pay day!
  • Swash
    Options
    Hey everyone!
    So, payday has come and gone, I managed to overpay £200 this month so I'm happy with that. I did get £500 cash back that my solicitor has been hoarding for 6 weeks so I may still pay more towards the mortgage. It's sat in savings at the minute.

I still need to get used to not having as much money in the bank, as my money was my house deposit. So I still feel like I'm skint even though I have quite a bit of savings still in the bank. I guess I'll have to get used to it!

Hope everyone had a great Easter x
  • Kittenkirst
    Kittenkirst Posts: 2,563 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi Swash, is the house starting to feel like home yet?

£200 is a great start for overpayments, well done!

Have you looked at doing a statement of affairs to look at where you could make savings with your budget? I found that a fab way to understand my income & expenditure :D

Best of luck with your mortgage free quest!
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • Swash
    Options
    Hi Kittenkirst! It does feel like home but still got loads to do. Going to spend the weekend painting I think. Can't wait to have it finished, it just takes time I suppose.

I would like to do an SOA but I really have no idea how much I spend on anything - I know it's bad. Now you've mentioned it I'm going to try and keep a spending diary so I can start to see what I spend. Also, I'm new to all the bills coming out of my account so hopefully in a few weeks I will have them all in order.

In overpayment news... I have overplayed £400 this month, so that's a total of £623.57 in overpayments in 3 months of having the mortgage. I already feel like I'm getting addicted to overpaying, I just can't wait to get rid of it.

I had a holiday for a few days at the end of last month too so I'm not completely stopping having a life to overpay. I think balance is key.

So, my total mortgage at 23/2/17 was £112,797. Today it stands at £111,130.33. I really need to figure out how to make one of those charts where I can colour in the bricks :rotfl:

Hope everyone has had a great weekend :o
  • SuperSecretSquirrel
    Options
    You're off to a great start Swash, well done! :)
  • LadyGnome
    LadyGnome Posts: 801 Forumite
    Options
    Great start and well done for starting as soon as you got the house. You will be out of triple figures before you know it.
    MortgageStart Nov 2012 £310,000
    Oct 2022 £143,277.74
    Reduction £166,722.26
    OriginalEnd Sept 2034 / Current official end Apr 2032 (but I have a cunning plan...)
    2022 MFW #78 £10200/£12000
    MFiT-6 #28 £21,772 /£75000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family