A bit lost

Hi - a complete newbie here - so please be gentle :o
Ok so I have had pretty much every credit card and mortgage under the sun at some point since uni days (a long time ago!!)

I always remember where possible rejecting and 'add-ons' in terms of cover or insurances etc etc - I was always very careful to reduce my monthly outgoings.

So anyway - I have contacted various card and mortgage companies to just see if I had PPI - to my surprise it turns out I have had on a few. Here is the problem - I didn't want to go through a claims company but I'm finding myself bamboozled into backing down. A couple have come back basically stating it was their policy to make customers aware of PPI terms and conditions and that it was not compulsory - and there is no reason to believe this was not the case when I allegedly signed up.

The thing is I have no recollection of ever agreeing to PPI I just can't imagine it's something I would have done. But that is a pretty poor argument for miss-selling. There is one in particular with Northern Rock and I honestly for the life of me do not remember to agreeing to PPI.

I'm aware that ignorance is no defence - but I just don't want to be bullied into giving up when I'm sure I wouldn't have willingly signed up to it.

At the time I was in employment - with fairly standard redundancy and sickness benefits. I did have life insurance with company and not that it's guaranteed - a supportive family / partner who would help out if ever the situation arose that I couldn't work. No huge savings as such. So yes I would have been in the criteria it appears for a valid policy - I just don't think I would have willingly signed up for it ever.

Any constructive advice appreciated (sorry for long one)
x

Comments

• It doesn't appear you have any valid mis selling complaint. You can escalate to FOS if you disagree with their decision.

They're not bullying you into anything. But well done on not using a claims company. You've at least dodged a bullet there.
  • LW337 wrote: »
    I have no recollection of ever agreeing to PPI I just can't imagine it's something I would have done. But that is a pretty poor argument for miss-selling.
    As you say, ignorance is no defence.
    PPI was not routinely added without the knowledge and permission of the customer, so you failing to remember signing up for it is no indication of any wrong doing.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,480 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    LW337 wrote: »
    There is one in particular with Northern Rock and I honestly for the life of me do not remember to agreeing to PPI.

I don't remember what I did last week. I certainly don't remember what I did twenty years ago. It's a claims company myth that it was added without poermission or agrrement.
    Thik about it. If a claims ompany told you it was charging [ prior to April] upwards of 50% for something that would cost you a stamp, would you agree to that?
    How much better does it sound if they tell you that it was added without your permission so sign up with us and we'll use our special knowledge to sort things out for you....

In your case, complaining is easy. If you have no idea or need to know more about any credit you had, send a SAR to any company you had credit with. This will tell you if you had it, and whether there is any evidence left, and then you can complain about it, or if you didn't so don't bother. You could try phoning and asking about anything you had more recently.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,480 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Also...MPPI is not the same as PPI, t has a muh lower uphold rate, if a broker sold it, they werent regulated until 2005, and some mortgages, it was compulsory to have it.

Write list of who you had it with, who sold it to you and when, and we'll tell you whether it's worth complaining about...
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure