Taking the first step...

Comments

• honeybear_2
    honeybear_2 Posts: 3,914 Forumite
    misspoppy wrote: »
    Hi

Just one thing, with your rent so high are you sure your council tax is right its really cheap concidering your rent.

It's now on a yearly basis, rather than 10 months, which does make a difference to how it was a few months back.
    @ LBM = £15,872.65, now £10,819.82
    AF Jan = 7/? Feb = 5/14 Mar = 14/20 Apr = 6/14 May = 2/14 June 2/14 July 0/TF Aug 1/TFv Sept 6/TF Oct 4/7
    "NEVER DOUBT YOUR OWN QUALITY"
  • I presume you will also have single person discount so it maybe sounds about right!
    LBM - 30/07/09
    Started DMP in Oct 2009, went wrong. Due to start new DMP in March/April 2013. Bring it on!
    :beer:
  • honeybear_2
    Yep! Just me & lots of plants. Some of the herbs though, which I use in cooking plus the smell is so cheering :)
    AF Jan = 7/? Feb = 5/14 Mar = 14/20 Apr = 6/14 May = 2/14 June 2/14 July 0/TF Aug 1/TFv Sept 6/TF Oct 4/7
  • TMoose
    TMoose Posts: 267 Forumite
    So without *really* trying, you could cut £50 from your groceries, £50 from your presents, clothes to a minimum - so that's another £50, no holiday - another £70... that's £220 pm without moving! That's over £2500 per year. Your overdraft effectively. Without trying!

Now if you want to get serious...
  • Well good luck, get your spending diary done and just look at what you spend over the next few weeks. Try and pay cash, not your visa (apart from work) and you will be able to physically see the money go down!
    LBM - 30/07/09
    Started DMP in Oct 2009, went wrong. Due to start new DMP in March/April 2013. Bring it on!
    :beer:
  • honeybear_2
    TMoose wrote: »
    So without *really* trying, you could cut £50 from your groceries, £50 from your presents, clothes to a minimum - so that's another £50, no holiday - another £70... that's £220 pm without moving! That's over £2500 per year. Your overdraft effectively. Without trying!

Now if you want to get serious...

That's really quite staggering & quite scary to see it broken down like that!

I think i've lived with debt to some degree or another for so long, the idea of even just being out of an overdraft is just mind-blowing :eek:

Have unearthed a notebook I got as a Christmas present & it is now my spending diary. The first thing that will be going in it is milk as I've run out & I really can't manage without.

Off to the shops, thanks again for all the support :)
  • euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 12,247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post PPI Party Pooper
    How close do you need to be to work? Have you looked at some of the towns just outside of London? Like Orpington, Bromley, Sidcup, Dartford etc in Kent and there are plenty more in Essex too.

I know that from Orpington, you can get a fast train into London in 20 minutes and the monthly train cost is around 130 GBP. A one bed place in the area would be 600-700 pcm. Still not cheap, but would still save you at least 340GBP per month!

Something to think about for the future (I understand you are tied in at the moment).
    February wins: Theatre tickets
  • honeybear_2
    Been out & achievd only buying the 2 things I went out for - yay! Have also carefully written them down too! :)

I know where you're coming from, Euronorris, but until I learn to drive it's not a viable option - which is even more expense! But it would pay off in the long-term so it's yet another thing to consider
  • TMoose
    TMoose Posts: 267 Forumite
    The other thing to do is declutter... eBay clothes, stuff and things that you no longer use, need or want... Be ruthless - when I moved I got rid of two bin bags full of clothes I hadn't worn in 18 months, a suitcase full of books (my vice!) and various bits of consumer electronics that I didn't need/want - a little light that attaches to your laptop to illuminate the keyboard???

eBaying stuff can be time consuming, and frustrating, but if you're patient it's a good little earner!

BTW - I'm not patient, and Sue Ryder Care ended up with my stuff!
  • honeybear_2
    I'm not that patient either - lol! I do keep having clearouts but generally stuff ends up going to charity, which of course is a good thing but not a good little earner!

And why on earth did you ever buy a light for your keyboard?!?!?!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport