Solar energy - Feed-in Tariff payment delays - your experiences?

Options

Comments

• Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    EricMears wrote: »
    Is that a promise that they can never be used thus or just a comment that E.ON haven't got round to implementing the function - Yet ?

That's the situation as it stands today Eric. This hasn't changed since we started installing smart meters. I've no knowledge of any forthcoming plans to change this.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • pinnks
    pinnks Posts: 1,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Hi Malc,

This is interesting stuff, though the question Z raised is beyond my knowledge of the issue, so I'll leave him to pursue.

When you say not accurate in terms of import I get that completely for use as an export meter for billing purposes but presumably they are as (in)accurate as any other home monitoring kit you can buy like the Owl or immerSUN or whatever.

So, folk who do not have a device of that sort may find it useful to have a smart meter to get a broad feel for their export v import v own use etc?
  • pinnks
    Options
    Malc,

Just thought of another question. What capability do your smart meters have (now or next generation) to export data to spreadsheets/databases and at what level of granularity?
  • orrery
    orrery Posts: 798 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    pinnks wrote: »
    Malc,

Just thought of another question. What capability do your smart meters have (now or next generation) to export data to spreadsheets/databases and at what level of granularity?

The data I was sent from Ecotricity was 30 minutes, in an xls file.
    4kWp, Panels: 16 Hyundai HIS250MG, Inverter: SMA Sunny Boy 4000TLLocation: Bedford, Roof: South East facing, 20 degree pitch20kWh Pylontech US5000 batteries, Lux AC inverter,Skoda Enyaq iV80, TADO Central Heating control
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Hi Malc,

This is interesting stuff, though the question Z raised is beyond my knowledge of the issue, so I'll leave him to pursue.

When you say not accurate in terms of import I get that completely for use as an export meter for billing purposes but presumably they are as (in)accurate as any other home monitoring kit you can buy like the Owl or immerSUN or whatever.

So, folk who do not have a device of that sort may find it useful to have a smart meter to get a broad feel for their export v import v own use etc?
    Malc,

Sorry for the late reply pinnks. Weekend and all that.

Do you mean the In Home Display (IHD)? These come with our smart meters. They collect and display usage information on a screen that can be positioned inside the home. They're accurate as far as imported electricity is concerned. Our latest ones show how much is being used in terms of cost, kWh or CO2 emissions. This can be seen as a daily, weekly, monthly or yearly amount. There are also lights (green/amber/red) that alert customers to how much is being used at a given time. I agree, they can certainly help give customers a broad feel of their energy usage.

At the moment, our smart meters/IHDs don't have the capability to export data to spreadsheets etc. As I mentioned above, our smart meter programme is constantly evolving and this is something that could be possible further down the line.

Hope this helps pinnks.

Malc
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • pinnks
    Options
    Thanks Malc,

Without appearing rude these meter aren't really smart at all. Not the fault any particular provider but my immerSUN diverter and its software which have been on the market for about 3 years measure (inaccurately of course but consistent within the device/app) import, export, diverted, generated and calculate from that the house usage.

The display of instantaneous use/import/generated etc is updated every 15 seconds (some complain that is not frequent enough) and the exportable data (CVS file) is updated each hour. You can export hourly, daily, weekly, monthly or annually.

Seems a bit odd that these marvellous, not hyped at all, smart meters cannot do at least what these other devices can. The question of non-import accuracy for billing is a different one.

Maybe the mark II?
  • orrery
    orrery Posts: 798 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks Malc,
    Without appearing rude these meter aren't really smart at all.....

They show all the signs of being rushed to market. Odd that the customer display on mine (a Secure) doesn't allow me to read the meter. This would have been No 1 on my feature list.

Fundamentally, you need to realise that they allow remote reading of the display by the utility. That is the one and only real requirement - with a few bells and whistles added on with very little thought to sell it to the consumer.
    4kWp, Panels: 16 Hyundai HIS250MG, Inverter: SMA Sunny Boy 4000TLLocation: Bedford, Roof: South East facing, 20 degree pitch20kWh Pylontech US5000 batteries, Lux AC inverter,Skoda Enyaq iV80, TADO Central Heating control
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    zeupater wrote: »
    Hi Malc

Does this mean that the meters which ....
    Hi All

Broken link in above post (#1146) fixed .... Sorry if it caused confusion

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
    Options
    Thanks Malc,

Without appearing rude these meter aren't really smart at all. Not the fault any particular provider but my immerSUN diverter and its software which have been on the market for about 3 years measure (inaccurately of course but consistent within the device/app) import, export, diverted, generated and calculate from that the house usage.

The display of instantaneous use/import/generated etc is updated every 15 seconds (some complain that is not frequent enough) and the exportable data (CVS file) is updated each hour. You can export hourly, daily, weekly, monthly or annually.

Seems a bit odd that these marvellous, not hyped at all, smart meters cannot do at least what these other devices can. The question of non-import accuracy for billing is a different one.

Maybe the mark II?

Not rude at all pinnks. Very valid comments. As above, we're looking to improve the technology we use with our smart programme all the time. Still a way to go but we've dedicated teams working on this. I've passed some of the issues/comments raised on this and other threads to these teams. Our website is a good place to see news of any developments.

Thanks for the suggestions pinnks.

Malc
  • Exiled_Tyke
    Exiled_Tyke Posts: 1,190 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Until today I've been very impressed with E.ON but I received a letter today to tell me that they had been to see my meter last week (strangely it was a day when I was in most of the time so I don't know how I missed them but they left no evidence at the time). The letter goes onto say that they will return in a couple of months 'on or around' a particular date. But it doesn't really matter as I will be at work on-and-around those days so will miss them anyway.

Surely there must be a better way to go about this, than this expensive and antiquated method of turning up unexpectedly, writing and posting letters (surely they have my email address) to tell me they are going to turn up again at some non-specific time?
    Install 28th Nov 15, 3.3kW, (11x300LG), SolarEdge, SW. W Yorks.
    Install 2: Sept 19, 600W SSE
    Solax 6.3kWh battery
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport