Phone given to a six year old?

Comments

• NineDeuce
    NineDeuce Posts: 997 Forumite
    Mojisola wrote: »
    Because her Mum has given it to her - if Mum wants to cause trouble between Dad and child, undercut her machinations and go with the flow.

If the child has the same games available on an ipad, chances are she'll prefer to use that and the whole issue will go away.

Our kids had access to a computer at home long before their peers because we had it for business use - learning to use it and play games on it didn't stop us also getting them outside for adventure play, using tools to make things, inventing stuff, doing art work, etc.

It's just another thing that will always be part of their lives.

Lazy excuses. If I felt that having a mobile phone at the age of 6 is of detriment to my child (which it would be) then I wouldnt just 'undercut her machinations and go with the flow'. That is just a ridiculous stance.

Home computers are very different things to mobile phones, and so this is not a relevant comparison. You cant go out and stare at your home computer screens while out in social, educational or external environments.

Checking your Facebook updates constantly just in case somebody put a photo of what they had for breakfast up in the last 2 minutes does affect that
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    NineDeuce wrote: »
    Lazy excuses. If I felt that having a mobile phone at the age of 6 is of detriment to my child (which it would be) then I wouldnt just 'undercut her machinations and go with the flow'. That is just a ridiculous stance.

That's your view but not mine.
  • NineDeuce
    takman wrote: »
    But how is having a phone with sim card in it somehow worse than having a tablet?

Where did I say it wasnt?
  • NineDeuce
    onlyroz wrote: »
    Or listen to music, the radio or podcasts.

Or to take photographs.

Or to learn another language (Duolingo is excellent, and my daughter has been using Google Translate to speak to me in Spanish).

My also daughter uses hers as the controller for her Just Dance game on the PS4.

Because the average child will not use their phone to use Duolingo, will they?

The dangers of overexposure to social media, overreliance on an electronic device, phone addiction potential and detriment to actual social skills outweigh the benefits of being able to have an in-built controller for a Just Dance game..... or not?
  • onlyroz
    onlyroz Posts: 17,661 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Because the average child will not use their phone to use Duolingo, will they?

The dangers of overexposure to social media, overreliance on an electronic device, phone addiction potential and detriment to actual social skills outweigh the benefits of being able to have an in-built controller for a Just Dance game..... or not?
    Not quite sure why you keep going on about social media - I thought we were talking about using smart phones here, not signing your kids up to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and snapchat. Where has it been suggested that this 6-year-old will be doing any of those things?
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,571 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post

Home computers are very different things to mobile phones, and so this is not a relevant comparison. You cant go out and stare at your home computer screens while out in social, educational or external environments.

Checking your Facebook updates constantly just in case somebody put a photo of what they had for breakfast up in the last 2 minutes does affect that

I agree with you that many people become addicted/attached to phones to a ridiculous extent.

But surely it's better to teach children how to use the phone. I don't see how keeping them away from them will help. It's just putting it off.

Left to their own devices (excuse pun:o) many children would stuff their faces with sweets, never clean their teeth or get dressed. No responsible adult would just 'go with the flow' on that.

There's a huge amount of leeway and opportunity to educate children between 'go with the flow' and being a modern day Canute.
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    I have an iPad and iPhone at mine and her mother had the same at her house, there is no need for a six year old girl to have a iPhone, I’m not happy and I’m going to send a message saying so.
    She can use an iPad for FaceTime and I agree about the eyesight and how can she be monitored on a website all the time.

how cant she? you restrict what she can access, you can also limit time, my sons is set up he cant get any apps without me approving them on mine.

Both my kids have learnt so much from tablets and phones they can be fun and educational
  • Seanymph
    Seanymph Posts: 2,873 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    She's six, you can manage this without a confrontation with her mum - keep her busy, offer the tablet, leave it on the side and don't charge it.....

You and her mum will not see eye to eye on any number of things - going in swinging will not help your daughter in the long run, and you cannot control what she does when she isn't with you.

On an access visit my ex got my daughters ears pierced, I had always been against the idea, thought they were too young, he knew I hated it - but his new, heavily pierced girlfriend and he decided that if they wanted it done that was fine.

I didn't even pick the phone up - no doubt he watched it for a couple of days all excited waiting for the call, but by then I'd got sick of trying to reason with someone who used our children as tools to try to undermine and hurt me.

You and your ex have a long long dance ahead of you - it's a simless phone. In reality, in the bigger picture, how is your tablet different? If it IS screensize then just say to your daughter - the tablet is here, it's bigger, that's easier to use, I have no issue with your phone (it stays downstairs, no phones in the bedroom) - but I'd rather you used the tablet.

Leave the posturing with the ex out of it - you can't control her any more - shared parenting doesn't give you any rights over her decisions, nor does it give you the casting vote on how your daughter should be raised.

In an ideal world you would raise her by consensus, but if that isn't going to happen (and clearly it isn''t) then you have to make the best of it and cause as little damage as you can.
  • The rule of thumb is if it's her mother that's given her the phone it's all good and she can do no wrong since she's her mother. If you would have given her a phone, then you are the bad parent making life difficult for her mum.

That's life
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    But how is having a phone with sim card in it somehow worse than having a tablet?
    I think that's the question you need to be prepared to respond to. You say she can use your ipad to play games and facetime, so what's the difference? I expect her mum is addicted to her phone, DD got used to seeing her on it and is regularly asking her to let her phone to play games. Mum got a new phone so gave her old one to DD to play these games.

I'm sorry to say but you picked the woman to have a child with, you can't now turn her into another person who share the same values than you. Your DD will be exposed to things her mum considers appropriate whether you like it or not.

If you want to be a good influence, make sure to arrange a lot of activities for your DD when she is with you so she doesn't feel the need to go on the phone. Tell her that when she is with you, you decide when she can play with the phone and agree on a time when she can.

You are much more likely to get your DD not to realise that there is more than to play on a phone this way than by fighting a lost battle with her mum.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure