Orlando/Disneyworld Thread (Part 3)

Options

Comments

• Marine_Boy
    Options
    I've managed to convince the family (2+2) to take a trip to Orlando next year (probably after UK school holidays, so around mid-late September time). I have a good friend who owns a house out there, so accommodation is covered. I reckon I can get cheap flights and car by doing some Google searching.

But the one thing that I find shocking is the cost of entry to parks. I'm looking at a few days in Disney, a few at Universal and also visiting some of the better water parks. Adding that lot up comes to more than the cost of the holiday! Amazing!

I'd really appreciate any guidance anyone wants to offer on best way and place to buy entry tickets. After a few hours research on the net I still find the subject confusing. So many different variations and prices! Any thoughts gratefully received. Many thanks.
  • rixy74
    rixy74 Posts: 15 Forumite
    edited 29 July 2009 at 2:56PM
    Options
    Hello all we we are a family of 4 with 2 kids aged 11 and 3.

we have booked and paid for everything the villa the park tickets car hire and we have even bought the currancey from crown currancey and got a rate of $1.67, but in dollers we are taking just over $2000 for 2 weeks from the 3rd - 17th sept (only 5 weeks left):j.

I am starting to worry we are not taking enough cash. we dont spend big but we dont want to go on away and then start cooking.

so do yo think we are taking enough cash?

What do most other familys take?

Where should we eat to save money but is good? (We are staying in Kissamee)

is it worth buying a cheep sat nav off ebay? ( A make i have never seen before) but has maps for usa and uk then selling mine :confused:

One last question
    are the parks busy when we go or is it off one ride onto another?

Sorry about all the questions but any help would be great
    Thanks
    Peter;)
  • NoreenOMS
    NoreenOMS Posts: 106 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all, I am due to go to Orlando in September- 1st time.

We plan to do all of the Disney parks & Seaworld- none of the Universal ones due to cost, and wanting to make the most of our Disney tickets. We also plan to do some of the main shopping mails.

My question is based around not wanting to come home thinking, is parks & shopping all there is?

Is there anything else you would recommend us doing in Orlando? (other than something like swimming with Dolphins- husband not that keen).

Also, other than Ponder Rosa & Sizzler, which restaurants are best? (We are staying at Holiday Inn ID)

We are a couple of 25yrs & 33yrs.

Ta muchly!!
    :snow_laug
  • Weggy
    Weggy Posts: 462 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    rixy74 wrote: »
    I am starting to worry we are not taking enough cash. we dont spend big but we dont want to go on away and then start cooking.

Where should we eat to sve money but is good? (We are staying in Kissamee)

What's wrong with a bit of food at home? You barely even need to cook - we sometimes just grab a cooked chicken at Walmart and then do some microwave rice and salad to go with it, or some tortilla wraps. Yes it's nice to eat out but we find also nice to just chill out round the pool, with some easy food and a beer or two...
  • rixy74
    Options
    Hi Weggy

It sounds Geat to me but when i said somthing like that to her in doors the responce went somthing along the lines of "dont think i will be doing the washing up ........................"

2 hrs later after the lecture had finished i said "ok Whats for tea" she didnt see the funny side
  • Mikepcon
    Mikepcon Posts: 75 Forumite
    Options
    NoreenOMS wrote: »
    Hi all, I am due to go to Orlando in September- 1st time.

We plan to do all of the Disney parks & Seaworld- none of the Universal ones due to cost, and wanting to make the most of our Disney tickets. We also plan to do some of the main shopping mails.

My question is based around not wanting to come home thinking, is parks & shopping all there is?

Is there anything else you would recommend us doing in Orlando? (other than something like swimming with Dolphins- husband not that keen).

Also, other than Ponder Rosa & Sizzler, which restaurants are best? (We are staying at Holiday Inn ID)

We are a couple of 25yrs & 33yrs.

Ta muchly!!
    We did similar last time we went. Disney, Busch Gardens and SeaWorld.
    I was disappointed with Busch, but loved all the others and didnt come back thinking "is that all there is". We also went on an airboat ride at Boggy Creek which was great.
    We ate mainly at our Hotel or Ponder Rosa, Wendys and Dennys. All were very good and reasonably priced.

This time we are doing Disney, Universal and Gatorland.
    Universal tickets were only $99 each for a week unlimited.
  • Mikepcon
    Mikepcon Posts: 75 Forumite
    Options
    Hello all we we are a family of 4 with 2 kids aged 11 and 3.

we have booked and paid for everything the villa the park tickets car hire and we have even bought the currancey from crown currancey and got a rate of $1.67, but in dollers we are taking just over $2000 for 2 weeks from the 3rd - 17th sept (only 5 weeks left):j.

Where should we eat to save money but is good? (We are staying in Kissamee)

is it worth buying a cheep sat nav off ebay? ( A make i have never seen before) but has maps for usa and uk then selling mine :confused:

One last question
    are the parks busy when we go or is it off one ride onto another?

Sorry about all the questions but any help would be great
    Thanks
    Peter;)

My kids are older and we are taking $2400 so $2000 should be ok.

Dont know about how busy the parks are when you go (we are going in August), but I would imagine the queues will still be pretty bad. The whole fastpass setup works very well though. Get a fastpass for one ride, go and do a few other things (eg 3d show) and before you know it you can get another fastpass and your first one is ready to use.
    Never quite understood why people would stand in the non-fastpass queues for hours.

As for US maps. I believe on TomTom it may well be possible to get them very cheaply.
  • Weggy
    Weggy Posts: 462 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Weggy

It sounds Geat to me but when i said somthing like that to her in doors the responce went somthing along the lines of "dont think i will be doing the washing up ........................"

2 hrs later after the lecture had finished i said "ok Whats for tea" she didnt see the funny side

LOL excellent!

You're in a villa right? Bound to have a dishwasher... and I dont mean your wife :rotfl:

Walmart also do paper plates, cutlery etc....
  • rixy74
    Options
    I never thought about Paper plates thats brillant idea
  • Trillionaire
    Trillionaire Posts: 372 Forumite
    Options
    I'm using the Brits Guide to Orlando 2009. I borrowed this book from my local library and would recommend it. There's a sizeable section on other things to do besides the theme parks. You can reserve your library books online by the way (just incase someone didn't know).
    :j I hope my comment helps :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport