Cash ISAs: The Best Currently Available List

Comments

• veryintrigued
    veryintrigued Posts: 3,843
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Notts 2.25 Regular saver has now been pulled Kazza.
  • gwapenut
    gwapenut Posts: 1,341
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Virgin Money are now offering 5 years @ 2% with just 180-day penalty
  • 6022tivo
    6022tivo Posts: 769
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I'm being a little simple here.

I currently have two large isas that are instant access at 0.75%

If I transfer in to Virgin at 2% as long as I leave them for at least 12 months, I'm making a better decision?
    EG, if I need the money at 12 months (unlikely) but I will lose 6 months interest, but it would be the equivalent of 1% I suppose over that year??

Keeping it in over the year just makes this 1% increase over time?
    Does this make sense??

Using this logic of accepting the penalty, are there better 5yr 180 days penalty accounts?
  • mhoc
    mhoc Posts: 19,262
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I am facing a similar dilemma as my 4 year ISA is maturing this year - its earning 2.4%, I was very late to the ISA game.

I am going to open a Nationwide flexclusive ISA which is has a miserable 0.75% but at least I can add and withdraw whenever I need money.
    Each month I am going to withdraw enough to feed my collection of regular monthly savings accounts - these pay between 1.7% and 5%
    “Create all the happiness you are able to create; remove all the misery you are able to remove. Every day will allow you, --will invite you to add something to the pleasure of others, --or to diminish something of their pains.”
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310
    Forumite
    edited 2 August 2017 at 11:59AM
    6022tivo wrote: »
    . . . Keeping it in over the year just makes this 1% increase over time?
    Does this make sense?? . . .
    Perfect sense. :cool:

Edit
    It is unlikely, though possible, that interest rates will not stay this low for the next five years so you can do the same estimates for 2yrs, 3yrs, .. etc so you can pick the best time to jump when/if rates improve over time.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • rivergold
    rivergold Posts: 34 Forumite
    6022tivo wrote: »
    I'm being a little simple here.

I currently have two large isas that are instant access at 0.75%

If I transfer in to Virgin at 2% as long as I leave them for at least 12 months, I'm making a better decision?
    EG, if I need the money at 12 months (unlikely) but I will lose 6 months interest, but it would be the equivalent of 1% I suppose over that year??

Keeping it in over the year just makes this 1% increase over time?
    Does this make sense??

Using this logic of accepting the penalty, are there better 5yr 180 days penalty accounts?

Yes this is correct. If you withdraw after a year, you're quids in versus most of the "instant access" options, at a net amount of 1% after penalty. After 2 years, it gives you an average of 1.5% per year.
  • 6022tivo
    6022tivo Posts: 769
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    rivergold wrote: »
    Yes this is correct. If you withdraw after a year, you're quids in versus most of the "instant access" options, at a net amount of 1% after penalty. After 2 years, it gives you an average of 1.5% per year.

I've taken this up and transferred two of my large 0.7 and 0.75 instants in.
    Very simple process using the transfer service, money already in the account after 2 working days.
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Forumite
    I think the 2 year Charter Savings Bank Fixed Rate Cash ISA - 1.41%
    Minimum deposit: £1,000.
    Notes: Fixed for two years from account opening might have been withdrawn - only the 3 year (1.50%) version appears on their website now AFAICS.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • apt
    apt Posts: 3,188
    Forumite
    The Yorkshire Bank/Clydesdale Bank 3 year fix at 2% (min £2,000, max £20,000) is a decent improvement. http://www.ybonline.co.uk/personal/savings/tax-efficient-savings/cash-isa-fixed-rate-bond/
    No cheers for Coventry BS cutting their Loyalty Reward ISA (existing acc holders only) from 1.75% to 1.4% at the end of August.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback