PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Gingerbread men and other ginger bread recipes

Comments

• helen81_2
    helen81_2 Posts: 1,845 Forumite
    Hi, mine also came out lovely (minus the bicarb!)

The only fault with them was that they were VERY gingery cos as I was putting the ginger in,my little lad knocked my hand and loads tipped in!

very quick and easy to make....highly recommend these! :D
    love my little man he is amazing :j
  • mandy_moo_1
    mandy_moo_1 Posts: 1,201 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I've been baking!!!
    I've made a LOAD of biscuits...just hope there'll be some left for when the kids get home!!
    I used the recipe that's on here for gingerbread men (thanks Tigs78 :D) but as well as using ginger in one batch, i substituted it for lemon rind & a tsp cinammon to make lemony ones and cocoa powder & choc chips to make choccy ones!!!
    They're yummy so i'm dead chuffed with meself cos i'm not the world's greatest baker at the best of times :p
  • rchddap1
    rchddap1 Posts: 5,926 Forumite
    Now that's a good idea....would be nice in my HM picnic this weekend (as long as the weather's nice that is)....must find the recipe.
    Baby Year 1: Oh dear...on the move

Lily contracted Strep B Meningitis Dec 2006 :eek: Now seemingly a normal little monster. :beer:
    Love to my two angels that I will never forget.
  • Lulubells
    Lulubells Posts: 187 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Wow - these are fab, me and my three year old made them this afternoon and they are delicious.

Thanks for posting

Lulubells
    Currently on a life sort-out !! ...reducing bills, decluttering and getting into fitness - busy bee ;)
  • choccyface2006
    choccyface2006 Posts: 2,304 Forumite
    I bought some cookie cutters and thought that DD and I could make some biscuits next week, thought she would love decorating them so have bought an icing bag too.

Does anyone have a simple recipe for gingerbread or other biscuits?

Thank you!

Sarah & Megan x
  • MessyTessie
    MessyTessie Posts: 66 Forumite
    Check out this link here it's the Bero Flour receipe which I used lots, that reminds me OH asked for some a while ago.

Happy baking
  • choccyface2006
    choccyface2006 Posts: 2,304 Forumite
    Thats great, thanks, so many wonderful recipes!
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    On their main home page if you click on "About us" you can (at the bottom of the page) find the address to order their book for about £1.50

It has every recipe on the site plus conversion tables and handy hints such as freezing times.

It comes well recommended, honest :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    ooooo so many recipes!!!!
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • snowball2
    snowball2 Posts: 204 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Uniform Washer
    I use this recipe for making gingerbread men/shapes for school cakes stalls and they are always popular! I quite often get pre orders for them :o

Gingerbread
    (makes approx. 22 4" men/shapes)

450g (1 lb) plain flour
    1 tbls ground ginger
    1 tbls mixed spice
    8 tbls golden syrup
    75g (3 oz) butter
    75g (3 oz) soft light brown sugar
    1 tbls bicarbonate of soda
    2 tbls water
    1 egg
    1 egg yolk

Heat the oven to 190c, 375f, gas mark 5

Sift the flour, ginger & spice into a mixing bowl.

Place the syrup, butter & sugar in saucepan stir over a low heat until melted.

Dissolve the bicarb in to the water in a bowl, and then add to the dry ingredients with syrup mixture, egg & yolk. Mix well with a wooden spoon to form soft dough.

Roll out to a 5mm (1/4 inch) thickness, cut into biscuit shapes and place onto a non stick baking tray.

Bake in oven for 10 mins, allow to cool for 10 mins on baking tray then transferring to cooling rack until completely cold before decorating.
    (If using 2 trays swap them around after 5 mins in the oven)

I use chocolate for decorating
    Break into small pieces (buttons are prefect size) place in a plastic piping bag microwave on full power in 20 second blasts until melted (massage the chocolate in the bag in between blasts) snip the end of the bag and pipe chocolate onto gingerbread biscuits, decorate with sweets stuck on with melted chocolate blobs.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure