2 year old iPad mini 4 No longer holding charge

I bought an iPad mini 4 through a contract with o2. I finished paying it off a few months ago and it just over 2 years old. I didn't use it excessively nor did I let the battery run down.

Last year(December time) I stopped using it as much as I tended to use my phone. I kept it charged and it used to go days holding its charge if it wasn't in use. In the last few months I have noticed it won't keep its charge very long at all. I have tried to use different plugs/outlets and turned it on airplane mode while charging. Still, it loosing the charge. I don't use it at all because of this.

I know it probably only has a one year warranty but I was wondering if it would be worth emailing apple/o2 to enquire about a repair?

Comments

• marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    popadom wrote: »
    I bought an iPad mini 4 through a contract with o2. I finished paying it off a few months ago and it just over 2 years old. I didn't use it excessively nor did I let the battery run down.

Last year(December time) I stopped using it as much as I tended to use my phone. I kept it charged and it used to go days holding its charge if it wasn't in use. In the last few months I have noticed it won't keep its charge very long at all. I have tried to use different plugs/outlets and turned it on airplane mode while charging. Still, it loosing the charge. I don't use it at all because of this.

I know it probably only has a one year warranty but I was wondering if it would be worth emailing apple/o2 to enquire about a repair?

What do you mean by 'use it excessively'? Letting a battery run down is also fine, not sure what you mean by these two things.

How long does it keeps its charge when being used? You just say 'not long at all.' What do you mean you've tried different plugs? Depending on the app you are using it is totally possible for a phone to use more battery than it is being charged with.

Can you state your issues with the iPad more clearly as most people don't use these things whilst plugged in, so using that as a benchmark is skewed.
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If you mean you kept it at 100% as much as you could then this is very bad for the battery. 60-80 is better for when it is not in use. As is lots of charging to around 80 percent if you use it rather than anything else.

Again never let it get below 10 percent as this is very bad for the battery and if you do it enough it will not hold a charge though conventional charging methods.

Either way 2 years is good for a battery unless you have a strict policy of keeping the battery not too charged or too low. These are things you expect to need changed at such an age.
  • popadom
    popadom Posts: 822 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    What do you mean by 'use it excessively'? Letting a battery run down is also fine, not sure what you mean by these two things.

How long does it keeps its charge when being used? You just say 'not long at all.' What do you mean you've tried different plugs? Depending on the app you are using it is totally possible for a phone to use more battery than it is being charged with.

Can you state your issues with the iPad more clearly as most people don't use these things whilst plugged in, so using that as a benchmark is skewed.

Sorry, I didn't mean not to be clear.
    By excessively I mean I didn't use it every day for hours watching videos. I mainly use it for browsing the web.

I tried using different plugs/wires incase it was those causing the issues

I would say a few hours, maybe two? I am normally just reading articles online, so no heavy apps.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Have you done a Google search for 'Ipad mini not holding charge'.

Several suggestions available.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport