Cifas - can I get ANY credit?

andyf777
andyf777 Posts: 16 Forumite
edited 31 March 2015 at 8:26PM in Credit file & ratings
So to cut a very long story short, I have a cifas cat 4 marker against my name. I wont bore you with the details but it has been on for 3'years and causing me servere stress. I keep getting declined for even something as basic as a basic bank account.

Does anyone know if and who will give me some form of credit to help build my credit file, and to help my finances look better?

Please note my credit score is 900, never missed any payments, have a credit card, bank account and mobile phone accounts etc (all opened before the cifas)

Anyone else in the same boat that can shed some light?!

Many thanks

Comments

• jimmy*c
    jimmy*c Posts: 181 Forumite
    If you already have a credit card, use that for your regular monthly spend and pay it off in full at statement date - That's about the best you can do really, as well as keeping up with phone contracts etc. It takes time. Can't really comment on the CIFAS.
  • Ed-1
    Ed-1 Posts: 3,867
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    andyf777 wrote: »
    So to cut a. Ery long story short, I have a cifas cat 4 marker against my name. I wont bore you with the details but it has been on for 3'years and causing me servere stress. I keep getting declined for efen something as basic as a basic bank account.

Does anyone know if and who will give me some form of credit to help build my credit file, and to help my finances look better?

Please note my credit score is 900, never missed any payments, have a credit card, bank account and mobile phone accounts etc (all opened before the cifas)

Anyone else in the same boat that can shed some light?!

Many thanks

Which bank is your credit card and current account with? Make sure you don't apply for a new account with them whatever you do as if they see the CIFAS flag they're bound to close the accounts you've got.

Unfortunately you just need to 'sit it out' until CIFAS is removed.
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Forumite
    edited 31 March 2015 at 8:10PM
    C.I.F.A.S:
    This is a system that records elements of fraud and is primarily used by lenders, insurers and/or employers ultimately to prevent fraud taking place. There are different CIFAS markers, each having its own unique affect on your credit file. For instance a Cat '0' is classed as Protective Registration and would have no effect (it was requested by you). A Cat 4 (application fraud) entry would be classed as adverse in the eyes of other lenders.

CIFAS data can be either stored on your credit file or be 'hidden from view' in which case you have to send in a SAR Request, with £10, to CIFAS in order to view the data. Click here for additional details such as case studies and to see the CIFAS website.

• How long does the data remain?
    CIFAS usually remains for 13 months from date of registration and can only be removed by the lender; or by the CRA after the 13 month period has elapsed if the lender authorised it. However, the marker can remain indefinitely if the lender that registered the marker believes fraud is still continuing. The lender can also extend a CIFAS marker at any time.

Can you not write to the lender who applied the marker in the first place to remove it?

https://www.payplan.com/debt_questions/debt_forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=126103
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    It doesn't matter what your credit score is, its meaningless.
  • Ed-1
    Forumite
    Candyapple wrote: »

[/LIST]

Can you not write to the lender who applied the marker in the first place to remove it?

https://www.payplan.com/debt_questions/debt_forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=126103

From 1 January 2012, a fraud will remain on the CIFAS database for up to six years.
  • andyf777
    Thanks the the input guys, my account is with natwest and i learnt the hard way not t apply for anything else within their group as that happened with lloyds and they closed my account.

The 13 month period no longer applies, it is now 6 years annoyingly.

Inhave tried tirelessly to have it removed but they wont budge, basically a dodgy mortgage broker lied about my income (without my knowledge) but he has dissapeared so im stuck with it.

Anyone else had any luck obtaining credit from anywhere with a cifas?
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Forumite
    Blimey, 6 years! :eek:

In that case, if you're halfway through your "sentence" then I guess you'll just have to wait it out.

I've read nunmerous threads about CIFAS markers, but none where anyone successfully managed to obtain credit whilst the markers were still showing.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • andyf777
    Candyapple wrote: »
    Blimey, 6 years! :eek:

In that case, if you're halfway through your "sentence" then I guess you'll just have to wait it out.

I've read nunmerous threads about CIFAS markers, but none where anyone successfully managed to obtain credit whilst the markers were still showing.

I know, i would honestly rather have numerous defaults and ccj's than this cifas marker. It makes my life so hard, i have had numerous banks closed, including my business account. Ive been refused for so many things. Although i did manage to get a Sky account :rotfl:

Honestly, it is HELL,
  • Ed-1
    Forumite
    andyf777 wrote: »
    Thanks the the input guys, my account is with natwest and i learnt the hard way not t apply for anything else within their group as that happened with lloyds and they closed my account.

The 13 month period no longer applies, it is now 6 years annoyingly.

Inhave tried tirelessly to have it removed but they wont budge, basically a dodgy mortgage broker lied about my income (without my knowledge) but he has dissapeared so im stuck with it.

Anyone else had any luck obtaining credit from anywhere with a cifas?

Who gave you the CIFAS marker in the first place?

What happened with the Lloyds closure? e.g. did you have a Lloyds account and applied for one with Halifax and as they are part of the same banking group they closed the Lloyds account after they checked CIFAS?

Honestly, the only way to get credit with a CIFAS marker against you is with someone who isn't a CIFAS member (which are few and far between):

https://www.cifas.org.uk/cifas_members
  • andyf777
    Ed-1 wrote: »
    Who gave you the CIFAS marker in the first place?

What happened with the Lloyds closure? e.g. did you have a Lloyds account and applied for one with Halifax and as they are part of the same banking group they closed the Lloyds account after they checked CIFAS?

Honestly, the only way to get credit with a CIFAS marker against you is with someone who isn't a CIFAS member (which are few and far between):

https://www.cifas.org.uk/cifas_members

It was YBS that gave me the marker.

Basically i had 2 lloyds accounts, then applied for a savings account. It got accepted then i got a letter statng all my accounts have been closed.
    They must of seen the cifas when credit checking me for the new account. Big mistake of mine!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure