Santa's Challenge 2015 - Xmas, Birthdays, a chat, a bit of everything

Comments

• Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,513
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    The school will now be worrying because once word gets around it is bad publicity- and they won't want that.
    A letter to the Govs should have an impact. Well actually a letter to anyone at school (not an e-mail) because hey, someone has to deal with it.
    I'm not sure that putting the girls in different classes will work because surely those classes overlap , interact at times - assuming some of the core lessons are streamed.
    I would be advising Miss Hoodie to keep well away from so-called friend.However I know it's not as easy as that........
    On the positive side the academic things were good!

Glad to hear the hospital trip was positive too.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks
    -Stash busting: 337 in 2022
    Stash busting: in 2023. 120 doggy duvets, 24 shopping bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lavender bags,36 crochet angels,9 woven bones, 1 crochet knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramid pouches = total 420...£119.50 spent- £114.50 earned= total spend £5. Total earned for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets, 24 pyramid pouches, 6 hot water bottle covers, 4 knitted beanies, 1 crochet angel= 58 £61 spent!!! already
  • mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    Write a letter, addressed to the head and do a copy separately for the head of the board of goes their name should be on schools web site, if they are part of a group Send a copy to the head of the high school they feed to and hand deliver to there also. By hand delivering they can't claim they didn't get it and if you write on the bottom of each letter who you've Also sent copies to they will have to do something.
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • mum2one
    mum2one Posts: 16,279
    Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    A massive thank you, apparently today the head of yr spoke to miss Hoodie and the other girl, told them be civil, sit apart, (they only sit together in 2 classes), and the other girl apologised to Miss H.

Miss H came home with another school friend tonight, - hopefully get somewhere, - def keep chipping away at the school.

Exicitng day, the Boots 90% sale.... I did get some wrapping paper for 30p roll, gift tags 15p pack, - apart from some "celeb" perfume and "union J" sets... left them there.

There was a glitch picked up on, if you spend £10 on santuary spa - get a free gift set - it can be used buying the mini products (3 for 2),
    3 mini hand creams - £2.50 each 3 4 2 £5.00 * 2 sets = free gift.

Shouldn't laugh - been kitting reindeer kids jumpers, wool got been knitting better than planned, - got some different wool, - got 3 balls, - run out, 1 sleeve short... tried 2 shops cant get the same colour... they dont know what comes in! could be fun.

xx
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
  • mum2one
    Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    As were approaching the most romantic day (or should I say the first off the open your wallets and purses for the retaliers).....

A bit of fun..........

Who would you most like to spend valentines day with...

What celeb chef would you like to cook for you....

What would your ideal day be....

xx
  • mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    I'm getting my ideal valentines day, the boys are both going to a concert and staying overnight DS1is treating DS2 and being responsible for him. So that leaves us home alone for the evening. If weathers not too bad might go for a walk to our fave beauty spot, or walk into town and get a pint at nice quiet pub there, then home for a meal (possibly get a mrT meal deal with wine, still cheaper than going out) then a dvd and early night.
    I've got my perfect man so wouldn't thank anyone for a celeb and cos were veggies and don't like over fancified food I wouldn't really want a designer chef to inflict anything on us. God that makes us sound Mr and Mrs boring doesn't it, but we genuinely are happy with our lot!

Glad things are looking better at school for miss hoodie but make sure you note everything that's happening, what is done and if it works then you have paperwork to fall back on should you need it.
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • Katiehound
    Forumite
    Ha ha, I dashed into a branch of Boots- a few Sanctuary minis but no free gifts! The only "bargains" were tiny chocolate balls wrapped in foil- exp date before Christmas 2015 so I walked out empty handed!!
    Visited the new Mr T in Lincoln (said to be the largest in Europe?) but needless to say could not find the items I wanted. Found a chap with a lollipop saying "Can I help you?" but he had to ask another member of staff stacking shelves 'cos he couldn't actually help me!!!
    have done my tescoviews.com survey- 25 points
    Fields are still covered in snow on the Wolds- looked very wintery but the roads were clear enough.
    Yesterday shopped around for my car insurance- managed to lop off £230 +£50 in shopping vouchers but want to check the small print when the paperwork arrives as I can't quite believe my luck
    Many thanks
    Stash busting: in 2023. 120 doggy duvets, 24 shopping bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lavender bags,36 crochet angels,9 woven bones, 1 crochet knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramid pouches = total 420...£119.50 spent- £114.50 earned= total spend £5. Total earned for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets, 24 pyramid pouches, 6 hot water bottle covers, 4 knitted beanies, 1 crochet angel= 58 £61 spent!!! already
  • BirdSeed
    BirdSeed Posts: 133
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi there. Please may I join your challenge/thread?

I'm quite pleased with myself so far:

- added to Christmas decoration stock by buying sale items ( I lived abroad for a few years so had absolutely nothing Christmas wise last year so everything was new, and expensive!)
    - bought wrap and cards for pennies
    -I've opened a credit union account and am putting £50 per month into the Christmas club. Ideally this money will be for presents although we might use it towards food or Christmas dinner somewhere or a family trip away, not sure yet
    - have contacted a local restaurant to see if we can be placed on their Christmas dinner reservation list. There will be c.14 of us so I'm not holding out on this one. If we're not able to go there then I will look elsewhere but we will need to pay deposits and the rest of the family isn't that great at saving or budgeting which is why we've never managed to do this before. If they can't save or pay the deposit then we might do something separate or then think about going away.
    - last year I had 27 family members on the gift list, this was before secret Santa at work, charity shoe boxes, chocolates for local police, fire and ambulance, nursery teachers and friends' kids. It was mayhem and so expensive. This year I am going to propose a secret Santa style theme with the family adults, either per person or in couples. Even if we said £100 -£150 that would be a massive saving but also enough for a decent gift. It's hard to buy a great present for everyone for £20. Last year we pretty much all bought each other gift vouchers which is a waste of time really. I think also we will agree on a price with friends kids as we spent around £20 per child but got quite cheap gifts back.I don't want to give to receive or be ungrateful but I have one child and our friends a have 2,3 or 4. I try to family gifts like boArd games or multi player games but it doesn't always work when the ages are far apart. Maybe it's me and not them as no one forced me to spend that much!! Maybe it'd because we havent had gifts before because we lived away. I might need to be more.practical and less materialistic?

Oh well after that lightbulb moment I will leave you. I will update when I next sort something out. Got Valentine's sorted, going for lunch as all the family members who would babysit are out in the evening. Lunch is cheaper!!�� No gifts, just cards.

Best wishes
    Birdy

A vision without a plan is just a dream.
  • mum2one
    Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    BirdSeed wrote: »
    Hi there. Please may I join your challenge/thread?

I'm quite pleased with myself so far:

- added to Christmas decoration stock by buying sale items ( I lived abroad for a few years so had absolutely nothing Christmas wise last year so everything was new, and expensive!)

got to be cheeky or nosey and asked where you lived/

- bought wrap and cards for pennies -thats def a thrifty lady in the making

-I've opened a credit union account and am putting £50 per month into the Christmas club. Ideally this money will be for presents although we might use it towards food or Christmas dinner somewhere or a family trip away, not sure yet

sounds a great idea

- have contacted a local restaurant to see if we can be placed on their Christmas dinner reservation list. There will be c.14 of us so I'm not holding out on this one. If we're not able to go there then I will look elsewhere but we will need to pay deposits and the rest of the family isn't that great at saving or budgeting which is why we've never managed to do this before. If they can't save or pay the deposit then we might do something separate or then think about going away.

hope you get sorted with a booking, just check whether you would be able to reduce the numbers without any charge to you,family or not, you dont want to risk getting burnt

- last year I had 27 family members on the gift list, this was before secret Santa at work, charity shoe boxes, chocolates for local police, fire and ambulance, nursery teachers and friends' kids. It was mayhem and so expensive.
    wow, never mind the cost dont envy the wrapping

This year I am going to propose a secret Santa style theme with the family adults, either per person or in couples. Even if we said £100 -£150 that would be a massive saving but also enough for a decent gift. It's hard to buy a great present for everyone for £20.

def a great idea, a close friend does it, between her and hubby, they have 10 adults, 9 kids, - they do a secret santa of £50 for adult couple, whetehr thats £50 gift for both, or £25 each, the person buying decies, and £20 for kids

Last year we pretty much all bought each other gift vouchers which is a waste of time really. I think also we will agree on a price with friends kids as we spent around £20 per child but got quite cheap gifts back.I don't want to give to receive or be ungrateful but I have one child and our friends a have 2,3 or 4. I try to family gifts like boArd games or multi player games but it doesn't always work when the ages are far apart. Maybe it's me and not them as no one forced me to spend that much!! Maybe it'd because we havent had gifts before because we lived away. I might need to be more.practical and less materialistic?

Dot be daft, I have felt the same previously, I have 1 dd, where as family members/some friends have 2, 3, 4 kids, and it does get expensive, say I spent £15 per kid, i wouldnt expect that person with 4 kids, to spend £60 on dd, but I would have liked a nice present, - one family member - when DD was a baby/toddler - DD ended up with clothes (no prie tags), but size / store labels cut of the clothes, i have to say the best, was one xmas - "the relative", brought DD a soft toy, (no box, no label etc), a member of the same family, came with that present and one from them it was the same toy.boxed!!

Just a thought re the multi age groups, maybe do a mix and match hamper, game, chocs, snowman soups etc or a voucher towards a cinema trip.

What i have done over the last couple of yrs, is just said swap cards, as your find that most people want to cut the budgets but dont like to be the one to say it, and are over the moon that its been suggested, or say a token present, selection box etc

Oh well after that lightbulb moment I will leave you. I will update when I next sort something out. Got Valentine's sorted, going for lunch as all the family members who would babysit are out in the evening. Lunch is cheaper!!�� No gifts, just cards.

Best wishes
    Birdy

A big hi Birdy, sounds like some really prganised plans theres.
    valenties day lunch sounds lovely, that way you get the best of both worlds, the nice lunch, then together for the evening xxx
  • susan42
    susan42 Posts: 1,449 Forumite
    Hi Everyone,

checking in to see how your all doing with your challenges.

I got out of defrosting the freezer had to buy new :rotfl:

I`m struggling with the cleaning up, seem to have workmen everywhere. They`re in every room. With the electricians everywhere, the heating workmen everywhere. If I fall over any more raised floor boards:mad:

Angela - I did build the xmas village and I`ll try to upload it to you tube once I find it. The phone conked out and I``m hoping I`ve saved it somewhere :eek:

Welcome - birdy, our bit of mse doesn't move very fast, but i see you`ve done some great organising there already 27 family members and all the other gifts :eek: wow well done

Katiehound - well done on the insurance thats an excellent saving :T:T

mrs moneypenny - enjoy your valentine treat, its nice to have some me & him time and I don't think its boring, it sounds ideal to me

m21 - i like the secret santa idea, my friends and I are always stuck what to buy for each other, even doing secret santas, this year we have a limit of £5 and you have to buy as many things with it as you can. But your not allowed to buy 500 penny chews. I started already but I only have 4 things,
    A sticker book 19p
    A dvd 19p
    10 reusuable snack bags 10p
    And a door wedge thingy 25p
    Its actually quite difficult as you have to buy useful things I have a notepad on pen on my list and a pack of hankies...
    dont know what else
    Challenge 2018 - Learn by heart the Book by Wayne Morgan on Amazon - Betfair Football Trading as it helps to supplement my small income :beer:
  • Katiehound
    Forumite
    edited 14 February 2015 at 5:57PM
    Greetings from the east! (As far as the weather forecast is concerned it's the coastal strip when weather is bad, but not when it is hot and sunny!!) Today we must be on the coast as it has been chilly, dull and damp. (Nearest beach is 12 miles)

A friend and I have the £5 challenge for presents. The rule is that you are allowed to buy things anywhere! For her birthday she had a lovely £20 travel book (new) (£1.25 in a cheapie shop) and a new Scottish Woollen mill T shirt from a charity shop- label was still on it marked £8- on the bargain rail for £1! I just keep my eyes open all the time- especially £ shops, charity shops and car boot sales.
    Yesterday found a few bits in the reduced trolley in Morrisons. The best was a wipeable child's Christmas apron- was £4- now 25 pence. Sadly there was only one so I can see this could cause ructions! Might have to sew a couple of Christmas ones for the other 2 sproglets- but they won't be PVC.

Just congratulating myself on the money saving in the last 4 weeks! As already mentioned £230 + £50 shopping vouchers saved off car insurance, £59 saved off annual travel insurance, switched fuel supplier too- saving £50 annually + £30 cashback and some Tesco points. Today booked a ferry crossing to Ireland with my Tesco vouchers- cost me £9 saving £225!

The diet is going... reasonably! Have discovered that chick peas for a meal on the fasting day do make a good meal- and aren't they cheap! Mr T had them 4 for £1. For once am pleased to say I have lost something- not the will to live, but a few pounds in weight. Oh, and while I am typing this can try to kid myself I am not thinking of food!!!

For the £5 challenge you could buy everyday cheapie things like toothpaste @25 pence (most supermarkets) face flannel @30 pence (Wilco's) tablet soap @15 pence (Tesco) but that is a bit mundane!
    Many thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure