Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Heth
    How many loads of washing a week?
    • 21st Feb 06, 11:21 AM
    How many loads of washing a week? 21st Feb 06 at 11:21 AM
    I always think my husband and I seem to do loads of washing each week, but maybe this is usual. We've only been living together for a year so still getting used to it. How many loads do other people do a week?
    When I wash the bedding this has to go in two loads as the machine can't cope with the sheet and king size duvet in one load. Also usually end up doing 2 loads of 'dark clothes' at the weekend cos of husbands refereeing kit, and at least one load of lights (his shirts) a week. It just seems the machine is always on...

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Helen; 22-03-2011 at 9:51 PM.
Page 1
  • Glittermonkey
    • 21st Feb 06, 11:23 AM
    • 21st Feb 06, 11:23 AM
    I have a 3 year old and a 15 year old at home and easily i must do about 6-8 loads a week.

My washing basket could be empty but you can be t it will be half full again the next day - i dont know what they find to put in it at times!

GM x
    Lightbulb moment Dec 2005 - debt 23700

June 2010 - 17984.21
  • novice money saver
    • 21st Feb 06, 11:24 AM
    • 21st Feb 06, 11:24 AM
    Hello again Heth!

It feels the same in our house too. It goes on probably once a day and 2-3 times over the weekend.

My OH has a problem with using a tea towel more than once - suppose I should be grateful that he uses one at all - LOL!
    • kiwichick
    • By kiwichick 21st Feb 06, 11:27 AM
    • 1,836 Posts
    • 2,828 Thanks
    kiwichick
    • 21st Feb 06, 11:27 AM
    • 21st Feb 06, 11:27 AM
    If you includue all the bedding/towel/sports kit washes each week then my machine easily does 12-15 washes per week. It did 2 yesterday and I've done 2 today with one more to go. Am SO GLAD to have discovered the soda and capful of liquid trick (thanks TM) as its saving me a fortune!
    WW Start Weight 18/04/12 = 19st 11lbs
    Weight today = 17st 6.5lbs
    Loss to date 32.5lbs!!!
    • lilmisskitkat
    • By lilmisskitkat 21st Feb 06, 11:29 AM
    • 821 Posts
    • 7,144 Thanks
    lilmisskitkat
    • 21st Feb 06, 11:29 AM
    • 21st Feb 06, 11:29 AM
    For myself and my 4yr DD i do one load of bedding a week (one week i do mine, the week after i do DD's), one of towels, one of darks (jeans, my underwear) and 2 of lights (mainly DD's stuff - think major pink and lilac lol)

Sometimes there are things that need washing on a delicate setting (my 'going out' clothes) but i'm trying to handwash them from now on to save having the WM on just for one thing.

Then some weeks if the weather is fine for drying washing i do the throws from the sofa, dressing gowns, jackets/coats etc.

Kate xxx
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 21st Feb 06, 11:40 AM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    • 21st Feb 06, 11:40 AM
    • 21st Feb 06, 11:40 AM
    For 2 adults and 3 kids I wash every day except Tuesday - don't know why it's Tuesday,but there never seems to be more than 4 things in the basket on a Tue,so i don't bother.But,for every other day I do at least 2 loads often 3 and sometimes 4.I do towels on Monday,both son's bedding on Wednesday and ours and dd's bedding on Friday.So about 12-15 loads like Kiwichick in fact.I rarely wash pillows and duvets but that is about to change as I feel I've been negligent in this area
  • Heth
    • 21st Feb 06, 11:42 AM
    • 21st Feb 06, 11:42 AM
    Ok, I guess we are fairly normal then
    • bizzy_lizzie
    • By bizzy_lizzie 21st Feb 06, 11:49 AM
    • 203 Posts
    • 144 Thanks
    bizzy_lizzie
    • 21st Feb 06, 11:49 AM
    • 21st Feb 06, 11:49 AM
    6 for us. A couple during the week for the sports/swimming stuff that cant wait(OH is swimming instructor) and then a marathon session starting friday night & finishing when basket is empty. The load size of my new machine is bigger & it makes life a bit easier as it would havce been 8-9 with the old one.

Bizzy
    • katglasgow
    • By katglasgow 21st Feb 06, 11:51 AM
    • 380 Posts
    • 293 Thanks
    katglasgow
    • 21st Feb 06, 11:51 AM
    • 21st Feb 06, 11:51 AM
    I have a 2 year old and hubby.
    Like Kate I only do my bedding every 2 weeks - I have been worrying about whether this is "OK" or not recently, I'm glad someone else is like me!
    I wash the towels the in between week - but change handtowel in bathroom weekly.
    I probably do 1 wash most days - 4 to 6 a week. This depends on my OH who sometimes "forgets" to put his shirt in the washing basket and wears the same one to work every day - yuck!
    Me debt free thanks to MSE
  • Heth
    [QUOTE=katglasgow]I have a 2 year old and hubby.
    Like Kate I only do my bedding every 2 weeks - I have been worrying about whether this is "OK" or not recently, I'm glad someone else is like me!
    I wash the towels the in between week - but change handtowel in bathroom weekly.

I only wash the bedding every 10 days - two weeks. We have two sets of the same bedding so alternate them, so don't have to do the washing on the same day. I think this is 'ok', we wash every day and air the bed during the day time as well. We wash towels when we feel they need washing.
  • lolabug
    A couple of loads a week at most but there is only me and OH just at weekends. I would be able to do it less but I often run out of clothes as I don't have that many. I change the bed when I remember which is approx monthly. Towels get changed when they look grubby and I probably use the same bath towel for at least a week. (But look at the showering thread...I don't use it that much!)

I think everyone is probably much cleaner than me to be honest.
  • JayneH
    At least two loads a day! I try and remember to wash one load overnight on economy 7, and I am looking forward to when the clocks change as then I will be able to wash both loads on economy 7.
    So many shoes, so little time....
    • robnye
    • By robnye 21st Feb 06, 12:07 PM
    • 5,333 Posts
    • 1,121 Thanks
    robnye
    too much...... OH is alweays moaning about washing basket being full...... racks being full...... weather outside so she cant get the washing dry....... then comes the ironing pile....... and then pile of dry clothes waiting to be sorted.....
    smile --- it makes people wonder what you are up to....
    • calleyw
    • By calleyw 21st Feb 06, 12:13 PM
    • 8,907 Posts
    • 16,199 Thanks
    calleyw
    As there is only two of us it tends to be two loads one week and three the following.

As I change bend linen once a fortnight. And new towels every week. But the dirty ones are dried and then put in the basket for washing with the bed linen as I do that pants on a 60 or a 90 degree wash just depends on how much time I have.

The other two loads are normally colours and as we wear t-shirts and trousers twice before washing that helps cuts down on the loads.

Also they are normally full loads unless I need something clean like now then it will be a half load. But that tends to be rare.

I don't have many clothes. I have 4 pairs of trousers and load of t-shirts and fleeces that I use as jumpers. But they get washed when they look dirty rather than a set time period. Like two wears etc.

Yours

Calley
    Last edited by calleyw; 21-02-2006 at 12:16 PM.
  • black-saturn
    I've got me and 2 children and I do about 4 washes a week but I wait till I've got a full load before I put the washer on.
    • comping cat
    • By comping cat 21st Feb 06, 12:35 PM
    • 23,808 Posts
    • 3,165,181 Thanks
    comping cat
    There are three of us (DS, DD and me) and we prob have a load a day. I wash the childrens bedding every two weeks, mine every one or two weeks, depends on the weather, as i love freshly washed bedding!!!! I wash the had towel in the bathroom daily, and the bath towels, all 3 of us use once, then its washed.
    • kiwichick
    • By kiwichick 21st Feb 06, 12:44 PM
    • 1,836 Posts
    • 2,828 Thanks
    kiwichick
    Hmmmm, this thread has me thinking now about our water usage. The house we are moving too is on a meter(bah humbug) and we are not allowed to have it disconected.

My washing machine has a quickwash cycle but I'm not sure it it means it usesless water or just takes less time??? Anyone know??
    WW Start Weight 18/04/12 = 19st 11lbs
    Weight today = 17st 6.5lbs
    Loss to date 32.5lbs!!!
    • Zziggi
    • By Zziggi 21st Feb 06, 12:45 PM
    • 2,385 Posts
    • 2,234 Thanks
    Zziggi
    2 adults, 2 kids (both in washable nappies).

I always check that clothes are wiffy and/or dirty before putting them on the washing pile. I always wash full loads. CHange bedding & towels once a fortnight unless necessity requires more frequently. Despite doing this i end up washing every day - some days 2 loads. I reckon about 9 loads a week.

Where does it all come from? How did our grandparents manage without automatic machines?
    • MATH
    • By MATH 21st Feb 06, 1:05 PM
    • 2,931 Posts
    • 5,603 Thanks
    MATH
    For 2 adults and three children (5,9,10) I do 9-11 full loads a week in a 10k machine (equivalent to 18-22 standard machine loads) Gymnastics, cross country, keep fit, football practice, ballet have a lot to answer for. LOL
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
    • Becles
    • By Becles 21st Feb 06, 1:11 PM
    • 12,864 Posts
    • 26,180 Thanks
    Becles
    I normally save all the clothes up and wash them in 3-4 loads over the weekend.
    Both bathroom and kitchen towels get washed on a Monday.
    Our bedding gets washed on a Tuesday.
    Kids bedding gets washed on a Wednesday.
    Thursday is "yukky stuff" like muddy dog towels, dogs bed covers and the doormats.
    The washer has a day off on Fridays

I like my little routine as it's the only way I remember to do things
    Here I go again on my own....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,811Posts Today

7,356Users online

Martin's Twitter