Grain Free Quality Dog food

Hi, Im looking to find the best priced, high quality Grain Free dog food for my pooch. This is probably the savviest place to ask haha!! Ive googled for what feels like days!! Needless to say there is many brands offering Grain Free but many have low meat content (a third or less %). Why do they all hide this important info!?. On top of that may sting you with hidden delivery costs. Does anyone know of any brands that offer good quality, natural, healthy food with upfront details and an effortless personal service - at a reasonable price....PLEASE!! :rotfl: hahaha!! Thank you so much in advance for your tips and recommendations!! Iori

Comments

• anna_1977
    anna_1977 Posts: 862
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I used Canagan Dog food for years - it's pretty pricey but was great for the dog.....

Other ones cheaper are Arden Grange - again a good one

Big thing is to shop about when you do decide on one, Amazon isn't always the best deal
  • Thanks. Yes looked at Canagan looks great but like you say a little heavy on the purse. Amazon seem to mainly sell the large corporation brands that have minimal meat content also. Thanks for the tip ill keep searching
  • Callie22
    Callie22 Posts: 3,444
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Zooplus have lots of different brands and they list all of the ingredients on the site. Their prices are pretty good and they have a loyalty scheme where for a relatively small initial cost (a few pounds) you can get 3 or 5% off your orders for a year. I use them for cat food from time to time and have never had any problems.
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 6 February 2019 at 11:05AM
    Welcome to MSE. :)

Do bear in mind that some pet food ingredients that do not meet the narrow EU definition of "meat" may represent quality nutrition for domestic dogs and cats, such as "meat and fish derivatives".

For example chicken breast is shockingly low in micronutrients (vitamins and minerals) whereas organs/ offal that most Westerners find unpalatable (lungs/ spleen/ liver/ heart) are very rich in micronutrients.

Bozita (Zooplus/ online) in cans or tetrapacks is very high meat content and very well priced. Butchers in cans is high in meat derivatives and widely available (Wilko/ supermarkets/ Pets at Home). At least some of their dog foods are grain free (all their cat foods are).

HTH!
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • Hi Iori, totally feel you on this! We went through the exact same process about a year ago when we got our dog Dorris. My husband and I researched everything we could that was available and even requested free samples off many. Like you say many have quite low meat content and the fancy brands like Lillys Kitchen and Tails to name a few actual fit into this bracket unfortunately. I think they don’t openly state the meat content as many people see the ‘grain free’ and assume they’re perfect. You’re not the only person going through this dilemma - we were lucky to meet a lovely lady while out walking Dorris who passed on info on a brand that seemed to fit the bill for us. They’re called Moonjoon. Dorris has been on their food for nearly 11 months now and she’s doing amazing! We order the food from their website ‘moonjoon nutrition’ and its delivered next day for free. Hope this helps you :money::T
  • harrys_nan
    harrys_nan Posts: 1,777
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    https://www.millieswolfheart.co.uk/

This is what I buy for my dog, plenty of choice in flavours
    Treat other's how you like to be treated.

Harry born 23/09/2008
    New baby grandson, Louie born 28/06/2012,
    Proud nanny to two beautiful boys :j
    And now I have the joy of having my foster granddaughter becoming my real granddaughter. Can't ask for anything better

UPDATE,
    As of today 180919. my granddaughter is now my official granddaughter, adoption finally granted
  • Second vote for Millies. It's brilliant.
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    This is what I buy https://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/dog-food-reviews/1797/wolf-of-wilderness-adult-dry-food

It's rated well and is a good price. You currently get a free sample of the wet food from Zooplus at the moment if you buy a 12kg bag.
  • My boy is on a food brand called CSJ. Its not readily available in the shops, its pretty much online order and you have it delivered. His breeder had him on it when he was born and he's still on it at 8years old. He LOVES it! Its £11 for a 15kg bag so really cheap. No sure what its contents are, but if you give them a ring they will help you a lot, and if you ask for some samples they will send you some free of charge.
    If you google CSJ you will find their website
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport