Leaving car engine running

Options
geek84
geek84 Posts: 1,104 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
Hi Folks

Every morning someone in our street leaves their car engine running for about 10 minutes. I think he/she does that in order to warm up the car, but it is very annoying.

Aren't there any laws stating you can't do that?

Thanks

Comments

• unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Possibly icon a public highway but probably not on a drive.

However if an offence your problem will be together somebody there in time to evidence it and take action.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It is an offence to leave a car on the street with the engine running unattended, the fine is £30. However if it is on their own property they can do what they like.

However whilst you could report it to the Police I expect they've got more important things to be attending so don't expect them to turn up before they've left.

Anyway I don't see how it is annoying. At this time your windows are shut and double glazing will block out the noise. I bet you do things that annoy them such as mowing your lawn on a weekend morning when they're trying to get a lie in.
  • Warwick_Hunt
    Warwick_Hunt Posts: 1,179 Forumite
    Options
    Tarambor wrote: »
    It is an offence to leave a car on the street with the engine running unattended, the fine is £30. However if it is on their own property they can do what they like.

However whilst you could report it to the Police I expect they've got more important things to be attending so don't expect them to turn up before they've left.

Anyway I don't see how it is annoying. At this time your windows are shut and double glazing will block out the noise. I bet you do things that annoy them such as mowing your lawn on a weekend morning when they're trying to get a lie in.

Is it? Fixed penalty notices are £50.
  • Richard53
    Richard53 Posts: 3,173 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    As said above, only illegal on a public road. I'd say warming up your car on your own driveway is not unreasonable, but the person needs to be aware that if they leave the car unattended and it is stolen, they are unlikely to get any payout from their insurers.
    If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,521 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    You can also be fined under Environment legislation wherever the car is parked, even a private drive.
  • boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I....
    Anyway I don't see how it is annoying. At this time your windows are shut and double glazing will block out the noise. .......

I normally shut the window when I get up but would not want a closed window when I'm trying to sleep unless it's very windy.
  • Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    daveyjp wrote: »
    You can also be fined under Environment legislation wherever the car is parked, even a private drive.

In a couple of London boroughs.
  • George_Michael
    Options
    Is it? Fixed penalty notices are £50.

It's actually £20 for this offence.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2002/1808/regulation/7/made
    Fixed penalty offences

7. Emission offences and stationary idling offences under section 42 of the Road Traffic Act 1988(1) are hereby prescribed as fixed penalty offences for the purposes of these Regulations.
    Amount of penalty

8. Subject to regulation 17, a person may discharge any liability to conviction—

(a) for an emissions offence, subject to regulation 19, on payment of £60;
    (b) for a stationary idling offence, on payment of £20.
  • societys_child
    Options

Anyway I don't see how it is annoying. At this time your windows are shut and double glazing will block out the noise.
    Unless . . . your neighbour has decided a "sports exhaust" sounds so much more exciting and vibrates the foundations of everything within a square mile . . . ;)
  • Warwick_Hunt
    Warwick_Hunt Posts: 1,179 Forumite
    edited 4 February 2018 at 1:06PM
    Options

Yes, £50 for a fixed penalty.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts