We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Daydream fund challenge part 4

Options

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Garden before house for me. :) You only have yourself to please at present, Fay, which makes choosing easier.....maybe. Just so long as the house is reasonably sound....

Anyone can find themselves having to leave a well-loved garden. Last year, when DW was unable to walk far or get much done out of doors, we didn't discuss leaving here, but it was in the back of our minds and we've talked about it since. The high maintenance parts of this property could be sold off with their own access, so there's flexibility, but I'm not sure we'd want to do that. Luckily, for now, we don't need to make any decisions.

The dierama won't have a massive root structure, but if you do decide to pot it, resist the temptation to give it lots of water.
  • Fay
    Fay Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks for that tip Dave! It's sad leaving something I've worked hard on when it's not my choice to go, but nothing I can do. A new garden will be a nice challenge but I doubt I'll find a house/spot I feel quite so safe and secure in.
    It's good you've got options there. Choice is important
  • alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    FAY... pleased to see you back ..

I ADORED my last house.. quirky, magical but became a pain in the butt logistically..
    moved to what is [to me] a more modern house now.. missed my quirky one for a good 3 months then I realised how chilled out I was in this one, how "easier" life was here.. now I have made it mine..
    still lots to do in the garden but it can wait and I do it when I feel like it..
    I brought with me as many pots of plants and bagged rooted shrubs etc as I could and now I look at the wisteria finally gaining strength, flowering by my front door.. the camellia that LIR bought me as a house warming flowered brilliantly too. I have clematis, honey suckle, climbing hydrangea , flame of the forest, rose bushes and lots more that I brought to here ... SO a little bit of my quirky life has started anew here.
    new start for you AND your plants :D
  • Fay
    Fay Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks Alfie. I think a fresh start will do me good. I'm struggling to see anything out there currently to attract me but I keep telling myself by the time I'm ready to make an offer there will be something lol. I have amassed quite a little collection already including about 20 hostas so need to find somewhere with a suitable host a place...or make one he he
    My most important consideration s that it's safe for my cat, who will be staying with me, despite what the ex keeps threatening!
  • alfie_1
    First Post
    Options
    years ago my ex ex arranged for MY 2 Labradors to be rehomed with some stranger [behind my back ]when he thought id have no where to move to !! his feet didn't touch the ground when I found out ...
    I moved to my "quirky" house with MY dogs and he ended up back with his parents :rotfl::rotfl:

its called KARMA ;)
  • alfie_1
    First Post
    Options
    well we had THE most amazing light show last night !
    it was like star wars !!
    gorgeous day again today and the short rainfall did the garden good ...

I am having to mow the lawns AGAIN ! I cant keep up with it !
    mums coming over for the day tomorrow just to potter in the garden , got her a nice piece of salmon for her dinner..

went to see dad today but he was so sound asleep I didn't like to wake him..

son is off to south Africa for 2 weeks on the 7th june ... so envy him !

im sat with a cuppa knowing I have to go finish planting some pots up .... just one more biskwit .......

have a good bank holiday peeps xx
  • choille
    choille Posts: 9,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Lucielle they do that here with the sheep chasers - quite effective I hear.

Welcome back fay - hope things go well. The garden stuff is great to move plants & plan - but things will come together hopefully soon. It must be frustrating. I am pleased I started on the outside first as the trees are a brilliant shelter from the road & elements - too much sometimes with the midgies.

Hope it goes well.

Tried moving sheep yesterday & the madness of the NC500 got really dangerous & silly - people driving through the sheep & at them. Hurling abuse - I hurled plenty back. Had half a dozen crazies & the sheep just took themselves back up the hill - as if they'd had enough too after a couple of hours of that. Got up at 5 am & shifted them then, so quite tired now as I just stayed up as it has been glorious.
    Put some stuff on Gumtree & the guy came for that this afternoon so I am pleased - little things but surplus and in the way.
    Haven't done a tenth of what I had planned for today but it will have to wait.
    Son has some damn fine holibobs Alfie - jealous so I am. You sound busy busy bee.
    Dave hope Mrs Dave isn't being overworked & everything is going good.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    choille wrote: »
    Dave hope Mrs Dave isn't being overworked & everything is going good.
    After 3 more days on it, we've got the nursery area sorted: all the dead stuff removed, weeds dealt with, many plants re-potted and so on. We even made a new section behind the barn for the plants that don't appreciate being baked....but it's taken a toll on Mrs Dave, who needs a rest. :(

Now, today, BiL has decided he needs to widen the area for his caravan, so instead of getting on with the new garden, I'll be doing that.:undecided Also, the Outlaws are coming down for a few days....I think we may as well write the coming week off, but hopefully, it may yet enable us to put up a new windbreak fence.

What you say about getting the trees in first is so true. Our main garden now has the yew hedges, without which it would get even more battered by the unseasonal winds we often have nowadays. Our problem was that the previous people put their wind breaks too close to the house, so most had to come out.

I would go mad with all those folk getting so impatient with the sheep. Here, people just sit and wait....unless it's school run. Woe-betide anyone who messes with school run timing! :eek:
  • choille
    choille Posts: 9,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You're a right slave driver Dave. Good that you've got things sorted - you both sound very organised. I am quite shambolic - I like to call it organic - all the weeds and the like.
    I must cut the grass before it becomes all bent over and ridiculous. It's another beautiful day here - truly glorious.
    Took teenager collie up the hill last night and let him off for a run and he actually came back! I found an old bottle dump and must go back and lift the broken glass.
    So much to do - I would like to lift some self seeders before hoeing up the side of the track - see I'm that tight, I can't bear to throw anything out. I may pot them up, bring them on & do gate sales, but we'll see.
    Neighbours this morning for a hoover through - I think she's getting more muddled. It's a worry.
  • alfie_1
    First Post
    Options
    hi all

well it hit 28 degrees here today ....
    got lawns done and strimmed while mum sat with my old festival straw hat on [looking like worzel gummage ] with a cuppa and carrot cake :) she loves just watching all the birds on the feeders.
    cooked her a nice bit of salmon then strawbs and cream the took her home about 5.30
    THEN ON THE WAY BACK THE HEAVENS OPENED :eek:
    oh my word it was huge water bombs !! then when I got home it was sunshine again .... did the garden good tho ;)

feral cat is getting cheeky now and waiting in my porch on a morning ....

my shopping bill for all the animogs per week is double MY food bill :o
    but id be lost without them all :D

hope mrs dave feels better after a rest.. hows the new neighbours ?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback