Bad builder forum

Comments

• Hi ,interesting to read your Thread on Mark Fittes,wished we had of looked him up first as we have paid him a deposit,but now want to cancel the contract after reading reviews so we dont waste anymore Money, I woud be grateful for anymore info you could give us.
    Regards Lillian
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,549 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    What name is he trading as?

Just checked and Bowmont Home Improvements was Dissolved 16/01/2018
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• IsBa
    IsBa Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 29 September 2018 at 9:37AM
    Do not use PHS Construction Limited

They've ruined our house, our finances, took our money and ran away leaving a complete mess behind them.

director and manager, the project manager, first came across as very professional and passionate about their work. After having seen some of their work sites, we entered into a contract with PHS for a full refurbishment of our house including a loft conversion.

We were asked to pay a deposit and then weekly instalments equal to the full contract amount divided by the number of weeks for the works. Foolishly, we trusted them and started paying but it was only demolition and scaffold - it looked impressive but nothing more. Works started to slow, we were told not to worry, they even asked up to pay more, we went on holidays and when we came back realised that works had stopped for at least 4/6 weeks but we had been asked to continue to pay and nobody at PHS had even informed us that the works had stalled.

We were then told there were cash flow issues and got blackmailed in paying more if we wanted to get the works to progress. Desperate for the works to start again we did so. They then built the roof structure and did the tiling of the roof. The tiling is really bad with tiles are already falling and many other missing, the roof is leaking, the battens are too short and not fixed, flashing is not set properly, and there are dozen of other issues etc.. They then asked for more money apparently for extra costs but without even being able to produce any explanation/evidence of these extra costs.

By this point in time we had paid more than two-third of the contract value. When we refused to pay more, they pretended that they would do more work but instead hired two unskilled guys who did more damage to the house.

After endless promises, when they realised that we were not going to pay more until they completed a large chunk of the works, they finally ran away all blaming each other, leaving us with a leaky roof and many structural problems (for example the windows opening are not even centred in the dormers, steel beams are in the wrong place, etc.). The site is a mess with debris, holes and rubbish everywhere.

They also took all our money.

All the builders than have come since to give us quotes to continue the works concur that PHS can't have spent more on our site more than half of what we actually paid them).

We are talking about 6 figure amounts here!

has never even bothered to get in touch with us to propose a way forward and nobody respond in the office.

In conclusion, their work is highly unprofessional and they are, to say the least, dishonest.

Avoid at all costs!

(Text removed by MSE Forum Team)
  • I am struggling to post a complaint against a plumber and don't know how to post on a thread. Please help
    I was rushing out to go to the hospital and as I was upstairs getting my bag the plumber told me to turn on the plug in the bath and turn on the water. Which I did and said I have to rush as running late. I went downstairs and he followed saying he would be going in 5 minutes and would pull the door shut. I forced a key on him and kept saying " I must Rush or will be late".
    He then left the house the same time as myself. I never thought about tap running neither did he as did and did not now why he asked me to do that.
    Consequently, 4 hours later returned to a flood. A lot of damage. He came round and vacuumed up water and said that it would be put right. Ceiling, wallpaper, piano etc.
    Now he says' Who goes out and leaves the tap running and although he is sorting it out he is asking me to pay. Have already had carpet cleaner and hired a dehumidifier . Had spare wallpaper costing £100 or more. He will not admit to the sequence of events. I have not claimed on Insurance as don't want to lose my cover. What can I do
  • I am so very angry and disappointed with Lee Burns, Cheshire Building and Roofing services Runcorn, they were supposed to build an annexe for my elderly parents 88 & 91 who have dementia in 8-10 weeks, its now week 14, they have walked off the job demanding a new contract with more money upfront, we're not even watertight, I've paid £9000 for a roof that leaks and has no insulation which is going to cost me £3,500 extra as I've already paid it to the sharks, they've put a screed floor on top of partition walls, the boiler now leaks, and needs further pipes, again I've already paid for this, the water pipes for the radiators are incorrect, etc etc etc - I do not know how people like this sleep at night, I write this here so that no-one else has to suffer the nightmare I am going through, I'm also paying £2000 a week for my parents care, and we will be at least 10-12 over the schedule I had budgeted for.
    please avoid this company at all costs!!!
  • LillyLass wrote: »
    Hi ,interesting to read your Thread on Mark Fittes,wished we had of looked him up first as we have paid him a deposit,but now want to cancel the contract after reading reviews so we dont waste anymore Money, I woud be grateful for anymore info you could give us.
    Regards Lillian
    Hi Lillian
    Did you get your deposit back?
    I have sent you a personal message which will be in your forum inbox now.
    Regards
  • Gizzimodo
    Gizzimodo Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 29 September 2018 at 9:41AM
    I have to agree with everything said by IS BA above.

We had a very bad experience with these operators who claimed they went bankrupt (untrue as company is still live) and are now completely uncontactable.

has deftly extricated himself from PHS Construction Ltd in, leaving a trail of unfinished and poor quality work in his wake, and has now re-emerged as Polish-Builder.co.uk with an impressive website.

Don't be fooled. The external render on the front elevation of our house that they undertook was of a very poor standard, and is now falling off in clumps. I've done everything I possibly could do to resolve this in a mutually satisfactory way and am now having to resort to exposing them on public forums such as this, if only to warn others against employing them. AVOID..

(Text removed by MSE Forum Team)
  • Ultra64
    Ultra64 Posts: 24 Forumite
    So, I am about to complete on a new build property. Not only is the development 15 months late, and they have not put in my built in wardrobes that are clearly on the plans...but I went to do the snagging and it looks like it's years old already. I tried contacting the company the developers have their warranty under but they said it's snagging issues and they don't deal with that. So I called NHBC, they said the developers are not registered with them. I don't know where to turn next? I'm not allowed to add pictures as I am new user here.
  • Hello. Can someone advise where to go to have photos looked at.

We have builder work which seems to be very poor but we're not experts and the builder wants more money to finish but what he's done is a bit of a mess.

Please let us know who or where be best....Thanks.
  • letsbehonest
    letsbehonest Posts: 1,098 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    BBC Watchdog is a good place.
    "Imagination is more Important than knowledge"
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business